Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Safari keeps crashing a lot on iOS 11.2

Safari keeps crashing a lot on iOS 11.2
And.reg
The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Feb 1, 2018, 08:54 AM

I have an iPhone SE 32 GB on Verizon, iCloud Safari switch on, but not iCloud Keychain. Ever since updating to iOS 11.2, Safari keeps crashing a lot. For instance, if I restart my phone and launch Safari with cellular off and WiFi on, Safari will crash with a minute. Actually it’s more of a freeze since the display will become unresponsive, and stay that way, until I press the Home button, then I can get touch controls back, relaunch Safari, and then wait 10 seconds before Safari window disappears and takes me back Home. So, I relaunch Safari, but it crashes again after about 5 minutes of browsing various webpages (doesn’t seem to matter what the webpages are, or if I am typing in a search engine, and doesn’t seem to matter if I have cerulean turned on). And sometimes it’s every 5 minutes that it spontaneously freezes. This has been going on for a month or two. Why is this happening, and how do I get this troubleshooted?
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2018, 02:58 PM

Not the best answer, but 11.3 is coming soon.

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Feb 8, 2018, 06:34 PM

Well after meeting with a Verizon rep, being on the phone with their tech support for half an hour, and resetting my iPhone two different ways, we deduced that somehow, the Safari iOS cache was corrupted, and every few minutes, would peg the cache to my iCloud and get hung up on whatever it was that got corrupted (no idea what, probably some malicious website code from who knows where). I also noticed that, even after clearing my Safari iOS cache, the mobile version of Facebook would instantly crash Safari anyway. So far, I'm not very confident that the crash bug is remedied, but we've ruled out all other possibilities such as a total iOS failure or hardware defect. Still... one would think that after two months of Safari crashing, Safari would be smart enough to have a try/catch and eliminate the problem going forward.

andi*pandi
Feb 9, 2018, 11:26 AM

facebook app, or going to facebook in the browser?

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Feb 9, 2018, 01:09 PM

No, the actual Safari browser. It didn't happen today, though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2018, 12:07 PM

Any plug-ins/ad-blockers/content suppressors installed?

I had terrible instability on iOS Safari for a while, until I deactivated one of my adblockers. All problems instantly went away.

I'm now using Adguard Pro, and everything is fine and stable. Facebook's mobile website still sucks complete donkey balls, but no. ****ing. Way. am I ever reinstalling the goddamn app.

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Feb 13, 2018, 08:44 AM

No, I don’t have any iOS ad blocking that I know of.

Update: Even after repeatedly clearing Safari cache and data on iOS (like, every few days), Safari still keeps crashing spontaneously, but instead of locking up and freezing first, it’s just a spontaneous crash and immediately springboards me to the home screen.

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Feb 13, 2018, 12:21 PM

After speaking with a Verizon engineer again, he suggested that it’s one of the apps that I downloaded from iCloud that would be causing it. Since I have only 12 apps, that makes for a small test pool. I’ve deleted 10 of the 12 (keeping only MyVerizon and TheOthello paid version) and so far, Safari seems more stable. I have a suspicion that it was the Gmail app causing Safari to crash. But I still need to add Gmail app, see if the problem comes back, then remove Gmail app, and see if the problem is gone again, do this for a few cycles, and see if I can rule it out. More on this later.

andi*pandi
Feb 13, 2018, 01:38 PM

that would be interesting, if gmail were the culprit.

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Feb 14, 2018, 09:48 AM

Here is an update. Seems that turning on Walmart App notifications is the culprit. I can have the app installed, as long as all notifications are turned off, Safari seems to remain stable and not crash for well over 5 minutes of normal web browsing. But if I go into Settings > Notifications and turn Walmart App notifications on (all switches on), Safari will spontaneously crash after a few minutes of normal browsing. The only way for me to remedy this problem is to turn notifications back off, to clear the memory, and then restart the phone. Then I can browse Safari without it crashing after 5 or so minutes. So, again, I can keep the Walmart App installed, I just need to keep its notifications turned off.

andi*pandi
Feb 14, 2018, 11:38 AM

brrrr, walmart app. It's harvesting your safari cache, or some other thing.

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Feb 23, 2018, 09:35 AM

Well here's an update.

So, I noticed that Safari was still hanging for a moment, and/or crashing occasionally, even with Walmart notification turned off. So, I completely uninstalled the Walmart, cleared the Safari cache, and then restarted my iPhone. Then I browsed some simple webpages on Safari, and... it crashed suddenly. It seems that not only Walmart app notifications were triggering a crash, but Gmail app notifications also were triggering Safari to crash. When I uninstalled both apps, cleared the Safari cache, and restarted my iPhone, Safari seemed very stable again.

Let me try to reinstall Gmail app, and try with notifications on then notifications off, without Walmart app, and see what happens.

So, still not at the finish line with this extremely aggravating ongoing nuisance of a problem.

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Feb 27, 2018, 08:50 AM

So I’ve tested the iPhone again... with Gmail notifications on and Walmart app purged. So far, Safari seems to be holding up.
The only reason that I had the Walmart app installed a while ago was to use their Walmart Pay. Meh...

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Mar 10, 2018, 07:11 PM

And this will likely be my final update concerning this issue.

Safari has been very stable for the past two weeks since I've deleted the Walmart App, and I continue to use the Gmail app frequently.

So, that does it.
My recommendation to iPhone users: Don't use the Walmart App.

Molder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2018, 10:37 AM

How are Walmart app and Safari connected?

andi*pandi
Mar 30, 2018, 12:49 PM

they both suck?

bikasgaur
Banned
Apr 8, 2018, 09:12 AM

I own an iPhone 7 previously which was on iOS 10. Today it happened to update by itself to iOS 11.3 but now multiple apps - that include Instagram, Spotify - load only a blank white screen on startup and crashes itself after few seconds. Any idea how do I get the apps running normally again? Thanks for the help in advance.

andi*pandi
Apr 10, 2018, 11:06 AM

Your post is not really related to the topic, bikas. Would you like me to split it to a new topic and get more attention?

Have you tried force restart?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by bikasgaur View Post
I own an iPhone 7 previously which was on iOS 10. Today it happened to update by itself to iOS 11.3 but now multiple apps - that include Instagram, Spotify - load only a blank white screen on startup and crashes itself after few seconds. Any idea how do I get the apps running normally again? Thanks for the help in advance.
Have you updated all apps to their latest versions?

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Apr 26, 2018, 08:10 PM

Just saw that bikasgaur's gone already...?

Thorzdad
Apr 26, 2018, 10:17 PM

Sig spammer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules