Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photo Critique Thread - [JPEG]

Photo Critique Thread - [JPEG] (Page 20)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 14, 2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You don't NEED a high end DSLR for basic images like that. But you do need a camera that will allow you to enter manual mode where you can change the aperture settings. Does the SD750 have a manual mode?
I like the DSLR for its better depth of focus abilities. The SD750 does have a manual mode that allows for adjustments to exposure, white balance, color (vivid, neutral, sepia, etc.), compression, and quality.

I did play with the manual mode a bit.

Here's a picture taken in "auto" mode:

Here's that same setup in "manual" mode with color set to "vivid" and exposure set to -2/3

And here's that picture with the "color accent" setting turned on. This is the setting that girls use to take pictures they think are "artsy" and post on Facebook.

The SD750 doesn't support RAW, so unfortunately I can't provide you guys with that.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2008, 12:38 AM

Here's a quick and dirty version of the train blurred:

Obviously, it'd need quite a bit of cleaning up if I was going to use this for real, but this is what I was going for.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2008, 09:27 AM

I'm with Railroader on needing a new, cleaner picture for a solid finished product. The composition in this one is just a bit too complicated: the train is almost horizontal, but the car is pointing at one diagonal and those phone lines are at a conflicting angle. That gives the picture a sort of confused look. Parking the car 50 feet farther forward, so that the phone lines aren't in the picture at all, would be a huge benefit (assuming that there's clear space that far ahead...). And think about the lines your subject and the background draw, because the eye is pulled to those lines. It can be good or bad, depending on what YOU do with those lines.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm with Railroader on needing a new, cleaner picture for a solid finished product. The composition in this one is just a bit too complicated: the train is almost horizontal, but the car is pointing at one diagonal and those phone lines are at a conflicting angle. That gives the picture a sort of confused look. Parking the car 50 feet farther forward, so that the phone lines aren't in the picture at all, would be a huge benefit (assuming that there's clear space that far ahead...). And think about the lines your subject and the background draw, because the eye is pulled to those lines. It can be good or bad, depending on what YOU do with those lines.
Actually, just to the left and right of the frame are buildings - a bus garage and the police station. And since the police here in town are out to get me, I tried to be very quick about my picture. But these are very good suggestions, and I do plan on taking more pictures.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 15, 2008, 11:15 AM

Oh, and take the front license plates off for the pictures.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 15, 2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Actually, just to the left and right of the frame are buildings - a bus garage and the police station. And since the police here in town are out to get me, I tried to be very quick about my picture. But these are very good suggestions, and I do plan on taking more pictures.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2008, 11:40 AM

Here are a couple from the trip I just returned from. These are from a day spent traversing the Athabasca Glacier in Banff NP.

#1: Delicate Bridge-

#2: Millwell (a millwell is a place where glacial melt has carved out a vertical, swirling shaft. They are one of the more dangerous spots on a glacier, as they are hard to see (not visible 5' away) and if you fall down one, there is little chance of survival (they can be up to 400' deep, and with the ice/freezing cold water, if you survive the fall, you probably wont live long enough to be rescued). That being said, like a siren, they are incredibly beautiful and intriguing.)

And how does one safely take a photo staring into a millwell? You need a partner (preferably an experienced guide who does this all the time), an ice axe, and a little bit of courage (or maybe stupidity). A shot my wife took of me snapping the picture (taken on a cell phone, so the PQ isn't great):

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 12:06 PM

Oh, and take the front license plates off for the pictures.
That would leave three holes in the front bumper, but I could easily PS those out. Good suggestion.

I kind of have a history with them going back into high school. My tint is definitely illegal, but no one seems to care except the cops here in town. My mom's been pulled over driving my car because of it and the police have driven by my house slowly when my car's parked at the end of the driveway. When I drive around town the windows are down and I take the quickest route out.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 04:02 PM

Yes? No?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post

#2: Millwell (a millwell is a place where glacial melt has carved out a vertical, swirling shaft. They are one of the more dangerous spots on a glacier, as they are hard to see (not visible 5' away) and if you fall down one, there is little chance of survival (they can be up to 400' deep, and with the ice/freezing cold water, if you survive the fall, you probably wont live long enough to be rescued). That being said, like a siren, they are incredibly beautiful and intriguing.)
Very cool shot. Looks like somebody poured a whole bunch of windshield washer fluid down a hole.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 04:17 PM

Yes? No?
: Sorry.

OreoCookie
Aug 15, 2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
You got guts to climb a glacier.

The first picture is great, but the second one looks like a woman's private parts to me (sorry, can't help it). Other than that, it's beautiful as well.
I took this shot during a wedding I did candid shots for. I was hoping to capture movement, but it looks like I mostly achieved ghosting.

I like it.
Did the flash trigger in the beginning or at the end of the exposure (I know what it's called in German, first or second curtain, but in English that doesn't make much sense)? Can you post the EXIF data?

I have taken a few similar pics, but mine didn't turn out as well as this one.
The Contour forum I belong to publishes a calendar every year featuring pictures taken by its members.

[Lots 'a car pics]
No offense, but IMHO the car is not very pretty from any angle.
Concerning the pics themselves, I like the last one best (keep the poles and the wires on this one!).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Did the flash trigger in the beginning or at the end of the exposure (I know what it's called in German, first or second curtain, but in English that doesn't make much sense)? Can you post the EXIF data?

I love double exposures, too, but they’re so hard to get right. They’re usually great at parties, though, with the dim light and the extra touch of movement a double exposure adds.

(And it’s called ‘first curtain’ and ‘second curtain’ in English, too)

OreoCookie
Aug 15, 2008, 07:05 PM

As usual, Oisín knows the answer, thanks
Well, I wasn't sure, it just sounds weird in English.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 07:18 PM

That would leave three holes in the front bumper, but I could easily PS those out. Good suggestion.

I kind of have a history with them going back into high school. My tint is definitely illegal, but no one seems to care except the cops here in town. My mom's been pulled over driving my car because of it and the police have driven by my house slowly when my car's parked at the end of the driveway. When I drive around town the windows are down and I take the quickest route out.
Fascinating discussion about the car, love the suggestions.
Just curious who else would care, except the cops?
we don't have time to stop for gas

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I love double exposures, too, but they’re so hard to get right. They’re usually great at parties, though, with the dim light and the extra touch of movement a double exposure adds.

(And it’s called ‘first curtain’ and ‘second curtain’ in English, too)
A traditional mechanical shutter has two "curtains." The first OPENS the shutter by moving out of the way. The second CLOSES it by moving INTO the way. Resetting the shutter exchanges the positions of the two curtains.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 16, 2008, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I like it.

I think I used "First Curtain" (same in English as was pointed out). The flash fired, and then I dragged the exposure after the flash.

Exif:
Camera Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Exposure Time 0.5s (1/2)
Aperture f/5.6
ISO 400
Focal Length 18mm (28.8mm in 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 3888 x 2592
Flash flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Exposure Program manual
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Mode manual
White Balance manual

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 16, 2008, 12:33 AM

Yes? No?
Too much distraction with the posts and rails. Try some non-country locations. Admittedly, it is not the most exciting looking car as was pointed out, so you'll need to throw some drama with a dramatic location. Maybe near some modern art sculptures or on a beach. Black and white only does so much for a shot.

Go lower in your perspective and tighter in your cropping. Maybe even below bumper level and include a lot of the sky (polarize filter of course).

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 16, 2008, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
A traditional mechanical shutter has two "curtains." The first OPENS the shutter by moving out of the way. The second CLOSES it by moving INTO the way. Resetting the shutter exchanges the positions of the two curtains.
I always wondered about that. Good explanation. Thanks.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2008, 02:37 AM

Too much distraction with the posts and rails. Try some non-country locations. Admittedly, it is not the most exciting looking car as was pointed out, so you'll need to throw some drama with a dramatic location. Maybe near some modern art sculptures or on a beach. Black and white only does so much for a shot.

Go lower in your perspective and tighter in your cropping. Maybe even below bumper level and include a lot of the sky (polarize filter of course).
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm moving back to school next week so I'll have access to more "city" locations. And as for the car not looking "exciting" or "pretty," that's not a problem. These pictures are for a community that exists only because of this car. I'm not asking any of you to like my car, just how to photograph it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm moving back to school next week so I'll have access to more "city" locations. And as for the car not looking "exciting" or "pretty," that's not a problem. These pictures are for a community that exists only because of this car. I'm not asking any of you to like my car, just how to photograph it.
Go low and for more of a 3/4 view than the nearly head-on view in the B&W image, and you'll get more drama and excitement. The 3/4 view also gives you a natural line-the longitudinal axis of the car-to use to design your composition. And you can use 3/4 front or 3/4 rear depending on the background to get those effects. As Railroader says, lower will be better because you'll get more sky and thus more drama (Iowa has great skies!).

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 16, 2008, 10:05 AM

... And as for the car not looking "exciting" or "pretty," that's not a problem. These pictures are for a community that exists only because of this car. I'm not asking any of you to like my car, just how to photograph it.
True, I kinda like the looks of the car, but you could put a Tesla Roadster in most of your shots and I still think they wouldn't sell the car very well. Take a look at some of the advertisements of your ca from when it was originally sold and get some ideas from that.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2008, 04:12 PM

MarkLT1, love your cold pics. The precarious method you used to take them give me an uneasy feeling, good thing your wife was there to snap the "making of" photo.

Here's a few shots of very different, but quite typical South Florida scenes. Single RAW files processed with three exposures each.

weather:

snakes and gators:

sunburn:

In the second picture, the sun was just out of frame on the right, and I don't have any sort of filters so my sky was blown out, no fixing that except to go try again. Also I removed any color from the sky, yet it's still showing in the water. I may redo this one.

Nothin' serious, just having fun with these! but tell me what you think anyhow ; )
ice

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 17, 2008, 04:52 PM

I am not an HDR fan. The first one looks good and has good composition. Actually, all of the shots have good composition, but I do not like the colors.

I just don't like HDR.

moep
Senior User
Aug 17, 2008, 05:05 PM

I love all of them. Stunning how close to real HDR these pictures are. Great job.

What programs/techniques did you use? I just tried Photomatrix on a couple of my raw files and the example was nowhere near as subtle as your pictures.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2008, 05:18 PM

PS + Photomatix. Once in PS, using adjustment layers allows me to create a little more "subtle" effect. Glad you like!

oh, and it's funny, on flickr(and elsewhere) there's a backlash against people creating HDR images from a single RAW. The power of RAW is partly in it's ability to edit your exposure without degrading the quality of the image. If you take a photo and then produce two copies of it, one slightly overexposed, and one slighty underexposed, I see no real difference in that and doing the same thing in the field. Well, except of course, that doing it in post is almost easier.
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2008, 05:32 PM

I am not an HDR fan. The first one looks good and has good composition. Actually, all of the shots have good composition, but I do not like the colors.

I just don't like HDR.

The shot of the airboat would have been impossible(with the equipment I had on me) without producing multiple exposures. To expose the boat properly, the sky would blow out. To expose the sky properly the boat would be almost black. I only had my built-in flash to work with, and at full power it still wasn't lighting the boat enough to have proper exposure overall. Creating three exposures did the trick.

The other two surely didn't need HDR treatment to bring exposure in line, but I did it for fun and drama. : )
ice

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2008, 05:52 PM

did you use a tripod IceEnclosure? what camera setup?
we don't have time to stop for gas

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2008, 05:53 PM

Didn't have my tripod on me. If I had it, I'd have bracketed the shots and not needed to produce the other exposures in Photoshop. I was using my D40 with kit lens.
ice

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2008, 07:04 PM

I just don't like HDR.
I'm with RR on this one. HDR has been beaten to death. That said, I do like the last one.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2008, 09:47 PM

I can't stand HDR, sorry.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2008, 10:52 PM

I shall press on, undeterred.
ice

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 18, 2008, 12:53 AM

I will break your HDR soul!!!

Seriously, most, if not 99%, of the "work" has major errors in the contrast. The colors do not truly represent what the eye sees.

Do. Not. Like.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2008, 02:54 AM

speaking of car shots, this was today:

ice

OreoCookie
Aug 18, 2008, 03:43 AM

Most HDR is badly done and superfluous. I like it sometimes when it's a subtle effect, but in many cases, people tend to use it when they don't know anything about more traditional methods like gradient masks/filters to fix the exposure of the sky, for instance.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2008, 06:44 AM

A lot of HDR is turd polishing, where people start out with bad pictures and then try and make them look 'artistic'.

Not in any way directed against Ice's pictures above, just a general observation.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2008, 09:08 PM

Nice use of lines, Ice.

moep
Senior User
Aug 19, 2008, 04:45 PM

Absolutely OT but I thought one of you might be interested in this:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=900492

A Canon 450 XSi body for $535 shipped. Shame they don’t ship internationally or I'd be all over it.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 01:26 PM

(I've returned to test the waters yet again)

This guy's use of HDR is heavy, but I'm pretty fond of the results he gets (most of the time).

Here are two of my own from New Orleans:

( Last edited by Jawbone54; Aug 22, 2008 at 01:34 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
This was the one I liked most of the the three you last posted. Something about the other two was just slightly off (and I can't place my finger on what, exactly), but this one is in my book.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 22, 2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
(I've returned to test the waters yet again)

Here are two of my own from New Orleans:

Sweet! the prodigal son returns! Get the fattened calf!

I really like your first one. GREAT composition and the frame you use looks nice. Colors are soooo deep.

The second one has excellent colors as well, but the chopping off of the tail is a little distracting. Perhaps composed with a little more empty space in front of the little guy to swim into, would help as well.

Seriously. Welcome back.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2008, 02:21 PM

Is the RADP supposed to be centered? It's throwing me off. Unless you've got it centered under the fish? If that's the case, I could possibly readjust my brain to accept it. Pleasing photos otherwise.

: )
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2008, 02:25 PM

but this one is in my book.
thanks dude.
ice

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Is the RADP supposed to be centered? It's throwing me off. Unless you've got it centered under the fish? If that's the case, I could possibly readjust my brain to accept it. Pleasing photos otherwise.

: )
Ewwwwwww...I've got to bust out the PS ruler.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 04:15 PM

Sweet! the prodigal son returns! Get the fattened calf!

I really like your first one. GREAT composition and the frame you use looks nice. Colors are soooo deep.
Thank ya.

The second one has excellent colors as well, but the chopping off of the tail is a little distracting. Perhaps composed with a little more empty space in front of the little guy to swim into, would help as well.
Yeah, you're right about that. There was one that was composed much better, but some distracting elements in the background that couldn't be removed made it a bit less pleasing to my eye. Couldn't catch the perfect shot of a beautiful little fish. Wish I could've done the little guy justice.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2008, 03:08 PM

Sys Bjerre

Yes? No?

(Click for big version + 66-picture set from the Copenhagen Pride Parade 2008, should you be interested)
( Last edited by Oisín; Aug 27, 2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Fixed link)

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 01:37 PM

I like the shot.

A lot of people would say the open space should have been on the right side having the subject looking into it, but I like open space in this one. The shadow is a bit distracting, as well as the head at the bottom of the shot.

The large version reveals a very sharp and crisp image.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2008, 03:43 PM

Good heavens—I hadn’t even seen that head there at the bottom! I’m wondering now if perhaps a crop that just cuts the head off would make the image as a whole too flat, or whether it would still work.

Which shadow is it you say is distracting? The parts of Sys that are in semi-darkness due to her own figure creating a shadow on itself (that was a terrible explanation), or the shadow/ray of light on the dark curtain in the background?

It was very bright out and I was in a good position to take well-exposed pictures in front of the stage at that angle, so it was fairly easy to get crisp, sharp images. Plus, for a singer, she didn’t jump around too much (which, no doubt, very few people dressed up in what she called a “giant cream pie” would).

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Good heavens—I hadn’t even seen that head there at the bottom! I’m wondering now if perhaps a crop that just cuts the head off would make the image as a whole too flat, or whether it would still work.

Which shadow is it you say is distracting? The parts of Sys that are in semi-darkness due to her own figure creating a shadow on itself (that was a terrible explanation), or the shadow/ray of light on the dark curtain in the background?

It was very bright out and I was in a good position to take well-exposed pictures in front of the stage at that angle, so it was fairly easy to get crisp, sharp images. Plus, for a singer, she didn’t jump around too much (which, no doubt, very few people dressed up in what she called a “giant cream pie” would).
I had to view the large sized image to be sure what it was. But it drew my eye because it was out of place. But it might look "fake" if it were PSed out. Might look too "clean".

I mean the ray of light on the wall(?) behind here.

Actually, the exposure is great for sunlight. The white is not blown out (too much), and there is detail in the shadows. I see in the EXIF data that the flash wasn't used. The 40D did a great job.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2008, 04:23 PM

The white was more blown out in the original, actually—I cranked it down quite a bit in Aperture. But yes, the 40D is serving me very well.

It’s interesting you think the light on the curtain (it was a big, black, heavy curtain to hide all the stuff behind the stage) is distracting; to me, it was what made the shot interesting and gave it some balance.

I don’t think I have your level of detail in my eye. I hadn’t noticed that there was anything at the bottom there at all. Even after looking at the image on this page, knowing there was supposed to be a head, I had to look very closely to see anything that looked like more than a slightly-different-coloured crease of the cream pie arrangement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules