Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sharing internet screen

Sharing internet screen
vidimac
Jan 27, 2000, 07:34 PM

Hi,
I have four Mac 5400/200 connected via appletalk to a laser printer. I would like three macs mirror the internet screen of the fourth connected via a dialup. We will be getting a T1 line in a year or two or three or four (poor city district), but I would like to work with small groups of kids in the interim. Please advise economical, simple and reliable solution. Thanks.

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2000, 01:25 AM

I hope that I understand what you are after so here are my suggestions.

1. Look into Timbuktu Pro. The product works well for things like that.

2. I have seen a plugin for Netscape that would allow users mirror screens over TCP/IP. You may want to look among Netscape plugins on Netscape's website.

Seagull
Jan 28, 2000, 07:40 AM

I think what you are trying to do may not have a simple answer. On PCs, Windows 98 second edition comes with the software to allows many computers to connect to one computer which has the internet connection via ethernet cards and they all can use the internet at the same time. This is called Internet Connection Sharing.

On the Mac, I am not sure about connecting three computers to one which have an internet connection, but I know there is a product called SurfDoubler which, as I understand, you can use to share an internet connection between a maximum of three Macs. The address is http://www.vicomsoft.com/products.html
If your Macs currently all have an ethernet card each that would be faster, otherwise you can use the serial ports.

Good luck.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2000, 12:50 PM

There's an obscure Apple tool called Network Admin (I think), that allows someone to view/ show and control multiple Macs on a network. Not sure if it's a part of Appleshare or a seperate pack though.

Update. The client comes with MacOS 9 now, and the server/admin software is a seperately available package from Apple.

[This message has been edited by Zwilnik (edited 01-28-2000).]
Aaron

vidimac
Jan 28, 2000, 09:00 PM

Thanks, I'm looking into your suggestions. Perhaps I should have noted that I have upgraded these machines from OS7.6 to OS 8.1,and they do have unused ethernet connections. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules