Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > buy a t-shirt! fight poverty!

buy a t-shirt! fight poverty!
highwaysix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2007, 03:09 AM

Our organization, http://www.teexas.org, is the first non-profit microfinance student organization at the University of Texas at Austin. This post essentially boils down to this: you buy a t-shirt, we help the impoverished try to help themselves through microfinance.

For those who are unfamiliar, microfinance is the process of making small loans (less than 1000 dollars) to individuals in developing nations. We focus on only lending to women. We don't charge interest on the money we loan; the whole idea is to give these women a little seed money so they can start or expand their businesses and empower themselves. The success rate for repayment is about 98% with usually year to year and half terms.

Here's where you all come in. To raise money for these small loans, we're selling t-shirts. Rather than do strict donations, we want everyone who takes part in this effort to be able to give someone something they can hold in their hand immediately in exchange for their support. I want to stress the fact that we -do not- make any money off of this, after costs everything goes completely towards making loans women like these:

I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't honestly believe in this. It's a real way to make a meaningful difference to someone across the world, so far we've had great success.

the latin words mean: begin and you've been multiplied

100% cotton t-shirts

Forum Links
Forum Rules