Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 (PCI Graphics) and Studio Display

G4 (PCI Graphics) and Studio Display
maceye
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2000, 08:15 PM

Is there any way to get a new graphite 15" Studio Display w/ the DVI connector hooked up to a G4 with PCI graphics? I really want to buy the Apple display becuase of its unique stand and power button feature (you can turn on the monitor and have the whole system turn on too!)

Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2000, 08:21 PM

My G4 500mhz has a Ati card with a double connector. There is a DB-15 and a Digtal connector the old G4 PCI does'nt have this?? You could by the upgrade ATI Card kit for APPLE for $99 or less I think the Newer ATI 120 pro has both. At least I think it is called a 128 pro
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

maceye  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2000, 08:33 PM

The ATI upgrade kit from Apple requires a G4 with AGP - so I can't use it. Any more suggestions?

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2000, 10:18 PM

Mac Voodoo 5 5500 PCI.
'nuff said.

MacOS761
Senior User
Jun 12, 2000, 09:27 AM

Just checking... my new G4 will have a DVI connector on the graphics card even though I didn't order the Flat Studio Display with the CPU, right? I've never heard of this $99 graphics card update, and I hope I won't have to spend more money. Someone make me happy...
BTW, it's coming on Wed. now.
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Bjornstrom
Jun 12, 2000, 12:11 PM

If you buy a ATI Xclaim 3D card with PCI connector for about $99, your problem will be solved. This card has a DVI connector!

reader50
Administrator
Jun 12, 2000, 12:20 PM

Here is a general discussion of flat panel connections on Macs.

MacOs761, be happy. The G4 without APG (Yikes motherboard) was discontinued almost 6 months ago. Every G4 since at least February (when I got mine) has the Rage 128 Pro with both SVGA & DVI outputs.

CJFlynn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2000, 01:06 PM

Both outputs. But are they simultaneous?
C J

reader50
Administrator
Jun 12, 2000, 01:31 PM

On the Rage 128 Pro, you get both outputs, but not at the same time. If you plug into both, you will get just the DVI. Haven't actually tried this, the info comes from the card's documentation.

maceye  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2000, 05:33 PM

How much of a difference is there between the Voodoo 5 and ATI Xclaim 3D in terms of non-gaming use (Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, etc)?

chipper_aardvark
Jun 12, 2000, 07:20 PM

Anyone here hooked the mouse and keyboard into the back of the 15"...in each usb port(so no ports available in the back). and tried to shut down there machine??????

I have tried it on two machines and they restart after 30 sec anyone else experiencing this????

chipper regards
The Happy Aardvark

sblunden
Jun 12, 2000, 09:11 PM

I haven't tried plugging in the mouse seperate, I'll try it tomorrow and post what happens

I have the keyboard plugged into the display and the mouse plugged into the keyboard and it shutsdown fine.
- s p e n c e r

sblunden
Jun 15, 2000, 09:27 AM

yeah my G4 restarts by itself when the mouse and the Keyboard are plugged into the Flat panel display.
I don't understand why.
- s p e n c e r

theMacDude
Jun 15, 2000, 09:45 AM

I went to the 3dfx site, but there doesn't seem to be a ship date for the PCI VooDoo 5500. Does anyone know when it will ship?
-jjh
Did you know that this would happen?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2000, 04:11 PM

The Voodoo 5 5500 for Mac isn't in production right now. Due to delays with the PC version, the Mac version will probably be out in August.

------------------
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

cpu101
Jun 21, 2000, 03:20 PM

Hey I got a flat panel why dont you just buy my monitor Ill even throw in the card.

Its not a apple but a much better. The 1600sw with 16 megs of ram 2d/3d/grahics card from formac. It kicks ass and I just bought it. Will considor selling for around 1600. paid 3000 for it visit formac.com for details

Forum Links
Forum Rules