Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > itune converting problems

itune converting problems
MAGICJACQUES
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2007, 08:17 PM

Hi all, I am using iTune 7 with the leopard system combine with Rixio Crunch and HandBrake on my MacBook Pro Duo Core. I would like to know what is the easy way to put my Dvd on my Ipod. the iTune 7 does not allow the transfer on my Ipod, if I use handBrake or Crunch, I can post the video on itune and play it, but if I want to transfer it to my Ipod the transfer cannot be done because of the wrong format. Usely I do Ctrl and Click to convert it with iTune An hour video can take 15 hours to process....That's crazy I want to know if someone can tell me how to easely transfer my personal collection from DVD to my Ipod. I am traveling all the time and like to watch video thru my Ipod

Thanks for your help

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 04:26 AM

In Handbrake, there is an "iPod high resolution" and an "iPod low resolution" preset. These will transfer fine and play on the iPod.

Video transcoding will still take a while, especially on a non-Intel Mac.

Remember that this stuff (video editing and transcoding), up until very recently, was pretty much the exclusive domain of highly-paid professionals working on multi-$10,000 editing stations. This is heavy lifting.

Oh, and n:

MAGICJACQUES  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2007, 01:37 AM

Do you know a software who can do a better job for me

thanks

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by MAGICJACQUES View Post
Do you know a software who can do a better job for me

thanks
Better than Handbrake? No. Just use the iPod presets in Handbrake and it should play fine. It can take a long time. This is normal. It is a very CPU-intensive process.

I would try to use MacTheRipper first to rip the DVD to your hard drive, and then use Handbrake to encode it. That way you don't have to have the DVD in your drive for hours and hours. Handbrake will still take a long time to encode, but at least you won't be putting so much wear on your DVD drive.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 07:31 AM

You don't even need to use MacTheRipper. You can just copy the VIDEO_TS folder off the DVD to your hard drive and open that in Handbrake.

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 2, 2007, 01:09 PM

If you have it why not just import your Handbraked DVD file into iMovie 08 and export to iPod?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

MAGICJACQUES  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2007, 03:12 PM

I resolved my problem Thanks Swiz for the Quick fix- your the Man

Thanks everyone for your help

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 3, 2007, 09:03 PM

Your welcome, I wasnt sure it would do what you wanted but I thought that's how I'd do it so I suggested it.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2007, 03:34 AM

What did you suggest?

Forum Links
Forum Rules