Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fire Steve Mariucci!

Fire Steve Mariucci!
TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Jan 15, 2003, 12:07 AM

suhail
Senior User
Jan 15, 2003, 12:14 AM

Naah... They're doing just fine
Need to fire the Redskins coach

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jan 15, 2003, 12:15 AM

I'm not a T.Owens fan but I do not blame him for being upset because his coach quit on the whole team.
The 9'ers had excellent field position and two time outs and they sat on the ball to run the clock out.
I have not seen a coach give up on his team since Parcells did it N.E. vs Green Bay, superbowl.
Bad move Mooch.
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Jan 15, 2003, 12:16 AM

We are not doing just fine, even the wins we had this season looked like crap and should have been losses, even against crappy teams

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2003, 02:08 AM

No way. He's a great coach.

Did you honestly believe the 49'ers were going to win the Super Bowl this year?

ANY coach they had were not going to make a difference.Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, Knute Rockne, nobody would have taken them any further.

They were too banged up.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2003, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by mikithecrackhead:
I'm not a T.Owens fan but I do not blame him for being upset because his coach quit on the whole team.
The 9'ers had excellent field position and two time outs and they sat on the ball to run the clock out.
I have not seen a coach give up on his team since Parcells did it N.E. vs Green Bay, superbowl.
Bad move Mooch.
Yeah, I don't understand it. Its been like 3-4 days since the game, and I *still* don't understand why he gave up. The whole team looked pissed.

Yet, I don't think firing Mariucci is the answer. He's obviously a very good coach (anyone that can put up with Owens has to be patient). He's built a good team and a lot of the stuff that has happened to the Niners lately (good and bad - mostly good though) have been a directly result of him. This is his team, don't take it away from him because he lost to a Super Bowl contender.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 15, 2003, 02:16 AM

FIRE FIRE FIRE!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2003, 02:33 AM

I thought he was a good coach until this year. But I'm sorry, the 49ers (and I don't care what some east coast hack who never watches the team says) simply run the ball way too much. Too many drives fizzled out early this year, too many red zone possessions turned into [missed] field goals, etc and all because they tried to run way too much. When they went to the pass, they were successful (eg both Giants games, the Raiders game, the Cowboys game, etc...).... I really don't care what happens to Mariucci, but my confidence in him definitely decreased this year. Lets not even get into all the clock management issues...

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2003, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
I thought he was a good coach until this year. But I'm sorry, the 49ers (and I don't care what some east coast hack who never watches the team says) simply run the ball way too much. Too many drives fizzled out early this year, too many red zone possessions turned into [missed] field goals, etc and all because they tried to run way too much. When they went to the pass, they were successful (eg both Giants games, the Raiders game, the Cowboys game, etc...).... I really don't care what happens to Mariucci, but my confidence in him definitely decreased this year. Lets not even get into all the clock management issues...
At least you guys aren't stuck with the captain of awful clock management : Mike Martz. Be happy of that

Slaveway
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
No way. He's a great coach.

Did you honestly believe the 49'ers were going to win the Super Bowl this year?

ANY coach they had were not going to make a difference.Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, Knute Rockne, nobody would have taken them any further.

They were too banged up.
I'm supprised they even made it into the Playoffs. They lucked into some of those wins.
If the 49ers had not made the playoff he would of been FIRED!!!!!!.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2003, 01:01 PM

I hate Steve Mariucci. I don't know, just something about him. I've hated him since he took the nhelm of the 49'ers. They fire his sorry ass anytime.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2003, 02:54 PM

Well...he was "released" from the last year of his contract. I don't think the Niners will be as good next year.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2003, 02:57 PM

Firing/releasing coaches has become the in thing in the bay area lately. Mariucci was the longest tenured pro coach here afer Daryl Sutter got fired. Now I think the Warrior's coach is, which is kind of ironic.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2003, 04:50 PM

"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2003, 05:32 PM

Yep, He's been SHITCANNED.
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

Forum Links
Forum Rules