Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Brockback Mountain *Spoiler*

Brockback Mountain *Spoiler*
Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 04:03 PM

I really thought it was a very good movie. It just shows how great Christians are at loving each other by murdering one of the characters because he was gay.

Beautiful love scenes between the 2 guys and it shows that gays are not different from heterosexuals; which means that we all want the same thing, respect, find someone that you will love and will love you, and feeling at last like you have come home when you are in that person's arms.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 04:09 PM

Brockback Mountain? Is that some Pokemon slash fiction or something?

You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jan 9, 2006, 04:09 PM

Yes, all Christians scheme every night on who will be the next homosexual they will kill.

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 04:12 PM

I did not say it you did sky captain. I wonder if it is not based on a true story; but it does not changed that gays are murdered just because they are gays; just like Matthew Sheapard

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Brockback Mountain? Is that some Pokemon slash fiction or something?

Little Pikachu has a big surpriseā€¦
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
I really thought it was a very good movie. It just shows how great Christians are at loving each other by murdering one of the characters because he was gay.
Hmmm...a fictitious event proves all Christians' murderous intentions. Brilliant!

While there have been isolated incidents in the past, those who committed murder or torture of a homosexual were not "Christians." They were usually drunk rednecks who only attend church on Sunday because that's the way they were raised, not because it's what they believe.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go plan a few bombings on abortion clinics and prominent homosexual assassinations

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 04:18 PM

It's ONLY A MOVIE.........

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 04:26 PM

Also doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with Christians, but feel free to bash gratuitously.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 04:28 PM

I really thought it was a very good movie. It just shows how great Christians are at loving each other by <Censored so as to not be an accomplice!>.
'scuse me...did you just give away the ending?
( Last edited by BlueSky; Jan 9, 2006 at 04:49 PM. )

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 9, 2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
So why all the fuss by gay bashers and stuffs.

theatres not showing it etc.

Sounds to me...

IT'S MORE THAN A MOVIE!!!

...but something many people are afraid of.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jan 9, 2006, 04:33 PM

No sir, you did.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 04:34 PM

The fuss from gay bashers is also due to the fact that pro-homosexual movement enthusiasts are touting is as the greatest movie ever made, mainly as a slap in the face to conservative Christians.

I watched a correspondant on a news show the other night say that Brokeback Mountain is likely to win Best Picture simply because a left-leaning Academy would love to "stick it to the Christians." So now Christian's can't respond?

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 9, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky
'scuse me...did you just give away the ending?
I haven't seen it yet. I hope she hasn't.

That would be reason for a permanent bannation.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 04:37 PM

I'm afraid the ending is now officially SPOILED

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 9, 2006, 04:37 PM

*%*&((^&((&(^)&*%&$!@!%%~%@%()+(+(*$^@!!
( Last edited by Rolling Bones; Jan 9, 2006 at 04:43 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
I watched a correspondant on a news show the other night say that Brokeback Mountain is likely to win Best Picture simply because a left-leaning Academy would love to "stick it to the Christians." So now Christian's can't respond?
Not without sounding equally like dipshits. It's the same way that if somebody yells, "You smell," it doesn't make it any less stupid to yell it back.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 06:05 PM

What's being said isn't anything as juvenile as, "You smell."

Hollywood is saying, what you've believed for hundreds of years is bullcrap, so we're going to tell the world that the premise of the best movie available this year revolves around an issue that lies in direct contradiction to what you believe.

So now conservative Christians are saying, "Fine, but we have every right to stop watching your movies, and we're doing it in droves."

It's not an elementary schoolyard fight. It's a battle of idealogies. This nation is split in half, and both factions are duking it out with quite a few people caught in the middle not knowing which side to take.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
So why all the fuss by gay bashers and stuffs.

theatres not showing it etc.

Sounds to me...

IT'S MORE THAN A MOVIE!!!

...but something many people are afraid of.
Could have something to do with the fact that the producers are engaging in deceptive and fraudulent marketing practices in order to entice people with traditional values to see a film that goes directly against what most would consider to be moral. I'm not making a judgment call on whether homosexual relations are "right" or "wrong", but simply looking at it from a factual basis.

All the commercials I see feature a man and woman doing man and woman/love story stuff, and the copy the announcer reads talks about a love story (and not the destruction of the love between the two characters they show most prominently together). It's clear that the producers of the movie wish for the true nature of the film not to be known in order to get people who might not otherwise know about it to spend their money on it by giving them a false impression. Now...we who spend a lot of time on the internet and reading entertainment news know what the movie is about. A female friend at work does neither and only really knew about the movie from the commercials...UNTIL someone told her otherwise. She had planned on going until she realized the movie was about gay cowboys, then lost interest. She can relate to a man/woman love story. She can't relate to gay cowboys. If a company is actively trying to trick potential customers with false advertising, I'd say trying to keep them out of the marketplace isn't a bad idea.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 11, 2006, 08:21 AM

I really thought it was a very good movie. It just shows how great Humans are at loving each other by murdering one of the characters because he was gay.
Fixed for you Monique.

BTW you posted this in the right forum, but there is already one thread about this

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=281120

While there have been isolated incidents in the past, those who committed murder or torture of a homosexual were not "Christians." They were usually drunk rednecks who only attend church on Sunday because that's the way they were raised, not because it's what they believe.
Bingo
( Last edited by Kevin; Jan 11, 2006 at 08:32 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 11, 2006, 08:23 AM

The fuss from gay bashers is also due to the fact that pro-homosexual movement enthusiasts are touting is as the greatest movie ever made, mainly as a slap in the face to conservative Christians.
You mean like how the Passion was to atheists and Christian haters?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
You mean like how the Passion was to atheists and Christian haters?
What? I'm atheist and I applaud Gibsons genius at marketing.
How many hundreds of millions did he get for exploiting his religion? and pissing off everyone else? Alot thats what!

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2006, 03:52 PM

Someone needs to give Heath Ledger a talking to about tolerance as well...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10696088/

...and a history lesson or two. I know he's Australian or something...but it's kind of silly for him to start spouting off about stuff he doesn't know about. Either that, or he can point out where exactly there were lynchings back in the early 80's - West Virginia or anywhere else.

The Superficial had a pretty good come-back if you ask me...

http://www.thesuperficial.com/archiv...like_west.html

January 11, 2006

Heath Ledger doesn't like West Virginia, Mormons:
Heath Ledger has lashed out at the U.S. theaters in Utah that refused to show his movie Brokeback Mountain.

ā€œPersonally, I donā€™t think the movie is [controversial] but I think maybe the Mormons in Utah do. I think itā€™s hilarious and very immature of a society,ā€ Ledger said in The Herald Sun. ā€œI heard a while ago that West Virginia was going to ban it but thatā€™s a state that was lynching people only 25 years ago so thatā€™s to be expected.ā€

Damn those religions and their damn...religious convictions. It's obvious they should spend less time praying and more time watching gay cowboy movies and climbing to the top of Mount Man-Butt. Thankfully Heath will show us the way. And while I'm not the American history scholar that Ledger obviously is, I'm fairly certain that West Virginia hasn't been lynching people in recent history. But hopefully he'll travel there in the near future and prove me wrong.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 10:36 PM

Monique, All your threads make me wish I was illiterate, blind, in a coma, beheaded, etc...
( Last edited by Artful Dodger; Jan 12, 2006 at 12:22 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 11, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko
What? I'm atheist and I applaud Gibsons genius at marketing.
AH.. I wasn't speaking about marketing.
How many hundreds of millions did he get for exploiting his religion? and pissing off everyone else? Alot thats what!
All I remember seeing is people coming out of the theaters deeply touched by the movie.

Well those without chips on their shoulders.

BTW your post is a good example of what I was talking about.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
Monique, All your threads make me wish I was illiterate, blind, in a coma, beheaded, etc...
Same here.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Little Pikachu has a big surpriseā€¦
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 03:12 AM

Beautiful love scenes between the 2 guys and it shows that gays are not different from heterosexuals; which means that we all want the same thing, respect, find someone that you will love and will love you, and feeling at last like you have come home when you are in that person's arms.
The law of the land prohibits murder. There are special provisions for murders that are considered hate crimes. It is against the law to discriminate against gays in the workplace or in housing or employment and etc. There are TV shows which prominently feature gays. It is considered politically incorrect (and rightly so) to speak ill of gays. The Bible does not advocate murder in any way shape or form and Jesus Christ specifically taught us to love our enemies and our neighbors as ourselves. The government, law enforcement, the culture, society and the Christian religion all abhors and condemns killing and specifically killing gays because they are gay.

Sorry, but instead of Christians you'll have to settle for criticizing people known as JERKS who will face the death penalty for their crimes or else have a loooooooong time to figure out the error of their ways. Ironically, during the time they have to dwell on their crimes the only sex they'll have other than masturbation will be of the homosexual variety.

That would be an added portion of justice for such a criminal.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
I haven't seen it yet. I hope she hasn't.

That would be reason for a permanent bannation.
Uh oh, have YOU got a shock waiting for you in about 70 years. (I think I'll spoil THAT ending...we all die...)

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Artful Dodger

Ditto.

They're always so full of hate and mistrust.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
AH.. I wasn't speaking about marketing.

All I remember seeing is people coming out of the theaters deeply touched by the movie.

Well those without chips on their shoulders.

BTW your post is a good example of what I was talking about.
Ok I admit I haven't seen the movie myself. However, from reading several reviews on it I gather that there was alot of blood spurting about all over the place (not unlike Braveheart!). Any movie that is based on a religious leader being executed and showing all the gory detail is going to elicit an emotion response. This is the power of movies to exploit our basic human emotions.

Make not mistake, its exploitive. Now whether Gibson really, sincerely wanted to make a point with his movie or just make a few hundred million, that is the billion dollor question.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 07:19 AM

dp.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 12, 2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko
Ok I admit I haven't seen the movie myself. However, from reading several reviews on it I gather that there was alot of blood spurting about all over the place (not unlike Braveheart!). Any movie that is based on a religious leader being executed and showing all the gory detail is going to elicit an emotion response.
I don't think it was WHAT happened that did, but WHY it happened, and who he did it for.

That is the impression I got from the people who saw it that talked to me.
Make not mistake, its exploitive. Now whether Gibson really, sincerely wanted to make a point with his movie or just make a few hundred million, that is the billion dollor question.
You simply cannot make a movie these days without the company who makes it exploiting it.

Esp when they see the money rolling in like Temptation brought.

I think you may be doing a bit of projection.

Gibson made clear his intentions.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
The law of the land prohibits murder. There are special provisions for murders that are considered hate crimes. It is against the law to discriminate against gays in the workplace or in housing or employment and etc.
Everywhere? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that if I don't want to hire someone because they are big proponents of sodomy, that there's nothing to legally stop me (not that I would..I'm big into sodomy myself ). Now, there may be individual states that have in their constitution provisions for such, but I believe that most the United States there are no laws limiting someone's right to free association with people they believe act immorally.

There are TV shows which prominently feature gays. It is considered politically incorrect (and rightly so) to speak ill of gays. The Bible does not advocate murder in any way shape or form and Jesus Christ specifically taught us to love our enemies and our neighbors as ourselves. The government, law enforcement, the culture, society and the Christian religion all abhors and condemns killing and specifically killing gays because they are gay.
The Christian religion abhors specifically killing gays because they are gay. Wow..again, I'm learning new info all the time!!!

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 08:59 AM

the movie is a DRAMA, the ending is DRAMATIC.

SOME people on here are reading more into the movie than what is there though.

The movie does not portray the death at the end as "by Christians", it portrays the death at the end as by bigots.

If someone feels that is how Christians act, then they are just as bigoted and full of hate as those who killed Matthew Shepard. Seriously.

The same story could have been told in New York City.

It is a stunning movie, my advice, if you have not seen it, go see it.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman
Everywhere? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that if I don't want to hire someone because they are big proponents of sodomy, that there's nothing to legally stop me (not that I would..I'm big into sodomy myself ). Now, there may be individual states that have in their constitution provisions for such, but I believe that most the United States there are no laws limiting someone's right to free association with people they believe act immorally.

The Christian religion abhors specifically killing gays because they are gay. Wow..again, I'm learning new info all the time!!!
Thank you. I suppose I could have taken more care in writing the post that it wouldn't be so vague or misinterpreted.

If you provide me the correct version I'll sign off on it.

Thanks again.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 09:20 AM

Thank you. I suppose I could have taken more care in writing the post that it wouldn't be so vague or misinterpreted.

Thanks again.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 09:22 AM

Thanks again.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by NYCFarmboy

The movie does not portray the death at the end as "by Christians", it portrays the death at the end as by bigots.

If someone feels that is how Christians act, then they are just as bigoted and full of hate as those who killed Matthew Shepard. Seriously.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 17, 2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by NYCFarmboy

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 11:38 AM

I'm afraid the ending is now officially SPOILED

GRRRRRRRRRRRR......... I was going to see it tomorrow, darn you! Next time put "spoiler warning"!!!

:-D I forgive you though...

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 11:50 AM

sawwwy... the ending was already given away or I'd had not done so!

Forum Links
Forum Rules