Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Midrange Digital-8 Camcorders..

Midrange Digital-8 Camcorders..
Rivak
Forum Regular
May 18, 2000, 11:20 PM

So what's the real midrange Digital-8 camcorder on the market? I go to the Sony page and I see the DCR-TRV320, I go to Amazon.com and the DCR-TRV310 seems to be the only midrange... (it gets great reviews btw)

Is it safe to assume that the DCR-TRV320 is just the next step up and hasn't made it to Amazon yet? Or am I really missing something here..?

I�ve heard a lot of good things about the DCR-TRV310, and I really can�t afford to go fully digital so this seems to be a good choice.. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

sblunden
May 20, 2000, 10:13 PM

i use a TRV310 and am Happy with it. The quality is better than analog camcorders. There are some nice freatures on the camera.
If my mine serves me correctly, i couldn't use device control with FCP, but works fine with iMovie which is more at the camcorders level.
I dont know anything about the TRV320, but the 310 is a nice camera.

------------------
- s p e n c e r
- s p e n c e r

FCP-D8 user
May 21, 2000, 01:11 PM

FCP device control works fine with the DCR-TRV310, just like with a Sony miniDV camcorder.

The most noticable difference between operation of the miniDV and Digital8 camcorders is that the D8 tape drive is slower than the miniDV drive.

gamis
May 21, 2000, 01:40 PM

I used the Sony TRV120 in tandem with a Song TRV6(miniDV). The color on the Digital8 camera was a little cold and it often didn't handle as well in low light.

Cheap though. :-)

gamis
May 21, 2000, 01:43 PM

It's also good to note that Digital8 tapes are quite cheaper and sometimes easier to find.

[This message has been edited by gamis (edited 05-21-2000).]

zrx
May 23, 2000, 10:16 AM

The Trv-320 is a new model in the same class of the Trv-310, which is the last year midrange model. The 320 has better zoom, color viewfinder, memory stick and some other improvements - probably, but I'm not sure, it has even the Lp recording mode. By the way, I own a Trv-310 and I'm quite happy with the quality of the recording and the ergonomics of the D8 camcorder.
Image quality is the same of a similarly equipped Dv camcorder, but tapes are much cheaper...

bizzare
May 25, 2000, 05:05 AM

Just a couple of notes:

1. Digital 8 tapes are Hi8 tapes. Just make sure you check the time on the tape and cut it by half (D8 records 2x as fast as 8mm or Hi8).

2. Divice control in FCP should work for your TRV-320 if you set it to either Firewire (Basic) or just Firewire.

------------------
-Bizzare

Specs:
PowerBook (Firewire)
500 mHz
256 MB RAM
18 GB HD
AirPort
OS 9.0.4

Rivak  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2000, 09:30 AM

Well I just picked up my DCR-TRV520 for $999 So far it's great. great LCD, great picture effects (yes I actually use those) great nightshot (yes I use that too) and zero problems getting video from it into my G3. I�ll give a more in depth review after I play around with it some more (and get some sleep).

-Rivak

lpolzin
Jun 7, 2000, 07:49 PM

I have been using a Sony TRV103 for the past 18 months and am very happy. I paid $750 at Costco, but I see it elsewhere for $800-900.

It uses Digital 8 tapes, so it plays my old Hi8 videos. Works great with iMovie on my BW G3/300. The LCD is a little small, but perfect for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules