Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > issues raised by permissions repair

issues raised by permissions repair
seaj11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 09:32 PM

This is just a quick question. I hope this is the correct forum for it.

Whenever I do permissions repair, folders such as the root folder, Applications folder, and some folders in my Documents folder have their permissions changed so that I can't modify them. I can change them easily, but I'm wondering why that happens. Could anybody explain that to me in a nutshell? Nothing I've read about Mac OS X has answered my question. Thanks.
15-inch 2002 iMac G4/800MHz; Mac OS X 10.4.10

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2005, 09:39 PM

Because that's what permissions repair does. It gives certain folders a predefined set of permissions.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

seaj11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Because that's what permissions repair does. It gives certain folders a predefined set of permissions.
I should have been clearer. Why would such folders be changed so that I can't modify them? Why only some of the subfolders which I created? Is it supposed to put the system in an optimum state? If so, why would it be inconsistent? It seems strange to me.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 12:20 PM

Is your user an admin?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

seaj11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by [APi]TheMan
Is your user an admin?
Yes.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by seaj11
Yes.
Ok good. I wouldn't pay too much information to permissions repair, just set your /Applications to something like this:
Code:
[theman@thefro: ~]$ ls -ld /Applications drwxrwxr-x 106 root admin 3604 Jan 12 19:39 /Applications
That'll allow you to edit the contents of the Applications folder (copy stuff in/out of it).

Permissions repair repairs permissions on files/folders that have been installed via Apple's Installer.app via a .pkg. When packages are installed there is a "receipt" left in /Library/Receipts that has information about the permissions the files belonging to that package were installed with. Permissions repair simply checks your files against those (and only those).

I'm not sure why you have other folders like Documents that are being changed...
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

seaj11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by [APi]TheMan
Ok good. I wouldn't pay too much information to permissions repair, just set your /Applications to something like this:
Code:
[theman@thefro: ~]$ ls -ld /Applications drwxrwxr-x 106 root admin 3604 Jan 12 19:39 /Applications
That'll allow you to edit the contents of the Applications folder (copy stuff in/out of it).

Permissions repair repairs permissions on files/folders that have been installed via Apple's Installer.app via a .pkg. When packages are installed there is a "receipt" left in /Library/Receipts that has information about the permissions the files belonging to that package were installed with. Permissions repair simply checks your files against those (and only those).

I'm not sure why you have other folders like Documents that are being changed...
Well, I just change the permissions in the Finder. Thanks for explainsing how permissions repair work. It's still a mystery why those other folders are changing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules