Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gas Mileage

Gas Mileage
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 04:41 PM

I deliver the mail in a 2000 Chevy Blazer, and it's killing me fuel-wise. A typical route of 30-50 miles costs me roughly 1/2 of a tank of gas, at 20 gallons a tank, $2 a gallon, that's $20 to run the mail, i'm compensated $21.60 on the 50 mile route, less on the 30 mile route, so I've been paying a lot of attention to mileage lately. Before anyone gets any grand ideas telling me to get a smaller car - no, the mail just won't fit in it.

I have tuned my rig up, and have always paid attention to things such as tire pressure. I read an interesting piece here that states that 4 million gallons of fuel could be saved daily per each PSI that tires are underinflated. Wow, some people need to get off the SUV kick and on the air pressure one. Anyway...

I also frequently clean my air filter, I'm sure that helps a great deal, although I'm not sure how much. Speaking of air, I hear it's more efficient to leave the windows up, due to aerodynamics, but that's not possible either.

I read about avoiding jack-rabbit starts, etc, which I can fix that somewhat, but being timed while delivering the mail, it's in my best interest to finish quickly.

I suppose my question is this, if anyone knows, do the whiz-bang products like the K&N Filterchargers, Flowmaster mufflers, computer chips, etc. really improve efficiancy like they state, or do they only help during normal driving? I've got a Flowmaster muffler on my other truck, I just never bothered to check the mileage before, although it gets 17MPG on average now. I'm having a hard time understanding what they could make an air filter out of that's better than a standard Wix filter, and I'm under the assumption that the new computer chips are for performance. Anyone got any ideas?

For the record, it's a 4.3L V6, 4sp. automatic with a 3.42 rear-end (kind of tall, but probably not cost effective to change?)

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2004, 04:46 PM

There's something seriously wrong with that vehicle, if you only get 50 miles out of 10 gallons of gas, even for an SUV. That's 5mpg!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 04:49 PM

How can that be?

So you getting 3-5 miles per gallon?

30 miles % 10 gallons = 3 mpg
50 miles % 10 gallons = 5 mpg

If you are getting compensated $20 each time you deliver Id say who cares as long as your not paying for it?

Damn... I just calculated my MPG this afternoon and now I feel good about the 38mpg I got for the month :-)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2004, 04:54 PM

Hybrid Escape.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 04:57 PM

Looking it up your blazer should get between 17-25 mpg

Did you dod the tune up yourself? Maybe something is messed up? Runnin on 5 cyl? or worse...

If you think it is just your haul/routine that is screwwing things up you should go do the 24 hour test drive chevy offers (do they still?) and take it for the day and see what a new one does.

If the new one gets closer to the rates MPG you got serious problems, if it gets the same then... I dunno...

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 04:59 PM

There's nothing wrong with my truck, in the 50 mile route there are 600 stops, everything is going to get crappy gas mileage driving like that.

I should also add that that's using the AC for about 1/2 or a little more of the route, hopefully things will be better tomorrow after the minor tune up, I'm also going to not use the AC as much, at all if I can, it's just so humid and hot around here (Raleigh, NC area) that I almost feel that I need to
( Last edited by dampeoples; Aug 29, 2004 at 05:04 PM. )

Dex13
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Hybrid Escape.

Link

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
There's nothing wrong with my truck, in the 50 mile route there are 600 stops, everything is going to get crappy gas mileage driving like that.

I should also add that that's using the AC for about 1/2 or a little more of the route, hopefully things will be better tomorrow after the minor tune up, I'm also going to not use the AC as much, at all if I can, it's just so humid and hot around here (Raleigh, NC area) that I almost feel that I need to
Still dosen't make sense... I work at a real estate publication in south floriuda and we have a huge ford cargo van and we do distribution all along the florida coast (thousands of stop points) and the mpg isn't nearly that low.. and this thing only gets 18mpg with regular driving.

On top of all that we are hauling pallettes of magazines (600-1100 lbs) usually...

Are you turning it off at every stop or something?

Anyway, I have used a K&N Air Filter for my personal vehicles and haven't noticed any gain in mpg... YMMV (how true this time)

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 07:00 PM

It might depend on the distance from stop point to stop point, I guess the AC is a factor, as well as the sprinting from box to box, I'm going to work on that too.
One of the other guys I work with has a right hand drive Jeep and gets a little better mileage, although not much, and his route is shorter too, it might just be a fact of life with a V6, I might need to consider a 4 cyl. next go around.
I'm supposed to turn it off when I get out of it, but I don't always do that, it's better for cooling if you keep the engine running.

