Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Howard Dean WHOOOOO

Howard Dean WHOOOOO
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2004, 09:19 PM

Not only are we going to New Hampshire, Tom Harkin, we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma, Arizona, and North Dakota, and New Mexico. And we're going to California and Texas and New York. And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan! And then we're going to Washington, D.C., to take back the White House! Yes!

dude you're scaring me...think i will vote Kerry

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Lerkfish
Jan 23, 2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by nredman:
Not only are we going to New Hampshire, Tom Harkin, we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma, Arizona, and North Dakota, and New Mexico. And we're going to California and Texas and New York. And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan! And then we're going to Washington, D.C., to take back the White House! Yes!

dude you're scaring me...think i will vote Kerry
FWIW, he's a former football player, this is the equivalent of a locker room pep talk. Why the right wingers choose that to bludgeon him with proves they have no better arguments.

schlumpf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 10:06 AM

Kerry has the charisma of a toaster. Give him a cloak and a scythe and you have the grim reaper. Plus, he lacks the elusive "likability" factor which seems to be so important for success in the world of 20 second news clips and even shorter attention spans.

Kerry suffers from a touch of Gore syndrome. The press will probably accuse him of being to "cerebral" and using "Washingtonspeak", just like they did with Gore.

reg
schlumpf

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 10:12 AM

When Gore was running for president he was said being too zombie-like, now Dean shows that he has some life in him and the rightwing makes fun of that.

Do they really want all candidates to be absolutely neutral in every aspect?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

kindbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 10:29 AM

The 'rightwing' makes fun of him?

Dude, the entire world makes fun of him.
the hillbilly threat is real, y'all.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by kindbud:

Is this something like when Icelandic artist are world-famous on Iceland?

Are you talking about the US or the whole world?

Do you know the difference?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

schlumpf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 10:46 AM

It's just sad that so much seems to ride on "electability". Political discourse should be focused on issues rather than image. And the fact that that "image" is such a distortion of reality is what I find worrying.

The press turned Bush's obvious stupidity and lack of knowledge into "likability", ("Hey, this guy is one of us!") while punishing Gore for actually having some actual knowledge and calling him "cerebral".

A REAL, critical free press would have CRUCIFIED Bush for his career history and obviously lacking mental faculties. The fact that the press handled him so kindly (and still does), is an absolute proof of the rightwing bias of the media conglomerates.

Reg.
Schlumpf

p.s. hehe....gaman a� sj� a� �slendingar eru sterkir h�rna!

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 10:53 AM

why are the candidates not attacking the front runner (kerry) with the same fury as they did to dean? All the candidates are weak and spineless except 4 sharpton & dean IMHO
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by schlumpf:
p.s. hehe....gaman a� sj� a� �slendingar eru sterkir h�rna!

Vi� erum nokkrir h�rna, bara mismunandi miki�. Reykv�kingur?

schlumpf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 11:00 AM

�g er Nor�fir�ingur

B� reyndar � Reykjav�k (� bili a.m.k.)

kv
Schlumpf

schlumpf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 11:17 AM

Sharpton has not received much media attention to my knowledge. Does skin colour have anything to do with it? I guess we won't see an African American president until Oprah decides to run

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
FWIW, he's a former football player, this is the equivalent of a locker room pep talk. Why the right wingers choose that to bludgeon him with proves they have no better arguments.
Football player? He hasn't played a lick of football in 30 years. As for the "pep talk", it took a good 9 hours for the Dean campaign to decide to position the episode as such.

It's a lot more than the "right wingers" who were disturbed by Dean's freak-out. Check out the Democratic primary polls in New Hampshire and nationwide for proof. If it were just the "right wingers", Dean's campaign wouldn't suffer a bit. He wouldn't be grabbing his wife and dragging her as a prop (which he said he'd never do) to Diane Sawyer, and he wouldn't have been so lame in last night's debate if it were only the "right wingers".

schlumpf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 11:39 AM

Just a thought, but can we even talk about "right wing/left wing" in the context of American politics?

Someone once said that the difference between Republicans and Democrats was that Republicans say they are going to screw you, and then screw you, while Democrats say they love you, and then screw you.

My question is: Is there any real choice in American politics?

Food for thought: If Kerry ends up as the Democratic candidate, there will be two "Scull and Bone-ers" (snikker) running for the most powerful office in the world. Still think you have choices? eh?

Lerkfish
Jan 23, 2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by schlumpf:
Just a thought, but can we even talk about "right wing/left wing" in the context of American politics?

Someone once said that the difference between Republicans and Democrats was that Republicans say they are going to screw you, and then screw you, while Democrats say they love you, and then screw you.

My question is: Is there any real choice in American politics?

Food for thought: If Kerry ends up as the Democratic candidate, there will be two "Scull and Bone-ers" (snikker) running for the most powerful office in the world. Still think you have choices? eh?
unfortunately, our choices are usually limited.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by kindbud:

You live in a very small world.

But then, we all knew that.

Lerkfish
Jan 23, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Football player? He hasn't played a lick of football in 30 years. As for the "pep talk", it took a good 9 hours for the Dean campaign to decide to position the episode as such.

It's a lot more than the "right wingers" who were disturbed by Dean's freak-out. Check out the Democratic primary polls in New Hampshire and nationwide for proof. If it were just the "right wingers", Dean's campaign wouldn't suffer a bit. He wouldn't be grabbing his wife and dragging her as a prop (which he said he'd never do) to Diane Sawyer, and he wouldn't have been so lame in last night's debate if it were only the "right wingers".
this seems an incredibly important issue for you to discredit Dean....feeling a little worried, are we?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
this seems an incredibly important issue for you to discredit Dean....feeling a little worried, are we?
Not at all. If he wins the big one, he wins. It's not like I'm going to flee the country or start up some "Dean is Hitler" website.

As for the discrediting - if you hadn't attempted to misportray the episode, I wouldn't have chimed in.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 11:56 AM

The best way to become president is to get one of those square suits, part your hair from the side, smile like a chimpanzee, kiss babies, use words like 'crusade', 'evil' and 'Our Lord' a lot and don't say anything when a crook's bodyguard beats you up...blame it on the pretzel instead.

Who believes there will ever be a president who dresses how he/she wants, combs his hair how he/she wants, whose deeds apply to all people, both rich and poor and in other countries, and is...shock...an rational atheist and secular humanist?

Lerkfish
Jan 23, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Not at all. If he wins the big one, he wins. It's not like I'm going to flee the country or start up some "Dean is Hitler" website.

As for the discrediting - if you hadn't attempted to misportray the episode, I wouldn't have chimed in.
oh yes, evil little person am I.
Trying to say its not a big deal...what a misportrayal!
I'm such a spin doctor...think Rove has a position for me?

Forum Links
Forum Rules