Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tip of stereo adapter broken inside iBook

Tip of stereo adapter broken inside iBook
dzp111
Senior User
Dec 12, 2007, 05:45 PM

That's the jist of it. The tip of stereo adapter broke off and is lodged inside iBook (2006) audio output.

My question is, should I venture and open the bottom and attempt to remove the piece.? Is that easy to do? Is there a site that would provided with step by step instructions for this?

Or should I just bring it in for repair and live without it for a week or 2?

I'm guessing that the adapter's flaw voids the warranty(?)

Thanks all.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 10:01 PM

Check out the iFixit Guides. They probably won't have your specific issue, but they will have instructions on how to take it apart.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 11:55 PM

Is the iBook still under Applecare? If it is, you definitely don't want to void your Applecare.

Some people with very steady hands have had success with putting some superglue on the tip of a toothpick or thin skewer. Or maybe they were too embarrassed to report that the toothpick got glued into the hole?

If any case, you can still get audio-out by using a USB audio interface, like the iMic

Griffin Technology: iMic

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2007, 12:04 AM

I suppose you could try a cotton bud, cotton bud stick, or cocktail stick with something sticky on the end, such as blue tack, preferably sticky held onto stick so that doesn't come off too!

Or suck hard on a small straw. Suction may hold end onto straw.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Christopera
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2007, 12:07 AM

Some very small tweezers may do the job. Or even some heavy pressure into the hole might be enough to blow it out.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2007, 01:04 AM

maybe a magnet?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Christopera
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2007, 01:49 AM

It would have to be one strong magnet. I really think if you take some pressurized air and squirt it in the port it might blow the piece right out. Or you could try shaking the computer on its side.

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
maybe a magnet?
If the tip is made of aluminum, then it won't be magnetic. As for sucking or blowing on the tip, I'd say forget about it. The last thing one would want to do is inhale a small piece of metal deep into his lungs, although it isn't likely that sucking or blowing is going to budge the tip anyway.

I vote for using superglue, but taking the unit apart might allow a pin to be used to push the tip out of the jack.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2007, 11:33 PM

Don't use a magnet around that area anyway. Magnets+HD=bad.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2007, 01:06 PM

I still think the most cost-effective solution is to use a USB interface. Either the iMic or by buying a USB headset.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2007, 01:21 PM

The other night while i was laying in bed insomnia style i was thinking about this issue. Lame...I know. Anyways, i was betting that if you could find a coffee straw that was just a bit of squeeze over the jack you could get it. This would work becuase it would depress the contact prongs but have enough grip on the tip to pull it out. The coffee straw would have to be just big enough to be a squeeze over the tip but small enough to fit in the jack. The hard part will be finding the perfect straw. I would start with Starbucks.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2007, 01:53 PM

Well, I do agree that's it's always best to start with Starbucks, with your favorite brew. After that, in the interests of fairness towards the straw research, it would be good to move on to Peets, perhaps, or whatever other flavor the straw research leads towards. Best to be thorough. You do want to avoid caffeine poisoning, so it would be good to look at this research as a multi-month longitudinal survey. A straw poll, so to speak.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Dec 14, 2007, 06:33 PM

I'm really appreciating your ideas guys. Thanks.

The one solution that keeps coming to mind is finding the smallest drill bit I can (1/32"?) and drill in just enough to get hold of it, then pull out. The prongs inside should have sufficient give to allow for bit's thickness.

Problem is, is that if the bit does not grab into broken tip, then I'd risk pushing the tip further in. Type of bit to use and knowing what allow tip's made of is a must know.

Not decided on course of action yet..
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Christopera
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2007, 09:20 PM

wont the tip just spin when the drill is pressed on it? I'm not sure i would risk the damage either. Seriously, the straw idea is genious. I lost valuable hours of sleep over it.

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2007, 09:24 PM

This thread's been done before. A search should be able to turn up what the last poster eventually did.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2007, 03:34 AM

The previous posters got the same advice about using superglue--thing is, I don't recall anyone ever saying that it worked. The audio port is already useless so you can't mess it up any further if the toothpick or skewer does get stuck.

Whatever you do, don't drill. The audio port is connected to the logic board (or some such critical component, hmmm?) Last thing you wanna do is bork anything serious.

Previous posters just went with the USB audio option.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 03:44 AM

could you squish some poster putty in there? that stuff will stick to itself enough that you shouldn't have too bad a problem getting it out- just stick in some more and dab until it pulls itself out, or scrape it out with a pointy toothpick. and poster putty's not greasy or salty, so it'll work better than plasticine or play-doh, which might leave a werid residue.

or

a long thin strip of duct tape, poked into the jack on a toothpick might work too.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Dec 15, 2007, 07:12 PM

Got it!!!

I noticed that the end of the broken adapter was hollow, meaning that the end of the tip stuck inside the port had a tip . (didn't see that at first)

I put a tiny amount of Krazy Glue in the hollow part of end of adapter, inserted it, waited a half hour, prayed a tad, and pulled it out -tip and all.

Tried new adapter, and all is well.

: )

Thanks again everyone!

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2007, 09:04 PM

congratulations! Wow, it's so great to hear a success story, so thanks a bunch for posting back!

I'm rather fond of the ole' iBooks, so it's great to see that it's gonna on chugging away...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 09:25 PM

congrats on getting the tip out!

Forum Links
Forum Rules