Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is this a problem with the macbooks?

Is this a problem with the macbooks?
Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 11:44 AM

If I power down, and close the screen before the MB is totally off, it goes into sleep mode and won't wake up. The little blue light flashes but the screen is off. After several attempts at powering on by holding the power button down for several seconds it re boots. I get a box that says OSX unexpectedly quit last session.

Is that normal?

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy
If I power down, and close the screen before the MB is totally off, it goes into sleep mode and won't wake up. The little blue light flashes but the screen is off. After several attempts at powering on by holding the power button down for several seconds it re boots. I get a box that says OSX unexpectedly quit last session.

Is that normal?

Why do you bother to power down?

Seems like a case of

Patient: "Dr. it hurts when I do this."
Dr.: "Don't do it then."

gimme a break.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 12:03 PM

So just let the thing power down before you close the lid.

donovan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 12:04 PM

He was asking if it was normal for this to happen, he didn't need a smart-alecked comment telling him 'then don't do it'.

To answer the original question, it doesn't really sound normal to me.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Reize
He was asking if it was normal for this to happen, he didn't need a smart-alecked comment telling him 'then don't do it'.

It sounds completely normal to me. He initiates a shutdown and then interrupts it at some unknown point with a hardware sleep. When he tries to start it again the computer complains that it was not shut down properly.

Relax. Just don't sleep before shutdown has finished.

Again, why even shut down in the first place? Sleep is just fine.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 12:10 PM

The little blue light flashes

Blue light...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 12:11 PM

No he's straining at a gnat. Why on earth would you just not wait the extra 1 second and let the shutdown cycle complete?

And who died and made you forum moderator around here Mr. Notebookreview Troll.

donovan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 12:13 PM

I initiate shutdown on my notebook and close the lid before it was complete and have suffered no problems from it, so it seemed abnormal to me.

EDIT:

I'm curious as to how I'm a troll, I simply post my opinions and don't follow any of the behaviors of the aformentioned being.

I type correctly, I don't insult people, I respect others opinions when they aren't insulting themselves.

I'm posting my opinion on the subject matter as do most others, and I sincerely don't like being singled out for doing nothing wrong.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 12:52 PM

I agree with Reize that there was nothing about the question or the way it was asked that merited mockery. And anyway, aren't the little touches part of why we love Apple so much? I would think that when shutdown is initiated, the hardware sleep would be ignored. Especially if the interrupt comes at a point where there's nothing to come back to.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 01:01 PM

Is that normal?
I don't know what blue light youe referencing but closing the case before the machine completely powers down will cause it to go so sleep instead of shutting down. I used to do this with my PB by accident.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by hadocon
Why do you bother to power down?

Seems like a case of

Patient: "Dr. it hurts when I do this."
Dr.: "Don't do it then."

gimme a break.

Why do you bother to reply?

Why wouldn't I power down when I'm leaving work and taking it with me?

When this happens, I can't turn my MB back on! That's why I'm asking. It powers off but the blue light continually flashes. I can't power back on for several minutes. I get a very faint screen with a warning when I try to power. I cannot make it out. That doesn't sound normal.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
I agree with Reize that there was nothing about the question or the way it was asked that merited mockery. And anyway, aren't the little touches part of why we love Apple so much? I would think that when shutdown is initiated, the hardware sleep would be ignored. Especially if the interrupt comes at a point where there's nothing to come back to.

Yes, exactly what I think. Everything should just shut down.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 12:39 AM

I initiate shutdown on my notebook and close the lid before it was complete and have suffered no problems from it, so it seemed abnormal to me.

Thanks for the response. It's not a big deal so far, except that I simply shut down, close the screen and then later I find that it's still been on the whole time in sleep mode, but I cannot wake it up. Eventually the power button reboots it. But not at first.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
No he's straining at a gnat. Why on earth would you just not wait the extra 1 second and let the shutdown cycle complete?

Hardly. Quite a bit longer. and if my MB is in sleep mode and wont wake up, that's a little more serious. Also I'm just describing how it gets to that point . The fact that the computer is not easily rebooting should tell you that there could be more to it. The last time it happened I could not get my screen back on for several minutes. It was like the power button didn't work.
( Last edited by Heavy; Jun 4, 2006 at 01:17 AM. )

sammyb1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2006, 01:18 AM

Not to be smart, but if you read your owners manual it will inform you that closing your cover(lid) before complete shut down will cause your symptoms. My wife read about that problem when I bought her computer.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 01:37 AM

Where does it say that? I went through the manual. I know it will go into sleep mode when you close it, but where does it say where it gets stuck inbetween sleep and shut down, and how are you supposed to wake it up?

sammyb1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2006, 02:03 AM

sorry, I miss spoke. I was referring to pg16, don't move until all activity stops because you can damage the hard drive. The apple support discussion page has a thread on your question. No answer. Again for giving you wrong info

Forum Links
Forum Rules