Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How do you save QT files?

How do you save QT files?
will ed
Jul 1, 2000, 08:50 AM

Excuse me for being stupid, but I can't find out how to save Quicktime files which show up on my browser as simple QT files on my hard disk. I can save them as IE files of course, but that's inconvenient. Is there a way to convert these files to QT or save directly to QT?

Thanks,

Will

sblunden
Jul 1, 2000, 11:18 AM

As far as I know you have to have Quicktime Pro to save movies.
- s p e n c e r

captdeemo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2000, 06:33 PM

It depends on the file IE the lord of the rings you can't save in the broswer but it is hidden in your temporary items folder as Qtplugintemp or qttempplugin (something like that) and you can drag it out of sherlock onto your desktop and it will open in quicktime , also check where your cache is saved , you can grab the files out of your cache also.

D G

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2000, 07:40 PM

Are they simply QT movies that open up in IE when double-clicked on? If so, try using ResEdit to change their creator code to TVOD (QuickTime Player). To do that:
File --> Get File/folder info --> select the downloaded file --> edit the "creator" box to display TVOD.
Be happy.

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2000, 06:50 PM

If you know the size of the file you can trawl through your cache to find it, as it won't have a recognisable name. Just drag it out of the cache and rename it whatever you like, it should still actually be a QT file so you shouldn't have to CreatorChanger it. (Although CreatorChanger is a really useful utility).

Also, clicking the bottom right corner of the player window within IE or whatever should bring up a list of save options, which may be greyed out if the original file was save disabled, (But you can still cache-and-grab it as above!!!) and just save as QT Movie.

If the movie has no controller strip at the bottom, you'll have nothing to click on of course. Duh! (That CAN be rectified by changing controller=false to controller=true in the html and making the image size 16 pixels taller but that's a hell of a way to run a business!!!!)

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2000, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by sblunden:
As far as I know you have to have Quicktime Pro to save movies.
You have to have the PRO version to "EXPORT" movies but playing within a browser is controlled by the plugin, hence the different controller strip etc., and is the same for either version. I would certainly heartily recommend registering for QT4Pro though, it is immmensely powerful. With patience you can do quite a lot of editing and effect stuff without ever having to buy Premier or Strata or whatever. Hell, Quicktime is the engine that powers those programs anyway!!!!

fire2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2000, 01:18 AM

What i do is go in and look at the source code for the page, copy the address of the movie itself and paste it into the address bar, once it loads just do a save as from the file menu and choose to save as source just drag and drop onto quicktime player.
Trevor

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2000, 05:24 PM

Unfortunately, that technique won't work with the Lord Of The Rings trailer because of the way they use the flash enabled poster/splash frame thingy. There's only one visible URL that doesn't link directly to any of the source QT streams. For people on dial-up, the LOTR site is TERRIBLE, beautiful but terrible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules