Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > No Radiohead in itunes

No Radiohead in itunes
mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 11:27 AM

How come? I just purchased a new g4 ibook, it's great, itunes rocks but radiohead is not available any other artists blacklisted? will they become available soon?
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by mikithecrackhead:
How come? I just purchased a new g4 ibook, it's great, itunes rocks but radiohead is not available any other artists blacklisted? will they become available soon?
I think it's entirely up to the artist whether they want to be listed on the iTMS or not. I know I'd like RHCP to have their albums listed on there... I guess it could change (I hope).

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 12:15 PM

I believe it's Radiohead's record label that don't want them on iTMS, as on their official website Thom Yorke mentioned iTunes as the next big thing.

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2004, 03:17 PM

iTunes is filled with some SERIOUS holes in it's library. I understand when it's the fault of the record label, but what's with all the incomplete albums, or "clean" versions only. Since when did Apple become the PMRC?

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by fat mac moron:
I think it's entirely up to the artist whether they want to be listed on the iTMS or not. I know I'd like RHCP to have their albums listed on there... I guess it could change (I hope).
RHCP were one of the first bands to denounce iTunes bc it "took away froman album" meaning you could download one or two songs, but that takes away from their entire effort as an album...Greenday also followed w/ the same statement...

as of now both of them are on iTunes music store as we speak.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by mikithecrackhead:
any other artists blacklisted?
It's not just the bad artists. Even legends aren't included in the Music Store, such as Smashing Pumpkins and Led Zeppelin (but some band called 'Dread Zeppelin' is?).

However, since we see artists such as Outkast topping the charts, you know that the Music Store's audience has quite of a different taste than I do.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 03:53 PM

Radiohead used to be there.. but not anymore.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Radiohead used to be there.. but not anymore.
I've never seen them there, from the day the store opened. When was this?

Edit: Actually, you and calamar1 are right. I do remember OK Computer being on there very briefly.

Still, I did purchase a few of Christopher O'Riley's cover songs. Good stuff.
( Last edited by MindFad; Jan 23, 2004 at 05:35 PM. )

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 04:57 PM

IIRC, 'OK Computer' was there on the day the store opened, but the band was apparently one of those cited as believing it detracts from the enjoyment of album-designed music. Heard that from a couple places, including the last issue of Rolling Stone.

As an aside, does anybody else read that magazine?

I found it hilarious that in the same issue that they announce their partnership with Real's music service, they do a 180 on their previous opinions of the iPod and iTunes (they previously had several mentions of the iPod per issue), and start badmouthing them. Ha.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2004, 05:29 PM

I hate to say this, but:

Bands that create solid albums shouldn't care, as long as people are purchasing their songs.

One hit wonders or bands that purposefully place only a few good songs on an album will hate the iTMS.

Case and Point:
Pearl Jam: Ten

In my opinion, one of the most complete CDs ever. They could have broken that album up in to a few CDs. (I'm guessing 3). Place three of the best ones on there, and fill the rest with crap.

But they didn't.

Funny thing is... that album isn't online...

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 05:36 PM

Rolling Stone is now badmouthing the iTunes Music Store? After they made a deal with Real? Say it ain't so...

Radiohead is definitely not blacklisted, though. There's no blacklist on the store - Apple wants as many artists as possible on the store, that's how they make more sales! Radiohead has decided not to, I believe like RHCP (Red Hot Chili Peppers), because it "detracts from the album experience." I'm sorry, but most semi-intelligent music fans can see through that statement. Filler sucks.

Maybe we'll see lots of bad covers of Radiohead songs showing up on P2P networks soon, care of Garage Band

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
as of now both of them are on iTunes music store as we speak. [/B]
Whoa!

It's a "Greatest Hits" album.

Baaahahahahaha.

(Polly Esther-influenced laugh, go Suck)

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jan 23, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
It's not just the bad artists. Even legends aren't included in the Music Store, such as Smashing Pumpkins and Led Zeppelin (but some band called 'Dread Zeppelin' is?).

However, since we see artists such as Outkast topping the charts, you know that the Music Store's audience has quite of a different taste than I do.
If you knew ANYTHING about the Bay Area music scene, you'd know all about Dread Zeppelin.

A fine, fine, band.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 06:50 PM

I'm a huge Radiohead fan, but I've already bought all the CDs. Even if they were available on the iTMS I wouldn't buy them because one of the best parts of buying their music is the artwork that comes with it.
It would be awesome if Radiohead put their B-sides or rare songs on the iTMS, except I already have them all

mikithecrackhead  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 07:44 PM

I have all the Radiohead albums too. I love the artwork. It would be coolif iTunes made rare, live recordings available but the recording industry would not like that.
eMusic.com does not carry radiohead too.
Has anyone had any experiences with this source? (eMusic)
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
Radiohead is definitely not blacklisted, though. There's no blacklist on the store - Apple wants as many artists as possible on the store, that's how they make more sales! Radiohead has decided not to, I believe like RHCP (Red Hot Chili Peppers), because it "detracts from the album experience." I'm sorry, but most semi-intelligent music fans can see through that statement. Filler sucks.
This is correct. But to clarify, it's not the actual bands that have the authority to put their albums on iTMS. It's the record labels that own the rights to those albums. The band members of Radiohead could be 100% in favor of iTMS, but if their label says no, then they are SOL (and so are we). Sometimes, the band members are in agreement with the labels (see Metallica).

So don't blame the band, blame the record labels. They are also behind the incomplete albums, the 'only individual download' albums, etc. Bands may have some influence over their record labels, but they don't get the final say.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 09:11 PM

I believed that Wal-Mart or other music stores do carry Radiohead.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
I believed that Wal-Mart or other music stores do carry Radiohead.
Wal-Mart music service carries it, I think a couple albums. In regards to companies not liking the idea of selling rare/unreleased material, I think it would be good since, in the case of rare live songs, they would be making money off of them rather than none.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I hate to say this, but:

Bands that create solid albums shouldn't care, as long as people are purchasing their songs.

One hit wonders or bands that purposefully place only a few good songs on an album will hate the iTMS.

Case and Point:
Pearl Jam: Ten
It's "Case IN Point," dammit, "Case IN Point."

Rant over, carry on.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

jfinete
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2004, 05:29 PM

In the case of partial albums, if a particular song has a different songwriter from the rest of the album, or a sample from another song, or features a guest performer, then the song requires an additional licensing agreement with those parties. They may actually be okay with online distribution, but it takes additional time to negotiate it.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 01:33 PM

there is alot of music on the itunes music store that i'd like to download that they do not have "yet"...i'd like to see linkin park on there even though i already have their albums. i just send apple a bunch of requests

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
i'd like to see linkin park on there
Apple is trying to do you a favor with that one.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Forum Links
Forum Rules