Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cleaning window

Cleaning window
Eldberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2017, 06:54 AM

My 27" iMac has some sort of dirt on the screen. Not visible from right angle but from the side. Possibly fingerprints or food stains? I've wiped the screen with window cleaner, kitchen cleaner and 70% disinfectant alcohol. Used tissue and microfiber towel. But it just doesn't get clean. Still looks smeared from the side.

Does anyone have advice?

P
Jan 5, 2017, 07:10 AM

Has the front glass ever been off? Could be on the inside.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2017, 06:46 PM

If it's a post 2013 iMac then the glass won't come off. The retina macbook pros had an issue with peeling anti glare coating on their screens that Apple has a product repair programme running for. I've not heard of anything similar on the iMacs but it could be an isolated manufacturing defect causing the same sort of issue, Google image search macbook pro anti glare coating and see if the images it throws up are similar to your problem.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
Jan 6, 2017, 04:30 PM

From the other thread, the two possibilities are 2010 and 2011. Both of those have front glass that comes off quite easily.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eldberg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2017, 07:09 AM

The dirt turned out to be on the outside after all. Some kitchen spray and a new clean microfiber cloth + tissue got rid of it. Perhaps the other wiping cloth was not sufficiently clean, or absorbent…

kiana mckylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2017, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Eldberg View Post
The dirt turned out to be on the outside after all. Some kitchen spray and a new clean microfiber cloth + tissue got rid of it. Perhaps the other wiping cloth was not sufficiently clean, or absorbent…
Thanks for the tip, i honestly had no idea that you could use kitchen spray to clean that

Forum Links
Forum Rules