Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dropped PB

Dropped PB
tisoncam
Aug 1, 2003, 09:52 AM

I dropped my 12" PB today. Everything seems to work fine save for the dent in the upper left corner--near the power cord connection--managed to pound out the dent. I guess that I will have to live with this but my question is will this void my warranty if something else goes wrong or am I still covered?

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 10:30 AM

Its hard to tell could you possibly take a picture where the dent is. I don't think it will be a problem but would like to c a pic.

tisoncam  (op)
Aug 1, 2003, 10:35 AM

I can post a pic tonight--looking at it again--it really isn't as bad as I thought--there is now a gap between the plastic trimming and the Al above the ports and the AC connector is no longer flush at the bottom, but is still flush along the top and sides. The battery seems to be charging fine and all the ports I have checked still work well. I did have to glue the rubber foot back on but it seems to be holding now. I think that I am just pissed that I dropped it more than anything else. Again, will try to post a pic later tonight.

Thanks

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 10:39 AM

Apple probably realises these things arent going to be in perfect condition especially a 12 which is meant to be lugged around more easily than the rest of the line. This is almost an opinion becasue I would leave a 17 at home moving it as far as our patio hehe. Anyway I really dont think it will screw up your warranty as long as it didnt break anything else. Still I would like to c that pic. From what it sounds its not that bad. What did you drop it on like what floor surface.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 10:40 AM

Word from the experienced and almost wise:

Take it into an Apple Store if you have one nearby and have them physically examine it and document it in the computer that is cosmetically damaged but not internally damaged.

That way, if something happens to the components inside at a later date you've had this issue documented and there won't be bias against you when they see the damage.

This is someone speaking from personal experience from a company point of view.

Good luck.

tisoncam  (op)
Aug 1, 2003, 10:43 AM

I actually dropped it on a sidewalk, but it was in a Brenthaven Mobility1 case so I think that preventent more extensive damage. I'm not that close to an apple store right now but I will be going home next week and then I have a store within a 90 minute drive so I will make the trip then.

Thanks for all the help.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 11:01 AM

Good for you. You can say, "I brought it in just to make sure that it's running fine. Seems to be, but can you look it over?" Then make sure you grab a card from that store and on the back of it write down the name of the person who looks at it and keep it where it'll stay safe (in the Apple retail box is a good idea). Ask them to log notes under the serial number stating that it was examined and seems to be fine except for cosmetic damage.

Who cares about cosmetic damage anyway. I have friends who have Powerbooks with stickers, dings, dents, scraped paint, you name it. One of them is an extremely well-known Hollywood writer and director. He has three of them and they look like they've gone through two tours of war.

It gives 'em character is what I say!

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 11:11 AM

I agree with iWrite I would of told you the same........ YA...... hey its early in the morning hehe. For me at least.

Good thinking iWrite

tisoncam  (op)
Aug 1, 2003, 01:00 PM

Called apple and it turns out that I can actually get the Service provider at my school to check the damage. They said they can look at it Monday morning and that it will cost $33--not bad to make sure that I can keep my warranty--plus it saves me the long drive to the apple store.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

Guess I should go find some stickers

tisoncam  (op)
Aug 1, 2003, 07:57 PM

Well I just ran my hardware check cd and everything checked out--My gf doesn't think that anyone will even notice--I guess it could have been much worse--will try to post pics when I charege the batteries for my camera.

catzilla1228
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2003, 02:43 PM

As far as Apple's reaction to the damage if you file a warranty claim: it depends.
I bought a Ti550 in 11/01, the paint started peeling pretty quickly. In the next year I dropped it a couple of times and did some damage. The bottom cover was bent and the frame was cracked above the DVD. I took it to the Apple store where I purchased it and they sent it back to Apple for the paint repair, the agent noted that it was working fine.
I followed the case online and found it interesting, it was "reviewed" at two different times. They also noted that a ram clip was broken. I was waiting for a $$ phone call that never came. They replaced the plastics, the lower case top/bottom and the logic board. For free!

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2003, 10:37 PM

Well you all sound much luckier than me. I dropped my 12" PB several months ago (about 20" onto carpeted floor) and suffered a small dent on the left bottom corner (near the hardrive). The hardrive failed about 2 weeks ago and they wouldn't repair it under warranty. They wanted $972US to repair it. Not only that, but they could not assure me that it would be covered if another part failed, due to the initial "accidental" damage. What sucks even worse is that I bought the stupid Apple Protection Plan, which is now useless.

Not to make anyone worry, but the hardware tests worked fine up to the bitter end and my PB wouldn't boot with the TechTool CD.
( Last edited by Toyin; Aug 4, 2003 at 12:03 PM. )
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

tisoncam  (op)
Aug 4, 2003, 12:52 AM

Well I will know for sure tomorrow--I am taking it in to my local service center in the morning to get everything checked out so that if something does fail later they will cover it. Will let you know how it works out,

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Toyin:
Well you all sound much luckier than me. I dropped my 12" PB several months ago (about 20" onto carpeted floor) and suffered a small dent on the left bottom corner (near the hardrive). The hardrive failed about 2 weeks ago and they wouldn't repair it under warranty. They wanted $972US to repair it. Not only that, but they could not assure me that it would be covered if another part failed, due to the initial "accidental" damage. What sucks even worse is that I bought the stupid Apple Protection Plan, which is now useless.

Not to make anyone worry, but the hardware tests worked fine up to the bitter end and my PB wouldn't boot with the TechTool CD.
Man What a ripoff, considering you can buy an 80 gig ibm drive to replace that one for under $300. Please tell me you didn't send it off to have the hard drive replaced at that price. (not to rub salt in your wounds, but since the warrantyy is shot anyways, you might as well put your own in.)
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

tisoncam  (op)
Aug 5, 2003, 01:54 AM

I think that the key is that you have to get the hardware verified by an apple authorized service provider (although in the case of my school I don't know how good they are). I left my PB with them yesterday moringing at 8:30 and was told that it would be ready by the afternoon. When I called to check on the status I was told that the Hardware Check CD would not work. I knew that there was something wrong as I had run the test myself the day before. The tech informed me that he was trying to use a CD that said "Powerbook G4" which "is what you have." I had to tell him that the architecture of the 12" is different from the Ti PBs so that he would have to use the 12" sepcific disc. He said that he didn't have one so now they are using my disc to check my PB and they are going to bill me for it!!! How ridiculous!!!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 06:51 AM

Safeware,com is great!!!!!!

I have used them for over 4 years on all my PBs. One claim paid for all the policies. I had one stolen ... one dropped down steps.... one modem struck by lightning surge?

They have been great! They will replace unit if it can't be repaired!

I wouldn't leave home without it!!!!!!

mrmister
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 07:40 AM

" He said that he didn't have one so now they are using my disc to check my PB and they are going to bill me for it!!! How ridiculous!!!"

That's an easy one--refuse to pay.

tisoncam  (op)
Aug 5, 2003, 11:26 AM

Just picked up my PB--everything checked out and it was returned to me with two surprises--a scratch on the battery and a missing foot. They said they would replace the foot but refuse to do anything about the batter because "they didn't check for scratches before so it could have been there when you brought it in."

I called apple and registered a complaint--guess we will have to see how this plays out. Too bad I have to continue to give them business as they are the only apple service provider on campus.

Forum Links
Forum Rules