Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Another "Switcher" thread...what will I have the hardest time with?

Another "Switcher" thread...what will I have the hardest time with?
Lattimer
Sep 27, 2003, 03:07 PM

When my powerbook shows up this week (crossing fingers) I was just wondering what I will have the hardest time adjusting to. Maybe I can get my mindset straight so that it's not so bad

Obviously the one button mouse it a big hurdle, what are some other ones?

Thanks,

Lattimer
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

beg-ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 03:55 PM

Well the biggest hurdle you'll probably have to deal with is not having to goto windowsupdate every 4 hours and not having to live in fear of each new virus that can allow a user to "take complete control of your computer remotely"

But really, it kind of depends on each person, i really like trying new things and was willing to tweak my habits to so i was working with the different mac conventions from windows.

As for your mouse problem, if you've got a USB mouse just plug that in to your powerbook and you'll be good to go, you can even use M$ mice. OSX has full support for the right mouse and scroll-wheel.

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 04:16 PM

When you click the red button in the top left of a window most times it won't close the program down, rather - it'll just close the window.

Although with programs like Cocktail it DOES close the program

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 04:19 PM

I think the filing system will take some getting used to...

Really, it's easy to get used to. But if I were you do like I did and go the extra mile and learn a little Unix so you can truly appreciate how much different your new Mac's OS is from Windows.

Lattimer  (op)
Sep 27, 2003, 04:59 PM

Cool...I've actually worked on a few UNIX systems with my job, but sadly I've forgotten most of it. Maybe it will come back to me

ls-l?

I'm really looking foward to tabbed browsing, everything being seamlessly integrated, and a non-crashing OS!
More

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Lattimer:
When my powerbook shows up this week (crossing fingers) I was just wondering what I will have the hardest time adjusting to. Maybe I can get my mindset straight so that it's not so bad

Obviously the one button mouse it a big hurdle, what are some other ones?

Thanks,

Lattimer
The one button mouse pisses off the more techy Mac users as well. If you don't mind having an external mouse on your pb just get a nice 2 button logitech or something. OSX supports it just fine. The most common switching problems I've seen reported are:
1) The keyboard shortcuts are different
2) Uninstalling apps is different (just drag 'em to the trash in almost all cases)

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 07:10 PM

Cool...I've actually worked on a few UNIX systems with my job, but sadly I've forgotten most of it. Maybe it will come back to me

ls-l?

I'm really looking foward to tabbed browsing, everything being seamlessly integrated, and a non-crashing OS!

It is a beautiful Saturday here. And I am feeling benevolent, so I will tell you a little secret:

There is no such thing as a non-crashing OS. Yes, even the much-admired and for-the-most-part-solid-as-a-rock OS X.

So, with that in mind, welcome to the Mac and have fun.
I, ASIMO.

ChrisBlackwell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by I Me Mine:
When you click the red button in the top left of a window most times it won't close the program down, rather - it'll just close the window.
Having watched innumerable Windows-bred students use the public Macs in our department, I'll second this. Command-Q (that's "Apple-Q" or "Cloverleaf-Q"), or choosing "Quit" from the menu item named after the current application, is the way to quit an app.

Likewise, once you've closed a window's application, you'll need to click on the desktop before you can use the Finder--this follows from the above, since closing the last window does not quit, or make you leave, the application.

Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions.
Christopher W. Blackwell | Associate Professor of
Classics | Furman University

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2003, 08:33 PM

what will I have the hardest time with?
Waiting for the next SteveNote

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2003, 08:47 PM

I guess the hardest thing for you will be to live on Iceland for too long.

Wait, this was about computers. Nevermind me........

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2003, 08:50 PM

ls-l?
Code:
ls -al | more
: shows you everything including permissions and pauses after filling the screen, where you can hit space to carry on. Sort of like
Code:
dir /p
on Windows/DOS.

Code:
cd chmod chown sudo su
are also often used. Best to find a little tutorial on the web to refresh your 1337 skillz
weird wabbit

Ganesha
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 10:48 PM

1) Letting the iApps create their own folder structures. This used to bother me, but doesn't anymore since I don't peek in to see what they are doing.

2) Weird windows-mac network behavior at times.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 11:06 PM

You will have the hardest time moving to the right trying to close or minimize something.

mikemako
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 11:37 PM

customizing.. extra options and such..

On Mac, you can't change the system font, font size in menus, or color of windows (big deal for people used to having control over these things).

You cannot turn "effects" off: minimizing/restoring, fade/scroll effects, show/don't show window contents while dragging.

Contextual menus are used much less and are less useful.

Those will be the things I think will be hard to adjust to, but keep in mind there are A LOT of beautiful and great things about OS X and you will have a lot of fun!
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Sage
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by mikemako:
customizing.. extra options and such..
Yup - In OS X, you'll find most of the "customizing" stuff in the System Preferences application, while on Windows, um... I'm not even sure where the hell to find that stuff.

Also, I second the issue of getting used to Command+Q to quit and app instead of just having it automagically quit when the last window goes away. To understand how bad this is, I just have to use my mom as an example - In our house, we only have Macs, and have only had Macs. But, my mom originally learned how to use computers by taking a Windows 3.1 class (how many years ago was that?!), and to this very day she never remembers to properly Quit a Mac app.

As for the one-buttoned mouse, just buy a multi-buttoned one... I have a Logitech MX500 (8 buttons, and I need more! ), and it works perfectly fine.

I'll also have to second the file structure comment - Again, I don't even really have a clue as to how Windows does that stuff since I almost never use it, but I still know that getting used to the Finder will probably be a bit weird for you at first, but it's pretty darned simple.

Lattimer  (op)
Sep 28, 2003, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
I guess the hardest thing for you will be to live on Iceland for too long.

Wait, this was about computers. Nevermind me........

Logic-

I've only been in Iceland for a month but so far I am loving this beautiful country...we'll see how the winter goes though

Lattimer
More

Lattimer  (op)
Sep 28, 2003, 07:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the input... I find the uninstall feature the most perplexing. Just drag the app to the trash and it will uninstall? What about the shortcut on the desktop etc? That's just insane!!

I need to buy a book on OSX....anyone have a suggestion?

Lattimer
More

Lew
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 07:41 AM

Obviously the one button mouse it a big hurdle�
Depends. If you're using the trackpad then you'll most likely have both hands at the keyboard, so your left hand will already be near to the apple, option, ctrl and shift keys. If you're using an external mouse then, as has already been stated, just use a multi-button mouse

esc
Sep 28, 2003, 07:56 AM

Thanks everyone for the input... I find the uninstall feature the most perplexing. Just drag the app to the trash and it will uninstall? What about the shortcut on the desktop etc? That's just insane!!

Lattimer
The best OSX book is The Missing Manual by David Pogue.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2003, 08:10 AM

If you get a powerbook and want advanced trackpad features, check the powerbook forum, there is a program that allows you to have right click, even virtual scrollbars (a sharpie can make them real)

Anyway, The ONE THING that takes a little time to get used to (in my opinion) is having the window controls on the left instead of the right...

but I always double clicked the icon on the left to close windows anyway.

The three commands you'll want:

command w = close window
command q = close program
command ~ = switch windows within app (same as control tab was on windows)

There are many others too.. for example control e (end) and control a (home) which will work in some apps that don't use regular keys (unix apps for example)

Have fun! you'll love it. I like to say OS X is the most advanced unix compatible OS there is
Aloha

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2003, 08:34 AM

Lattimer
There are many that agree that a system wide uninstaller for OSX would be a good thing, especially for .pkg files. On the other hand, the fact that you can just move applications around to folders anywhere (most of them just continue to work normally) is a blessing, as you aren't bound by a system registry as you would be in Windows.
weird wabbit

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2003, 09:05 AM

What shortcut on the desktop?

Usually, you'll have an alias on your Dock (the taskbar-like program launcher/switcher at the screen edge. But you can just drag programs onto and off that.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Sage:
Also, I second the issue of getting used to Command+Q to quit and app instead of just having it automagically quit when the last window goes away. To understand how bad this is, I just have to use my mom as an example - In our house, we only have Macs, and have only had Macs. But, my mom originally learned how to use computers by taking a Windows 3.1 class (how many years ago was that?!), and to this very day she never remembers to properly Quit a Mac app.
There is no point in doing so, really.

Especially on OS X.

Except maybe to free up dock space. But the little utilities that you don't constantly use or want open are usually the ones that quit when you close their window, anyway.

-s*

benb
Sep 28, 2003, 11:07 AM

Lattimer
99% of the time, yeah. Unless you install something like GhostScript or most Apple iApps.

Example: You download Watson to try it out. To install it you drag it to your HD. You play with it a few days, realize you don't need it, and decide to get rid of it. Just drag it to the Trash and empty it. No need to run an installer or uninstaller that mysteriously hangs at 99% for 5 seconds.

Personally, this is why I like the Mac. Even apps like Photoshop that have an installer you can just delete the folder it installs.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 01:39 PM

A good guide for Mac keyboard shortcuts is here. (Check out esp. the bottom and the next page.)

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...tomac_one.html

Enjoy!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by benb:
99% of the time, yeah. Unless you install something like GhostScript or most Apple iApps.

Example: You download Watson to try it out. To install it you drag it to your HD. You play with it a few days, realize you don't need it, and decide to get rid of it. Just drag it to the Trash and empty it. No need to run an installer or uninstaller that mysteriously hangs at 99% for 5 seconds.

Personally, this is why I like the Mac. Even apps like Photoshop that have an installer you can just delete the folder it installs.
Agreed. It gives you far more freedom to try whatever shareware you feel like trying, without having to worry about what it will dump all over your system, having to uninstall it, whether the uninstaller will get all the pieces it installed, etc.

It's great if you need an app for some particular purpose and there's a number of competing ones out there. Just download all of them, run them from your desktop, decide which one you like best, drag that one to your Applications folder, and the rest to the Trash. Voil�.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules