Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Problems making XP in Paralels 'see' a bigger disk

Problems making XP in Paralels 'see' a bigger disk
Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 06:28 PM

Used the ImageTool.app to make the HD image in Paralells bigger, but the XP install doesn't 'see' the extra space?
In the Parallels 'Property' Page is says the disk is 40000MB (that's about 40GB, right?) but in XP it says the drive is only about 4GB? is there just a load of unpartitioned space within the disk image?

Why did Parallels get rid of there support forums?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2006, 06:37 PM

If you increased the disk size after installing XP, then XP won't automatically resize the partition to fill the disk (no OS would). Open up Disk Management (inside Computer Management) and see if the rest of the space appears there, unpartitioned. You can either create another partition with the rest of the space, buy/use PartitionMagic to resize the partition, or reinstall XP and create a larger partition in the install process.

Mediaman_12  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
If you increased the disk size after installing XP, then XP won't automatically resize the partition to fill the disk (no OS would). Open up Disk Management (inside Computer Management) and see if the rest of the space appears there, unpartitioned. You can either create another partition with the rest of the space, buy/use PartitionMagic to resize the partition, or reinstall XP and create a larger partition in the install process.
GRRRRRR ARSE!
So what I should have done is created an enormous expanding disk when first setting up parallels, I have had this (with the same XP install) since the early beta, and this wasn't made clear then.
I am sure the expanding disks in VPC didn't require you to enter a massive size at the start?

Thanks.

Is this ' Disk Management (inside Computer Management)' within XP (control panel?) or somewhere in Parallels?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2006, 01:32 PM

Yes, you should have made a large disk (expanding or fixed depending on your disk constraints or performance needs) from the beginning. I don't know if VPC used any trickery to avoid this, but I doubt it did.

Right click on My Computer and choose Manage. Then choose Disk Management.

mark.s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
Why did Parallels get rid of there support forums?
It's still there, just not linked from the main web-site.

http://forum.parallels.com/

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
GRRRRRR ARSE!
That was my response too, when I needed to make a 4GB drive into a 6GB one. However, in case anyone else needs it, I found a naice solution on the Parallels Forums linked below:

How I resized a Windows partition
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules