Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > I got my iPhone 3G

I got my iPhone 3G
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 08:17 PM

Just thought I'd let you know. White 16GB. And I'm in luuuurrrrrv.

Any questions?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 08:20 PM

Congrats! Did you go in wanting the white, or were they the only ones left?

People who have downloaded the update have apparently been saying that it's made their phones very crashy. Are you experiencing this?

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 08:23 PM

I wanted the white. Convinced three people around me that were going for the black one too. Black ones are smudgy bastards.

Can't say my phone has been crashing yet. I'm still waiting for the actual phone service to get ported over (should be within an hour), but everything else works. I bought Enigmo while waiting for my receipt. Hah.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 08:24 PM

Grats!!

How was the purchasing experience? Did it take very long? And are you a new iPhone user or did you have the 1st gen?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 08:36 PM

Damn international date line.

Did you have to line up? And where are the pix?

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 08:56 PM

I was in line for a little more than an hour. I went to a store that opened an hour earlier, but they only had 10 8 gig ones. There were two ahead of me when I got there, and about 15-20 people showed up after me. The store opened an hour earlier for people who had put in a $100 deposit.

Purchasing experience was very smooth. I was a little annoyed that they had choses to first lead us through a demonstration by a very nervous and inexperienced staff member, but we got to hold and try the demo unit before we decided on a purchase. They were very adamant about pointing out it's flaws (no MMS, no copy and paste, no BT sync) so they would not have people come back and complain about it. About 10 minutes registration and activation and then I could play with my phone as they printed my receipt. I'm on an A$59 cap and $7 phone repayments over two years. After two years the phone and use will have cost me around $1500 which isn't too bad. I was considering buying it outright as I had the money, but plans were good enough. I'll just fork out the cancellation fee later should it prove to be worth doing so.

I'm a new iPhone user and I've just barely played with a 1G and an iPod touch so this is all new and exciting for me

Still haven't got it on the network yet, but I'm having too much fun in the AppStore to care

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 09:23 PM

I got mine too - ended up with a white 16Gb as the store (Strathfield at Bondi) had only 5 16Gb models to sell and I was 5th in line

woo hoo
this sig intentionally left blank

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 09:57 PM

Have you been able to use the GPS?

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2008, 10:08 PM

I have a question!! I am seriously thinking about getting an iPhone 3G. Does the plan include texts? Or do you have to get that separate? Also, do any of you 3G owners have JiveTalk? Is there any program you can get for the iPhone 3G, like an instant messaging program, that lets you "chat" with people by sending messages to their cell phone number, so i.e, they get it as a text, but it won't count as a sms text for you, instead its just using your data plan? Thanks!
also, how much is it per month, including taxes?

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2008, 12:17 AM

vtboyarc,

AOL has a free IM application available in the Apps Store.

Edit - I misread what you were asking. I'm not sure if they have that type of service yet. If they do I'd be interested as well since I don't want to pay the extra cost for text messages.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 12:53 AM

almost 5 hours after I bought it and my number hasn't been ported yet (AAPT to Optus)

MacinTommy :: I've tried the maps functionality - it thinks I am about 3kms away from where I actually am.

vtboyarc :: have a look at this thread and the links in it from Erik (assuming you are from Australia) - good luck

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2008, 01:41 AM

thanks! I'm in the USA though
I read something about JiveTalk for iPhone, add a contact, add their number as +1(xxx)-xxx-xxxx with the plus sign, and then you can send them messages to their phone, which they will get as a text. I just don't have an iphone to test this on
JiveTalk is free if someone wants to try!

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Have you been able to use the GPS?
Yeah, briefly. Got a lock on my car, but absolutely useless indoors. Still haven't ported my number, but found that my old SIM (Virgin) works fine in it until that happens

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Just thought I'd let you know.
Congrats! Where are the pics?

Any questions?
Actually, yes. Will it be a matter of days or weeks till you regret not having gone for the black one?

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 04:55 AM

GRrrrrrR!!

Got up early. Threw kids out of car in the general direction of school and hot footed it to Cheltenham and the nearest O2 shop. Got in line at 9.10am, only around 15 people in queue and plenty of phones. Around 15 mins later an O2 lady comes out to inform us that they cannot process business customers until next week!!

D'oh! My two business handsets will have to wait. a. few. more. days!!

DiGi-C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 05:12 AM

Hey I'm new

Congrats on your iphone, I'm waiting in anticipation for mine to arrive from CPW any minute now, shaking in anticipation (or just might be the summer bug thats kept me awake all night lol)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 06:10 AM

Congrats.
I'm eyeing the white iPhone. When I got home last night with the version 2 on my iPhone my wife said that we should look into a family plan since she wants an iPhone now.
I'll probably get the white 3G and she'll take my current phone

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 01:22 AM

Sorry it took so long. Been playing with my new toy

Also had to restore it as some sort of syncing issue caused all my apps to not launch or crash the phone

Definitely won't regret going for the black one, white is definitely the better choice:

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 01:29 AM

About time!

Best iPhone fan pr0n I've seen yet by the way.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 01:33 AM

Any other Aussie-based people having problems with Optus? 30 hours later and I still don't have a connection

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2008, 01:52 AM

I like those little dudes. What are they?

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2008, 02:34 AM

Look like salt/pepper shakers, to me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Definitely won't regret going for the black one, white is definitely the better choice:
It's just a shame the white one is only white on one side.

Great pics! And don't forget to give us your early impressions.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Look like salt/pepper shakers, to me.
Correct. They hug.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by simonjames View Post
Any other Aussie-based people having problems with Optus? 30 hours later and I still don't have a connection
That would be me. My Virgin SIM works fine so far though, so I'm not that fussed

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 06:14 AM

true (erik) - I am not that fussed either. Though if they (optus) haven't got it sorted by Monday the TIO will get a call from me

btw - excellent pics and white is *definitely* the colour to have

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2008, 10:22 AM

Here in Perth, I found everything so Painless. Being with Vodafone i went to my local agent, where they had 30 iPhones. I arrived at the store around 7.45am, there was a huge line, but luckily for me they were all Telstra, the Morley Store was the only Telstra Dealer selling them in Perth.

But Vodafone had numerous stores selling them, (perth City was packed ) my line had six people in it.... damn was i happy, waited 1hr for them to open, waited 20-30 minutes for the first 6 to be served, then it was my turn, 15 minutes later i was out of there.

I Went home unboxed my iPhone, inserted the sim card out of my old phone and started using my Beautiful 8GB iPhone.... to darn simple. Synced up to my iMac and then Mobile Me was up and running as well.

I just can't understand how the US can have so many dramas..... oh thats right the have crap Mobile/Cellular suppliers and regulations. Sometimes living in the US ain't all that great.
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2008, 10:33 AM

I went to the store this morning with the intention of buying a 16gb in white, though I must say the new iPhone feels really cheap in comparison to the one I have now. The screen has a larger border around it as well, and to me it makes it look smaller. . All in all It's unfortunate, because I really wanted to be convinced to upgrade.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 09:12 PM

First impression / random notes:

Negatives:
- FW 2.0 definitely wasn't ready in time for launch. Applications refuses to launch and crashes back to the homescreen or sometimes forces a lengthy reboot. Loading my contacts is slow. The slow backup issue is a nuisance.
- GPS rarely works, even when outside - just spins the indicator forever, not even giving me an approximate location. I got the approximate location ONCE inside with WiFi turned off. Thuly any location based app is useless. Very strange.
- Wish the Weather app icon was dynamic like the calendar one.
- Facebook app does not have wall postings.
- Tuner app times out on the radio station stream that I bought it for - even though the format is supported (128 MP3) and it works fine on the computer.
- Form entry in Safari has some strange quirks, sometimes jumping randomly around the page for each character entered
- Password entry is an exercise in frustration.
- Most free apps are useless or redundant - how many to do/shopping lists do you need. How many Hello World/programming 101 apps do we need to see on there? And don't get me started on the "flashlights"
- eBooks need to be a separate category in the App Store
- There's been one or two instances I've wished for cut and paste

Positives:
- The best fricking gadget on the planet. Completely elimniates any needs I would have for carrying around a laptop.
- Keyboard entry was easier to get used to than expected. I now race through messages - thanks to the spookily psychic dictionary and intelligent input adjustment - despite my complete inability to actually hit the correct keys. One handed or two.
- AppStore is simply brilliant. I've had a few issues getting apps installed and synced between my iPhone, work and home computer - but apps can be redownloaded for free so this issue is minor and sure to be fixed in an upcoming update.
- Facebook app despite issue above is brilliant. Take photo, save to facebook - very slick.
- Exposure app for Flickr is brilliant. Photos taken near me (when works) is a crowd pleaser every time!
- Games are generally (and surprisingly) of very high standard: SMB, CroMag Rally and Enigmo are all top class. My DS is cowering in shame.
- eBook reader is a real surprise. I've always been skeptical about screen readers, but the text is sharp and pleasant to read. I might actually give reading a book on my iPhone in bed a go. I'm more concerned about wrist wear than eye strain now actually.
- The potential for location based apps are great - hopefully my GPS issues will resolve itself soon.
- It can entertain and amuse friends for hours.
- Works with my internet bank - although I wish they would make a proper iPhone client.
- I must have been lucky with MobileMe, because once I configured it it instantly pushed my contacts and calendars to my phone before I had even connected it to a computer (Performance after have been sketchy though)
- Getting girls phone numbers out on the town is vastly improved from other phones
- Despite issues (which all phones have, my Nokia 6300 would crash and reboot during calls!), this is definitely the best phone I've had. And quite possibly the (almost) perfect gadget!
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Jul 13, 2008 at 12:15 AM. )

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2008, 11:07 PM

thanks for the review erik!
can you, or someone with an iPhone 3G, donwload JiveTalk, and let me now if it works for sending messages to other peoples cell phones? I think this would by pass the sms texts, and since your using an instant messaging program, it would just be using your data rate. here is a link that talks about it; I'm just not sure if it still works on the 3G phone.
http://iphonetouch.blorge.com/2007/1...r-your-iphone/

SShoot3r
Jul 13, 2008, 02:07 PM

Question for those with 3G and the old iphone. I was wondering is the speakerphone louder this time? Cuz the old one had a weak speaker phone. Also how is teh call quality compared to the old ones?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2008, 03:11 PM

How's your battery life erik? I'd imagine people are killing their batteries on these things, but I assume people are playing around with them more now than they will be after 2 weeks.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 08:15 AM

Speakerphone is much louder compared to 1gen. It works well enough for me at least. Haven't tried in the car yet though.

Battery life is a dance, I usually keep it charged from work and home at night. Just charge it whenever you are sitting down at a computer. I've ordered this for my car too.

Things that eat battery: 3D games and GPS. If you don't need to surf on 3G turn it off.

DIPESH14
Jul 14, 2008, 10:49 AM

on a completely different issue (not that i dont love the iPhone in white and am no way entirely jealous of you!), where can one pick up those salt and pepper shakers?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 02:44 PM

Here you go (though they appear to come in black and white):

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 09:13 PM

Those are not the same ones. I think I got mine of a market.

Forum Links
Forum Rules