Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 39)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2012, 08:55 PM

Oh...public service announcement:

Someone apparently died on the road just north of the original town and rage quit. I stumbled across what appears to be all of your stuff and put it in the chest inside my home. There's also a diamond shovel that I didn't realize was still in my equipment until I returned home, so you can gather that as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2012, 09:33 PM

Speaking of rage quits I'm logging on since my Xmas night rage quit. Not that I'm no longer mad at the game, but I'm also pissed at Call of Duty, and that's more recent.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 11, 2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Oh...public service announcement:

Someone apparently died on the road just north of the original town and rage quit. I stumbled across what appears to be all of your stuff and put it in the chest inside my home. There's also a diamond shovel that I didn't realize was still in my equipment until I returned home, so you can gather that as well.
That was me. Sometimes the lag makes it impossible to play, my attacks don't register and next thing I know I'm dead.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 12, 2012, 08:07 AM

Got some more stuff done today. Run by my place and check it out if you'd like.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 10:20 AM

I'm really weirded out by the big road. It's like a weird hybrid with a bridge only on land.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 12:11 PM

It makes travel so much easier and safer. No hopping over hills or venturing through darkened, forested areas if you get caught out after sunset. It does need some decoration, but for now it's very serviceable.

Laminar, where is your place at? I'll deliver your stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks to whoever left me the redstone (Blaze?). That should be plenty for the time being. Also thanks to whoever left me the slimeball.

Did a little mining last night, mostly in explored mines, mining coal no one bothered with and scraps of iron people may have missed. Exiting I also fell down a huge hole I don't think I should have survived... I'll post a pic of that at some point. Seeing as it was dusk I ended up having to spend the night in it.

It's a shame it's impossible to identify swamp land via Tectonicus.

Sneaked past my first Enderman last night. Creepy, creepy guys. Also, the asshole removed a block I needed on the stairway.

My neighbor's dog keeps me up all night.

Read up on enchanting. Again. Still far too much to absorb.

Need to learn where the arrow grinder is. Spent all of last night without a bow & arrow, which is part of the reason I spent so much time in partially explored areas.

Did some minor additions and terraforming around town. Don't think anyone is going to mind. If you do, I don't like you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 12:15 PM

It makes travel so much easier and safer. No hopping over hills or venturing through darkened, forested areas if you get caught out after sunset. It does need some decoration, but for now it's very serviceable.
I'm not objecting to the road itself, just really weirded out that at some point the land under it drops out but it keeps going; It seems like whoever built it got halfway through and said "**** it! I'm not dealing with changes in elevation anymore!"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 12:23 PM

Out of curiosity, are these three properties belonging to three different people?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 12:24 PM

Ha...if you're referring to the grass > tundra > desert stretch, that would be me. I kept it elevated above the desert because mobs seem to go absolutely nuts over it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
My neighbor's dog keeps me up all night.
HA!

Need to learn where the arrow grinder is. Spent all of last night without a bow & arrow, which is part of the reason I spent so much time in partially explored areas.
Fatty's place, blue line just through the right/front entrance (next to the lava fall). Also directly across the way from the XP grinder, so two birds, one stone, etc.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2012, 12:30 PM

Take the rail in Seks (red) to his house, go upstairs and take the blue rail to the grinder.

You can spot swamps by looking for mushrooms or the vines on the trees.

Let me know if you need slime, I had to lava my basement to stop them. My first attempt, snowmen, didn't work.

Spots on the road really need posts underneath. Maybe guardrails of some kind when it's elevated? Someone should suggest stone brick fences to jeb.

If you really want to mine loose iron and coal in a mostly safe place try the abandoned mine under Seks swamp. We skipped anything but gold lapis and redstone. My mines / caves also have a bunch of coal but i took everything else.

We need an actual barn in town since the animals escape fences.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 12:31 PM

Actually, I'm thinking of that part in the pic I posted. I think two of the three houses were lower than the road.

---

Since I'm somewhat stumped on where/how to settle, the only other project I have in mind is creating a rail system connecting NPC towns. Which, of course, I can't really do as the only gold I mined mysteriously disappeared after i died during The Great Xmas Screwing.

That and I have to design it yet.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 12:41 PM

Fatty's place, blue line just through the right/front entrance (next to the lava fall). Also directly across the way from the XP grinder, so two birds, one stone, etc.
Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Take the rail in Seks (red) to his house, go upstairs and take the blue rail to the grinder.
Any chance I can walk there?

You can spot swamps by looking for mushrooms or the vines on the trees.
I have to zoom in to be pretty sure I'm looking at vines.

Let me know if you need slime, I had to lava my basement to stop them. My first attempt, snowmen, didn't work.
I'll take any donations if other people with more progressed projects don't need them.

If you really want to mine loose iron and coal in a mostly safe place try the abandoned mine under Seks swamp. We skipped anything but gold lapis and redstone. My mines / caves also have a bunch of coal but i took everything else.
If I keep playing I'll probably get to that eventually. At the moment I have some spots near the second NPC village that I'm going to try to explore.

We need an actual barn in town since the animals escape fences.
Would building a barn at the NPC town in SW be too far away? I could remove a few of the gardens and build some elaborate barn in a large plot instead.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2012, 12:49 PM

Any chance I can walk there?
Sure but yuck. Follow jawbones directions.

Would building a barn at the NPC town in SW be too far away? I could remove a few of the gardens and build some elaborate barn in a large plot instead.
You wouldnt even need to remove gardens, just put it on a road. The gardens will be handy for the wheat needed for breeding. There are also no animals left around the village, I was trying to breed the wild population back up but they disappeared.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2012, 01:15 PM

The trees are also allot sparser in swamps compared to forests and that you can see from on high.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 01:24 PM

The trees are also allot sparser in swamps compared to forests and that you can see from on high.

I was about to post the same. A good example is just to the right and below (on the map) of Fatty's mountain.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 01:27 PM

Sure but yuck. Follow jawbones directions.
I'm too unfamiliarwith the map to be taking rails. I'm going place and then have no idea where I am. I need points of reference.

You wouldnt even need to remove gardens, just put it on a road. The gardens will be handy for the wheat needed for breeding. There are also no animals left around the village, I was trying to breed the wild population back up but they disappeared.
I suddenly wish I had my graph paper with me today.

Edit: And sek, do you play MW3 and Minecraft at the same time or what?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2012, 01:36 PM

The map has a way of showing special signes. I just have to figure out why it didn't work this morning. Then sek can relabel his rail stops.

andi*pandi
Jan 12, 2012, 01:37 PM

Out of curiosity, are these three properties belonging to three different people?

The two on the bottom were built by me and have connections to the green line rail underneath. The green line goes under the king's road all the way to my house.

Yes I got sick of elevation changes and just built. Supports would help the look, I didn't do those.

I grabbed some stacks of red stone and donated one to Dakar.

I say again, who is the doofy house?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
More importantly how did he get past the server white-list?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 02:27 PM

First off, yes, I farmed XP while playing MW3 last night for a period. I'd play a game and kill the zombies during the time in-between...mutlitasking!

Secondly, the rail isn't confusing at all. Yu can walk to my mountain easy enough but getting to the grinders would mean walking the rail line anyways. In Basement 3 of my village house (Lava Lamp) there is the Red Line, it takes you past Jawbones and directly into my mountain lobby. From there the Blue Line is located right in the lobby and takes you directly to both my grinders. Unfortunately for the time being AFK'ing for arrows also runs the XP grinder, and the zombies will build up to unacceptable levels unless you kill them from time to time. I think Blaze's idea of a piston controlled floor to make the drop one more block so the zombies would simply die is a great idea.

Thirdly, if Dakar, or anyone, needs redstone there is a ton of it left un-mined in both my huge mines. The first mine is located off the lobby, if you go to the bottom and walk through all the tunnels I dug, you will see a ton of Redstone. Also, the mine located underneath my Swamp house (south of Fatty Mountain) leads into an abandoned mineshaft and a ton of caves. Feel free to pick around there too.

Edit: Made a map

( Last edited by sek929; Jan 12, 2012 at 02:38 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 03:49 PM

Minecraft 1.1 Update
Below is a list of some of the added features:

- Bow Enchantments
- Golden Apple recipe
- New language translations.
- Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes
- Reduced brewing time to 20 seconds
- Added spawn eggs to creative (the colors of the eggs even look like the mobs)
- Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)
- Removed collision box from ladders
- Sheep eat grass and regain their wool

Plus many bug fixes!
So reading up on enchanting I found out that Experience is basically worthless except for enchanting.
Still, Bows don't wear out, right? So enchanted bow = #1 priority for me.
Edit: Of course bows have durability now...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 03:50 PM

1.1 is out, I opted not to update since I imagine the server will need the update first.

Nothing looks to startling, but now ladders do no take up a clipping box, which is awesome.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 03:59 PM

You're a mod, this should be particularly easy to figure out for you.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Secondly, the rail isn't confusing at all.
It is if you have no idea where you're going. Take rail > Arrive at destination > Which ****ing way is home if I want to explore?

Unfortunately for the time being AFK'ing for arrows also runs the XP grinder, and the zombies will build up to unacceptable levels unless you kill them from time to time.
Given that I lost my 13 or 20 or so mighty levels in The Great Xmas Screwing I can stand getting a few levels.

Thirdly, if Dakar, or anyone, needs redstone there is a ton of it left un-mined in both my huge mines. The first mine is located off the lobby, if you go to the bottom and walk through all the tunnels I dug, you will see a ton of Redstone. Also, the mine located underneath my Swamp house (south of Fatty Mountain) leads into an abandoned mineshaft and a ton of caves. Feel free to pick around there too.

Ok, so if I walk to your place is there some entrance that leads to the blue line?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 04:19 PM

Bows do indeed wear out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 04:22 PM

I already said that

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 04:24 PM

Ok, so if I walk to your place is there some entrance that leads to the blue line?
If you take the road you'll see JB's first, then cross a small bridge section into a courtyard. From here you can go up the stairs into the 2nd Floor Lobby, and make your way to the Main Lobby from there, or you can head right towards the wooden-roofed covered walkway which will bring you directly into the Main Lobby. One in the main lobby you will see two signs in front of you for the Red Line and Blue Line. If you don't have a cart on you there is a chest in the Red Line area that has carts.

If you want to leave via the Red Line instead of walking (which will lead you back into the village in my basement) set up the cart on the rail labeled 'village,' the other destination is still under construction.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2012, 04:34 PM

It is if you have no idea where you're going. Take rail > Arrive at destination > Which ****ing way is home if I want to explore?
I would have warned you if the fair was going to take you someplace weird. Simply going outside would have given you enough to orient yourself on the map. I won't give directions to my item grinder because they wouldn't be very clear. My XP grinder however is marked out on the stairs I posted pictures of.

If I can get the signes on the map working there a option were it gives you a picture from that point.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2012, 04:40 PM

I would have warned you if the fair was going to take you someplace weird. Simply going outside would have given you enough to orient yourself on the map.
You'd think that, but not relly. I walked the red line over xmas and explored sek's territory then started trying to get home – without really knowing which way it was. I think I eventually staggered into a village and spotted some structures from there.

Knowing which way was home from your portal would also have been impossible had it not been for Tectonicus.

If I can get the signes on the map working there a option were it gives you a picture from that point.
I better take down my signs at the Secret Underground lair that does or does not exists, as that would completely give it away.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2012, 04:53 PM

If you look up the mapping tools instructions you have to mark is signes with special characters.

andi*pandi
Jan 12, 2012, 05:02 PM

Well hello, what's this:

Very grand.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 07:02 PM

The property above the road is mine, but it's changed a bit since your map pic (see andi's screenshot).

SargentStudley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2012, 12:21 AM

Hey all! Lately I have been chopping down trees with a vengeance in order to supply charcoal for the road effort. I hope to have a shipment dropped over to the nearest safe house in the next day or so. I finally have a farm started. If anyone has eggs so that I can seed my chicken coop, that would be great.

On to my research and development project: The Dock that the King's Road will eventually lead to.

Everyone knows that boats break way too easily. Water running down to ground gently letting the boat down is a great way to bring a boat in, but then how to get the boat out?

Here's my solution, developed in Creative Mode for now:

Overhead of the dock by SargentStudley, on Flickr

The dock has a 3-wide 11-long deck that a boat flows down into. It'll stop in the last 3 blocks of the dock. Wool has a smaller chance of breaking a boat that hits it, so the surfaces are lined with it just in case someone misses the 3-wide slot. You can see in the image above that the water is flowing into the dock.

You can see in this next image however, the water is no longer flowing into the dock:
Deck view, looking out into the bay by SargentStudley, on Flickr

The entire 3x11 deck is made of pistons. Throw a switch, and the entire deck and boat are lifted to be even with the water, not below it. The log structures above are water valves. About 2 seconds after the deck raises, the two water valves open in sequence to wash the boat back out to sea. Once complete, the entire rig resets and water flows back into the dock.

The large wooden area behind the dock is all redstone. Here are some shots of the mechanics:

Latch mechanism in foreground, Left side piston drivers in the background:
Side view, level one, again. by SargentStudley, on Flickr

Close-up of the Left side piston drivers, and on the left of the image is the reset line for the aforementioned latch.

Side view, level one by SargentStudley, on Flickr

Top-Right: Left-Side drivers. Lower-Mid Left: Center piston drivers:

Center-Piston drivers, levels 2 and 3 by SargentStudley, on Flickr

I look forward to building this at the end of King's Road once I get the resources saved up.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2012, 12:27 AM

Hooooly crap.

andi*pandi
Jan 13, 2012, 12:35 PM

^Yes, that.

Aside from the wiring, you've also solved one of my main problems with boats. I can't get out of blaze's dome in a boat without bumping something and losing the boat.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2012, 12:40 PM

Boats have needed a buff since as long as I've played this game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2012, 02:13 PM

Alright I have a working design for the barn. I'm going to have six separate pens so you can breed and breed and then just enter one and collect its contents without worrying about making a mess.

I've also got plans to create pig pen, chicken coop, and grazing area for sheep. I have a feeling the chicken coop will come last.

Just need to harvest enough wood for the project.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2012, 02:33 PM

The Forest area near our original village has been my go-to place for harvesting mass amounts of wood, I built a safehouse near the lake right in the center of the woods.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2012, 02:36 PM

I was sapling/bonemealing it up right outside the town a few nights ago. Should work. Just need to invest the time.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2012, 05:07 PM

Aside from the wiring, you've also solved one of my main problems with boats. I can't get out of blaze's dome in a boat without bumping something and losing the boat.
I'm gonna take a look at the basic concept and see if I can miniaturize it enough to work in my dome.

Getting through would be allot easier with 3 wide doors but those are very hard to make and I need the openings to be 3 tall. The only 3x3 ones I've see are HUGE and slow. I may do a landing pad inside the dome instead of water but I'm not sure about the aesthetics yet.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2012, 09:50 PM

I was sapling/bonemealing it up right outside the town a few nights ago. Should work. Just need to invest the time.
I have 768 wood blocks for you. Where would you like them delivered?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2012, 11:37 AM

I updated the server to 1.1 no crashes or biome problems that I can see.

Village Discussion

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jan 14, 2012, 02:25 PM

Hello all,

I just downloaded Minecraft for Mac a few days ago, this for my son, and he wanted to go online, however, we are having problems connecting to servers. Are there a few suggestions out there for a few addresses which will work?

Thanks

Rob

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2012, 02:36 PM

Minecraft Survival Servers - Minecraft Forum

There's no official servers. There all hosted by individuals or groups. Though finding a kid friendly server may be hard.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2012, 03:15 PM

Sheep are the Houdini's of my pasture.

andi*pandi
Jan 14, 2012, 03:35 PM

I'd been wondering about kid-friendly servers too, as my kid is incredibly jealous of multiplayer. Our solution is one of his friends is starting a server. Supposedly.

All animals now seem able to get out of pasture.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2012, 03:41 PM

I doubled the depth of the fences in the village to see if that stops those sheep from escaping. I only have issues in my barn if there are to many cows. Then one ends up thru the wall (of solid blocks.)

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2012, 06:32 PM

Oops, didn't know about this, Guess I broke the rules when I set up my rail station. I'll fix it next time I'm in.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2012, 08:18 PM

I was curious you didn't just connect to the rail that goes literally under the road from the village all the way to andi's

Forum Links
Forum Rules