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Aug 29, 2004, 07:21 PM

I went from an SUV to a mid-size, brand new 2005 car. The petrol savings alone pay for the vehicle, and I pocket a bit on the side.

Decide what works best for you and go for it.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

george68
Banned
Aug 29, 2004, 09:27 PM

Unless you tow things on a regular basis or off road, quit driving your poser-mobile and get a car.

- Rob

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 12:29 AM

The single-best thing you can do is buy a fuel-efficient vehicle. I think you'd be surprised how much cargo you can fit in a small or mid-sized car.

Driving habits that will save you gas (not all of these apply to you):

-If the speed limit is over 50 mph, do not exceed it. Most vehicles get optimum gas mileage at 50-55 mph. Blasting down the highway at 80 mph wastes a lot of gas.

-Turn off the air conditioner. Running the compressor sucks a lot of power from the engine. Use the vents instead.

-Coast down hills and up to red lights and stop signs. The car's brakes waste energy, so the less you use them, the better fuel economy you will get. Drive safely, however. Crashing and breaking open your gas tank wastes even more gas.

-Take highways instead of surface streets, even if the distance is slightly longer. Cruising at one speed is faster, uses less gas, and is a lot easier on your car than stop-and-go.

-(Manual transmission) The lower you keep the engine RPM's, the more fuel you will save. Pick the highest gear you can, without the engine running rough. (In my cavalier, I shift into 5th gear at around a 35 mph cruise, which is about 1250 RPM).

-(Automatic transmission) Accelerate slowly. The harder you accelerate, the more fuel you will use. Downtown is not a drag strip.

-Think for a second before you jump in the car to go somewhere. You will save gas, time, and wear on your vehicle and do all your errands at once.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 12:53 AM

Thank you, AAA.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

york28
Senior User
Aug 30, 2004, 01:27 AM

I realize this is a bit off topic, but what kinds of MPGs are you guys getting? I get between 34 and 39 in my Geo Prizm.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 01:50 AM

I realize this is a bit off topic, but what kinds of MPGs are you guys getting?
31 MPG / 2004 Toyota Camry - 4 cyl. Manual

Mostly freeway driving in the Valley of the Pavement, er Sun ...at about $1.89/Gallon. Range = About 535 miles.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 30, 2004, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by york28:
I realize this is a bit off topic, but what kinds of MPGs are you guys getting? I get between 34 and 39 in my Geo Prizm.
45 HWY
2001 Toyota Echo (Manual)

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 06:54 AM

2002 Saturn SC1. 30MPG.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2004, 07:17 AM

1997 VW Bus (T4 Generation). 29 mpg Diesel.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 07:27 AM

'04 Audi A4 1.8T Avant. 29 MPG highway.

I don't really drive except for when I'm back in Beantown. In NYC, the Subway doesn't burn gas And the buses are *slowly* going Hybrid.

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 07:29 AM

Is that a standard 4.3 or is it the vortec ? If it is a vortec you might have a leaking injector ass, know problem with them. The easyist way to tell is pull you oil dip stick and smell the oil. Either way you have an issue some place. I am off to work but will give more info tonight when I get home.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 07:32 AM

1992 VW Passat (Turbo Diesel) = 52 MPG max (yep, that's true!)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2004, 07:32 AM

My van actually had a similarly bad mileage - though only briefly.

Turned out that was because the fuel pump was pissing gas all over the engine. Luckily, the leak was diagnosed in time before it got bad enough to possibly hit the turbocharger and ignite.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
1992 VW Passat (Turbo Diesel) = 52 MPG max (yep, that's true!)
52 MP(UK)G that is...
43 MP(US)G (didn't know about this difference until 1 minute ago )

george68
Banned
Aug 30, 2004, 08:14 AM

17-27mpg, depending on city/hwy and how aggressive I am with the go pedal.

Mileage should increase a tad with my new exhaust, it's a lot less restrictive.....

- Rob

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 08:29 AM

<MPG bragging mode=on>

Current car - 1993 Honda Civic coupe (33/39)
Previous car - 2001 Honda Insight (51/67)
***Record highway MPG with the Insight was 72.1 on a round-trip drive from DC to West Palm Beach, FL. The ex got to keep the car, though.

