Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > For those of you taking propecia

For those of you taking propecia
Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2005, 01:32 AM

Hi,
This is a question for those of you taking propecia. My GP advised me not to continue with my course of propecia that i had received from a tricologist.(the tricologist had prescribed propeica and minixodil).He said that a case study revealed that increases your chances of getting prostate cancer.I mean im confused ive read it reduces youre chances of prostate cancer or it can also increase your chances of prostate cancer.

Can someone shine some light on this issue. Im 19 ive stopped taking it a little under 6 months ago and m hair is thining in the middle again.Im considering alternative treatments but i dont know what else is out there.

rob
( Last edited by Rob van dam; Jun 1, 2005 at 04:04 AM. )
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Ham Sandwich
Jun 1, 2005, 06:34 AM

Problem solved:
Go bald with dignity.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2005, 06:39 AM

Yeah, bald is cool.

And you always have a joke to make.

-Owl

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
Problem solved:
Go bald with dignity.

I actually thought what it would be like so i shaved my head a while ago and to tell you the tryth give me a pair of glasses i literally look like steve jobs

I guess i will look into other treatments

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 08:19 AM

Shave your head and be happy. Chicks dig cool bald guys.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 08:23 AM

Shave it off, girls love it.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2005, 09:12 AM

shave it off. maybe not mr clean off, but real low to the scalp. Another upside is that it saves tons of money. I was getting a haaircut every 2 weeks or so @ 15 dollars a wack. The sheers at walmart were 15. My wife doesn't charge me anything (spousal charges may vary!! )
Joe

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 2, 2005, 12:30 PM

Get hair implants. They're soooo sexy.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 12:48 PM

Try Rogaine

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 12:52 PM

From Dermatologic Clinics
Volume 23 • Number 2 • April 2005
Copyright © 2005 W. B. Saunders Company

"The most common side effects are decreased libido, decreased semen volume, and erectile dysfunction, with each occurring in fewer than 2% of men younger than 41 years [4], [5], [6] and slightly more often in older men [7]. These sexual side effects often abate with continued treatment and resolve completely within days to weeks if treatment is stopped [4], [6]. Breast cancer has been reported in a few patients with higher dose (5 mg/d) finasteride (Proscar) [11], [12], but the epidemiologic significance and causal relationship is unknown. A significantly lower prevalence of prostate cancer (25%), but a higher histologic grade (6.4% [drug] versus 5.1% [placebo], with a Gleason score of 7–10) also has been reported with daily use of 5-mg finasteride in a recent large-scale 7-year placebo-controlled study on men aged 55 or older with clinically normal prostates [13]. The clinical behavior of these cancers is unknown. The relevance to men with MPHL treated with one fifth of the dose has not been assessed; guidelines for determination of baseline and screening serum prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in these men have not been developed, and testing should be done according to the physician's discretion. For evaluative purposes, the value of the PSA obtained on routine screening should be doubled in men older than 41 years"

Hope that helps.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 01:07 PM

Buzz it, man. I'm not going bald, but I wore my hair 1/8-inch long all through college, and I had chicks all over me like stink on a monkey.

Short hair rules all. If you're losin' it, cut it off before it has a chance to leave on its own.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam
Hi,
Im 19 ive stopped taking it a little under 6 months ago and m hair is thining in the middle again.Im considering alternative treatments but i dont know what else is out there.

rob
The risk only affects older men.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2005, 02:22 PM

wanker, hope those aren't your plugs!!
Joe

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam
Hi,
Can someone shine some light on this issue. Im 19 ive stopped taking it a little under 6 months ago and m hair is thining in the middle again.Im considering alternative treatments but i dont know what else is out there.

rob
You're still young. They'll probably have a gene therapy cure for baldness in another 10-20 years. Shave your head till then.

I've got a receding hairline and a bald patch at the back. I keep it really short. And I've got a hot girlfriend. Losing your hair won't affect your ability to attract women. Gaining lots of weight and getting out of shape probably will. Keep your remaining hair cut very short and work out like crazy at the gym.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 04:46 PM

Does propecia stop hair loss, or encourage new growth, or both?

Chris

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
Does propecia stop hair loss, or encourage new growth, or both?

Chris

A guy at work went on it and it was nothing short of a miracle what it did for him. But to answer your question from what I know it does both or either.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

kikkoman
Senior User
Jun 2, 2005, 09:29 PM

Is castration an option?

Ha ha just kidding. Check your PM.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2005, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ratm
The risk only affects older men.

thats what i thought but my GP thought otherwise

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2005, 01:10 AM

seriously, shave your head.

it's guaranteed not to give you ass-cancer.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2005, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff
You're still young. They'll probably have a gene therapy cure for baldness in another 10-20 years. Shave your head till then.

I've got a receding hairline and a bald patch at the back. I keep it really short. And I've got a hot girlfriend. Losing your hair won't affect your ability to attract women. Gaining lots of weight and getting out of shape probably will. Keep your remaining hair cut very short and work out like crazy at the gym.

hahah thanks fot the reply although im not as fit as i use to be no where near fatty range.I guess ill shave it again.I actually dont look bad whith a shaved head and some facial hair .However i still want to look for stuff that will delay the process.

Forum Links
Forum Rules