Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Flat panel iMac scores 2 more converts

Flat panel iMac scores 2 more converts
hurricanej
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2002, 06:57 PM

Background: Vic20 user from way back when. MCSE since NT3.x (back when everyone else was running Novell.) Microsoft user for 15 years or so.

My wife and I ordered our very first Mac last night - iMac G4 DVD-R.

I'm voting with my feet and my wallet - count 2 more for Apple. Here's to increasing market share!

-hj

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2002, 07:09 PM

Welcome aboard! I was a Vic20 user myself back in the day.

It's unfortunate that because of the overwhelming success of the new iMac you have to wait a while for it to arrive. Still, you've made a wise choice. When I get my unit (I hope soon), I'm taking it to my brothers to demo for several people. I have at least two friends interested in getting one but they want to see it and use it before hand.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2002, 07:48 PM

Yes, welcome. Post early and often.

I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

iMan
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2002, 12:32 AM

Congrats Man!

Welcome to the mac family and MacNN.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

hurricanej  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2002, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by ckohler:
<STRONG>It's unfortunate that because of the overwhelming success of the new iMac you have to wait a while for it to arrive.</STRONG>
Aww well. Good things come to those who wait and all that. Seriously, though, I knew I'd have to wait 3-5 weeks when I ordered, and I knew of the heavy demand before I purchased. If I have to wait more than my 3-5 weeks, that's another story....

<STRONG>Still, you've made a wise choice.</STRONG>

Hope so. I haven't been this excited about a computer in 7 years. I've been watching the Apple line since the introduction of the Cube and OSX. The flat-panel G4 iMac finally pushed me over the edge.

-hj

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2002, 08:33 AM

I think these posts are bogus.

And even if they are true, you have to wonder: how many Mac users convert to Wintel for every PC user we convert to Mac?

Aren't I a 'pisser'* ?

* i guess that's british for 'spoil sport'.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2002, 08:51 AM

I have 2 more succesful converts on my side.

My brother, who's been a PC user almost as long as I was, and a friend of mine, who I switched over back when I was a pc nazi (he is coming back to an imac)

Can't wait to check out that 700mhz imac he'll be getting in 3-5 weeks. WOOHOO!!!!

(javorge)
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

hurricanej  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2002, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by NeoMac:
<STRONG>I think these posts are bogus.</STRONG>
Well.... scratching head.... there's simply no way I can prove my posts aren't "bogus." I may wind up being disappointed, but I really am a Wintel person trying out a Mac. I won't be getting rid of my x86 stuff (though I halfway considered selling my x86 boxes when I saw the final total at the Apple store).

Besides, what would I gain by posting? I'm not trying to convince other people to go Mac. I'm just enthusiastic about my opportunity to play with PowerPC and OSX.

And even if they are true, you have to wonder: how many Mac users convert to Wintel for every PC user we convert to Mac?
Wonder how many people like to play with both? Some people like to work on motorcycles, cars, and trucks. They all pretty much do the same thing... but each excels at specific ways of doing those things. Kinda like Macs, Windows, and unix.

-hj

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2002, 12:12 AM

I think Apple's new products may be bringing more to "our side". I was at Comp USA Sunday and went to the "Mac Store". The last time I was there it was just about empty and the displays were crappy. This time they had about 10 Macs set up, iMacs, PowerMacs everything but the new iMac. They even had the new (bigger iBook) out. There was (I guess) and Apple employee there, he was wearing a black Apple tee shirt he always had 2-4 people arouind him asking questions. I overheard someone asking how the speed compared to Windows pc's (different MHZ speeds). Maybe just maybe people are finally considering the Mac. In fact a Comp USA employee was buying a PowerMac when i was there.

As a side note I played with a dual 800 PowerMac G4. It is one sweet machine. If I only had the money!

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Feb 5, 2002, 12:51 AM

I have both a Mac (actually 3 macs) and a 667 PIII PC that I used to play games on. The wife now uses it for her Pampered Chef "WIndows Only" software and I don't use the PC at all anymore although it's available for things like flashing firmwares for IDE devices and GeForce3 video cards.

I converted to 100% mac about 1 year ago. I miss the games...
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

marusin
Senior User
Feb 5, 2002, 01:08 AM

I have a friend who I'd classify as a "typical home user" (Internet and Quicken) who is "this close" (my fingers are squashed together) at getting a new G4 iMac and iPod...

Reasons? He wants an iPod after using mine and another friend's and is interested in burning his own DVDs... I think he's about ready to tumble over the edge when he gets his taxes back..

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2002, 03:51 AM

Congratz on your decision to try something different! You won't regrest, it's so much fun.

I went to a Futureshop store the other day and they *finally* got their copies of the OS X 10.1 free upgrade. They wouldn't give me one claiming they only had 3 and they could only include them with the purchase of an iMac. Damn. I wanted the cardboard sleeve packaging thing, the Apple sent version was just a bunch of CDs.

db

ps:Vic20, I had one of those. Remember :

POKE 36879,x (x is screen border color)

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: darcybaston ]
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Forum Links
Forum Rules