Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where did my Desktop go?

Where did my Desktop go?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 12:46 PM

Hi All,

My G5 running OSX 10.4.4 has lost its desktop.

Oh, I can see the desktop in a Finder window, but there is nothing on the screen at all when there are no Finder windows open. Very strange, it's like the old days of the Simple Finder of OS9.

I've run DFAid from my Tiger DVD, no fix, and Disk Warrior hasn't helped either.

It all started when the Finder crashed (unfortunately, I can't remember what I was doing when it did, but the only new thing I've added to the G5 in the last while is a slightly newer version of iTunes for a new iPod).

I've just now restarted with the Tiger installer, and the only installation option I've got for this disk is to Archive and Install. I'd rather not, as I haven't had a lot of luck doing this and keeping all of my previously installed apps running smoothly.

Any suggestions?

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 01:33 PM

Ok, call me impatient.

I needed to get back to work, so I did an Archive and Install.

No fix, the desktop icons are still missing!

Arrrrgh!!

Don't tell me I need to install from scratch?? (or worse yet, wipe the drive :-(

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2006, 01:34 PM

Try trashing the Finder preferences (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist), reboot and see whether that fixes the problem.

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2006, 05:14 PM

If deleting the preferences doesn't work try checking your permissions, you can use the get info window on the finder or in the terminal, make sure the owner is set to yourself and that only you can read and write, if you use the terminal, your preferences should look as follows. basically this says that it's a directory, only I can read, write, and execute data from this folder. and the two telusmans show that i have exclusive ownership of this folder. I had the same proble you did once and it was because somehow my read access had been revoked from my folder, resetting the permissions made the desktop visible again.

drwx------ 6 telusman telusman 204 Feb 6 11:54 Desktop
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 07:02 PM

Thanks guys, deleting the prefs worked (!*&£!@% why didn't I think of that before I Archived and Installed OSX...grr!)

Much appreciated,

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules