Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > fusion 2.02 on macbook pro issues with Vista x64

fusion 2.02 on macbook pro issues with Vista x64
cbemjb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2009, 10:05 PM

First - let me say, I'm a very brand new Mac user and finally felt like dipping my toes in the mac world after seeing friends run virtual OS's.
I successfully installed VMWare fusion 2.02 and then installed Vista 64, Office, and my files. All was well. Last night, I am not sure what i did, but after rebooting computer, could no longer get my virtual machine to boot windows. Originally was receiving error that it could not locate my .vmdk file. After researching, I did several things (can't remember them all) including uninstalling and re-installing Fusion, deleted snapshots, repaired disks, etc. Now when attempting to boot to windows i'm getting an error that 2 virtual disks have the same UUID. I found some tips online about changing this, but they aren't very clear. I went to the shell to search for .vmx file - but it states permission denied. So i am stuck on how to change the UUID. Additionally, I only have 3 virtual disks (the one with the apps, one with files, and the last one was my attempt to copy the first one which i did not complete). But when I boot and it states that the two virtual disks are using the same UUID it references multiple virtual disks.
To be honest I am really not sure what to do. I'd be happy if i could just get to my data files on the virtual disk, back them up, and then i can start over.. but i can't see the virtual disks from Mac.
help!

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2009, 10:20 AM

You went to the shell to search? Try spotlight (click on the blue magnifying glass icon on the top right of your menubar) and type in the file extension. Then you can select show all results. If you see the file in the results, drag and drop it to where it should be and re-add it to VMWare.

I'm not at my Mac so my directions may not be 100% correct, but they should be close.

Forum Links
Forum Rules