<MPG bragging mode=off>
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 08:39 AM

1996 Dodge Status - 26 MPG

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Hybrid Escape.

Wouldn't help him a lot with that many stops all the time...

-t

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 03:14 PM

87 Volvo 740GLE (4 banger) gotten low low 30s once but have also gotten 25, she shifts into 5th at 50 so its kinda hard to get decent gas milage on the highway

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 03:31 PM

89 Toyota Starlet XL (model EP71), 75 hp, 1.3 litre, 5 speed gearbox, 750 kg weight:

40-45 MPG

yep it�s true, i think mostly due to the incredible low weight

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Chinasaur
Senior User
Aug 30, 2004, 04:30 PM

42 in town
50 on hwy

Kawasaki Concours. Don't own a car.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by george68:
Unless you tow things on a regular basis or off road, quit driving your poser-mobile and get a car.

- Rob
ummm, **** you?
I drive my children and boat around, and I can't fit the volume of mail I get in a car

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
The single-best thing you can do is buy a fuel-efficient vehicle. I think you'd be surprised how much cargo you can fit in a small or mid-sized car.

Driving habits that will save you gas (not all of these apply to you):

-If the speed limit is over 50 mph, do not exceed it. Most vehicles get optimum gas mileage at 50-55 mph. Blasting down the highway at 80 mph wastes a lot of gas.

-Turn off the air conditioner. Running the compressor sucks a lot of power from the engine. Use the vents instead.

-Coast down hills and up to red lights and stop signs. The car's brakes waste energy, so the less you use them, the better fuel economy you will get. Drive safely, however. Crashing and breaking open your gas tank wastes even more gas.

-Take highways instead of surface streets, even if the distance is slightly longer. Cruising at one speed is faster, uses less gas, and is a lot easier on your car than stop-and-go.

-(Manual transmission) The lower you keep the engine RPM's, the more fuel you will save. Pick the highest gear you can, without the engine running rough. (In my cavalier, I shift into 5th gear at around a 35 mph cruise, which is about 1250 RPM).

-(Automatic transmission) Accelerate slowly. The harder you accelerate, the more fuel you will use. Downtown is not a drag strip.

-Think for a second before you jump in the car to go somewhere. You will save gas, time, and wear on your vehicle and do all your errands at once.
Thanks, but none of those (except the accelerate smoothly and the AC one, oops) really apply to delivering the mail, I'm perfectly satisfied with the mileage I get otherwise

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by qualey2:
Is that a standard 4.3 or is it the vortec ? If it is a vortec you might have a leaking injector ass, know problem with them. The easyist way to tell is pull you oil dip stick and smell the oil. Either way you have an issue some place. I am off to work but will give more info tonight when I get home.
It's the Vortec, and thanks, i'll look into that, after the tune-up and not using the AC the mileage increased a lot, but I'm always looking for ways to improve it

george68
Banned
Aug 30, 2004, 10:19 PM

ummm, **** you?
I drive my children and boat around, and I can't fit the volume of mail I get in a car
Yeah, it's cool that you told me that, I just reported you.

Anyway, I see a minivan in your future, that way you can quit being a poser.

- Rob

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 10:21 PM

I get about 18mpg.

Stupid SUV.

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 10:31 PM

You guys are all lucky w/ your mpg numbers, I get around 9 around town and 12 on the highway

george68
Banned
Aug 30, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
I get about 18mpg.

Stupid SUV.
Sucks to be you. But it's worht it since you go offroading and tow things all the time, isn't it?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 10:35 PM

- Rob
haven't seen many mini vans towing a boat, you cash?

(well depends on the boat i guess)

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 10:43 PM

- Rob
Excellent, maybe this can start a trend, the mast banned member reports people because they don't think like he does.
I asked for help, you decided to call me a poser for my choice of car, are you really that shallow dude? If you had no idea, just say so or don't reply, it's ok to be ignorant of some aspects of vehicles. If I wanted drilled brake rotors, or advice on how to modify an old bucket with the latest go fast gadget, I would have surely PM'd you.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:

He doesn't see anything that doesn't fit his particular lifestyle or choice, pitiful really.
I have a need for a largeish vehicle, one that gets perfectly acceptable mileage unless I'm driving a mail route, but I should go get a smaller car to make my job harder, because he says so.
There's a reason that Post Office provided LLV's are large - we need the room.

george68
Banned
Aug 30, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:

Quite a few. I've even seen compact cars like neons/cavies and civics towing small boats.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Aug 30, 2004, 11:18 PM

He doesn't see anything that doesn't fit his particular lifestyle or choice, pitiful really.
I have a need for a largeish vehicle, one that gets perfectly acceptable mileage unless I'm driving a mail route, but I should go get a smaller car to make my job harder, because he says so.
There's a reason that Post Office provided LLV's are large - we need the room.
Justify it all you want, but I still hope Captain Planet kicks your ass.

- Ca$h

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2004, 05:30 AM

It's the Vortec, and thanks, i'll look into that, after the tune-up and not using the AC the mileage increased a lot, but I'm always looking for ways to improve it
Make sure you switch on the AC about once a week, even in summer.

Reason being that if the AC fluid doesn't get circulated regularly, the O-rings and valves and things will dry out, deteriorate, and leak, resulting in extremely costly repairs.

This according to a car tv mag I just happened to catch a few weeks ago.

-s*

PowerMatt
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 11:00 AM

Sad to say, but if you've had your vehicle checked out and it is in good working order, your driving style, which cannot be altered due to your employ, is the damnation of your gas mileage. K&N Filters, high-flow exhaust, etc, make a big (3-4mpg) in most driving situations. Unfortunateley, your driving situation probably wouldn't apply. Also, make sure you are getting your oil changed with the utmost frequency. Constant stop-and-go driving will break down oil viscosity faster than driving like Ca$h on the Beltline.

Anyway, my MPG numbers:
1998 Isuzu Amigo (2.2L I4): 25mpg
1993 Honda Accord (2.2L I4): 28mpg (up from 26mpg before K&N Filter install)
1990 Honda Civic (1.5L I4): 32mpg
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 11:34 AM

I would be looking for a more comfortable car with better gas mileage.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 07:04 PM

Justify it all you want, but I still hope Captain Planet kicks your ass.

- Ca$h
Have you even looked at minivans vs. the specific truck I drive? The Dodge, Chevy and maybe a Honda get approximately the same MPG and weigh approximately the same, but ok. You don't seem to be able to fathom that some folks need a largish vehicle. You also are not able to fathom that I'm free to choose any car I want, but it's ok - you can keep on being a sheep and following the ill-informed herd.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
Sad to say, but if you've had your vehicle checked out and it is in good working order, your driving style, which cannot be altered due to your employ, is the damnation of your gas mileage. K&N Filters, high-flow exhaust, etc, make a big (3-4mpg) in most driving situations. Unfortunateley, your driving situation probably wouldn't apply. Also, make sure you are getting your oil changed with the utmost frequency. Constant stop-and-go driving will break down oil viscosity faster than driving like Ca$h on the Beltline.

Anyway, my MPG numbers:
1998 Isuzu Amigo (2.2L I4): 25mpg
1993 Honda Accord (2.2L I4): 28mpg (up from 26mpg before K&N Filter install)
1990 Honda Civic (1.5L I4): 32mpg
Thanks, yeah I didn't run the AC today and it did a lot better. I do change the oil, on or within a few hundred miles of the 3k mark. I'm wondering how often i should change the transmission fluid with the constant swapping, might be a question for my mechanic.

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 07:54 PM

I'm wondering how often i should change the transmission fluid with the constant swapping, might be a question for my mechanic.
About every 30k, make sure you get the system flushed. I dont mean drop the pan to change the filter (this too is a good thing) buthave the whole system flushed out.

Places like Monroe Goodyear offer this service.

george68
Banned
Aug 31, 2004, 08:48 PM

you can keep on being a sheep and following the ill-informed herd.
This coming from someone who drives an SUV. Funny, but it makes me sad inside that people can be so dumb.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Aug 31, 2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by qualey2:
About every 30k, make sure you get the system flushed. I dont mean drop the pan to change the filter (this too is a good thing) buthave the whole system flushed out.

Places like Monroe Goodyear offer this service.
>shrug< I don't think that's really necessary, seems a bit overkill. I just drain and refill the ATF at every oil change.

- Rob

Forum Links
Forum Rules