Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tipping. Where and when and how much?

Tipping. Where and when and how much? (Page 2)
Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 18, 2003, 05:19 PM

Minimum 15% (unless the food was terrible/cold or the wait staff was rude). Usually, I just round up to the next $10 increment, since my bill is usually $20something for myself or $40something for a date (then it's usually $60 total or so).

Average tips are probably about 25%-40%. I'm a good tipper, and an easy customer, since I know what it's like having high-maintenance tables
( Last edited by Steve; Feb 18, 2003 at 05:30 PM. )

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 05:22 PM

Tipping isn't done here, unless somebody genuinely impresses you with good service.

In fact, our all embracing state conveniently includes a 'service tax' in all services, so the tip is actually built-in on top of minimum wages. (Or something along those lines.)

The customer having to calculate sales taxes and tips on top of prices is just weird (and bad service), but it must be good for maths?

Anyway, here we'll have none of that - the price is the price.

J

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 06:02 PM

In the New York City area, 20% is fast becomming the standard. I almost always tip 25% or more, usually more. It's become my philosophy. Service people work hard, endure countless butt-heads, and generally get paid squat. I especially go overboard in diners where the bill might be $18 or so. 20% would be $3.60, but leaving a $5 dollar bill, a measely $1.40 more, has an impact. And you get remembered, which never hurts. It's just a nice way to thank somebody for taking care of you. Yeah, I know, it's their job, but I like to reward the good ones because they're becomming an endangered species. I look at my W-2 at year's end and I just can't justify getting cheap with some one who's working hard on my behalf. I do pretty well, so why not spread it around? None of the waiters I know are doing it for the adventure or for excercise. And it's a tough way to earn a living.

kOnshii
Feb 18, 2003, 06:52 PM

My sister did waitressing a few years back and she got paid about $15 bucks an hour and worked about 8 - 10 hours a day.

She never gets tipped, and it isn't very common, unless she serve's a foriegner.

Our money might only be like 59.5c US, but our price of living is also much less and all in all, the AU life is much easier than the US life.

namannik
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 07:19 PM

A friend and I tipped our friend who waited on us at Outback Steakhouse on Valentines Day 40%! ($20 tip for a $50 bill.) Anyway, I'm pissed because she didn't go out with us after work like she said she would, and she hasn't said a word about the huge tip.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by namannik:
A friend and I tipped our friend who waited on us at Outback Steakhouse on Valentines Day 40%! ($20 tip for a $50 bill.) Anyway, I'm pissed because she didn't go out with us after work like she said she would, and she hasn't said a word about the huge tip.
That wasn't very nice. Maybe she will come around, try asking her out again. Let us know if you have success?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:

You know what this is? Its the worlds smallest violin playing for just for the waitresses.

too bad no one else got it.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 10:30 PM

Reservoir Dogs rules!!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 10:32 PM

I am very sorry the government taxes their tips, thats ****ed up, that ain't my fault, it would appear that waitresses are one of the many groups the government ****s up the ass on a regular basis, show me a peice of paper that says the government shouldn't do that, put it to a vote i will vote for it. But, what i won't do is play ball, and its not college bullshit your giving me, i got two words, learn to ****n type, because if you are expecting me to help out with the rent your in for a big ****ing suppirse.

some people just don't know good culture

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 10:36 PM

Fortunately, I live in Australia, where - as others have mentioned - tipping doesn't happen. Instead, waiters and cab drivers are simply paid more; a far saner system, if you ask me. Many restaurants do have a tip jar thingy on the bar, in which I sometimes leave something if the food or service was extremely good; that tends to go to the staff as a whole, though, and the norm is for it to be mostly empty.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

talisker
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
Fortunately, I live in Australia, where - as others have mentioned - tipping doesn't happen. Instead, waiters and cab drivers are simply paid more; a far saner system, if you ask me. Many restaurants do have a tip jar thingy on the bar, in which I sometimes leave something if the food or service was extremely good; that tends to go to the staff as a whole, though, and the norm is for it to be mostly empty.
Too right, the no tipping thing in NZ is great as well. I was lucky enough to stay in the Hilton in Auckland recently (really expensive) and even there when I had some room service delivered the guy put it down, and immediately started moving away towards the door - not even the merest suggestion of a pause so that I could hand him a tip. Very impressive. Not having to tip taxi drivers is particularly good, especially as most of them don't know the way anyway.

I generally did used to tip in the UK, just around 10% on meals (or a bit more if they were really good). In America, because everyone expects it (or rather demands it) I often don't. I'm amazed that people in NYC, for example, actually ask for one. Now that's a sure fire way to not to get one in my book. It's quite funny watching their little faces getting all angry.

Cipher13
Feb 19, 2003, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by talisker:
Too right, the no tipping thing in NZ is great as well. I was lucky enough to stay in the Hilton in Auckland recently (really expensive) and even there when I had some room service delivered the guy put it down, and immediately started moving away towards the door - not even the merest suggestion of a pause so that I could hand him a tip. Very impressive. Not having to tip taxi drivers is particularly good, especially as most of them don't know the way anyway.

I generally did used to tip in the UK, just around 10% on meals (or a bit more if they were really good). In America, because everyone expects it (or rather demands it) I often don't. I'm amazed that people in NYC, for example, actually ask for one. Now that's a sure fire way to not to get one in my book. It's quite funny watching their little faces getting all angry.
Yeah, I love the Australian way.

If I was ever *asked* for a tip, I'd most certainly refuse.

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Feb 19, 2003, 02:07 AM

For exotic dancers I tip $1 if she is well groomed and pretty she gets another. If she is athleticly talented (she could work the pole like an olympian) she could get $5.
For table dances she gets the $20 flat rate, no tip.
Champagne room, $5 (these are usually the best dancers)
If she is ugly,( happened twice) The bartender gets her tip.
I try to follow this pattern but I always end up drunk and broke
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules