Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple takes out print ads for 'Designed by Apple' campaign

Apple takes out print ads for 'Designed by Apple' campaign
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 25, 2013, 12:12 PM

Apple is starting to run prints ads as part of its Designed by Apple in California marketing campaign. The company has taken out a two-page ad (below) in prominent Canadian newspaper the Toronto Star, using text echoing a TV ad that premiered earlier this month at WWDC 2013. Both spots are focused on corporate branding rather than selling any specific Apple product.

The campaign is reportedly being handled by long-time partner TBWAChiatDay. Sources on the matter claim that Apple's product-focused ads are no longer having the effect they once did, as the company is now facing off against products which sometimes have equal or better feature sets at lower prices. The new ads are expected to push the message that Apple products can help simplify a person's life.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM. )

prathibhanu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2013, 12:30 PM

Nothing could beat the super bowl ad that Jobs did way back.

carloblackmore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2013, 01:57 PM

This is a much needed attempt by Apple to bring the best parts of Steve Jobs' reality distortion field into the market. Without him, Apple probably realizes they are sorely lacking some of the spiritual heft his mere presence endowed them with. The blurry pace of technology and competitors is too much for any company to rise above on merit alone.

Without Steve, I'm sure Apple has lost some of that gravity that would bend events toward them and give them an advantage in boardrooms and negotiations. When I read these ads, I get the sense Apple is saying "Stop for a second, slow down, take a deep breath and appreciate the gift that we are to you."

airmanchairman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2013, 02:08 PM

Excellent observation, carloblackmore, and vividly worded to boot: spiritual heft as the endowment of his mere presence, and a gravitas that bends events Apple-ward in boardrooms...

If there was ever a succinct description or definition of the RDF, you've just nailed it, sir, and how...

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2013, 03:11 PM

These ads would have more impact if they'd left out "in California." On just about every measure--unemployment, quality of schools, business climate, living costs, and infrastructure—the state ranks near the bottom. It's lost the cool it once had.

Naming the next version of OS X Mavericks is even more chauvinistic. Even though I live on the West Coast, it'd never heard of the place. It's mystique doesn't extend much beyond California surfers.

Imagine the Finland-based Nokia naming a new phone the "Lutefisk," and you get the point. Or the Pacific NW-based Microsoft naming a new version of Windows "Geoduck." In case you're wondering the Geoduck isn't a duck. It's a large clam, much like Mavericks are skinny, wandering, motherless cows.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2013, 03:31 PM

For what it's worth, I don't live in the US, I don't even surf, and I HAD heard of Mavericks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post
This is a much needed attempt by Apple to bring the best parts of Steve Jobs' reality distortion field into the market. Without him, Apple probably realizes they are sorely lacking some of the spiritual heft his mere presence endowed them with. The blurry pace of technology and competitors is too much for any company to rise above on merit alone.

Without Steve, I'm sure Apple has lost some of that gravity that would bend events toward them and give them an advantage in boardrooms and negotiations. When I read these ads, I get the sense Apple is saying "Stop for a second, slow down, take a deep breath and appreciate the gift that we are to you."
This ad, just like the "crazy ones" ad, is aimed inwards, and is intended to give Apple a clear identity, both externally and internally, but most importantly to the company's employees.

Their appearance at WWDC was strongly aligned along that goal: "can't innovate anymore, my ass! We may have lost Steve, but we're extremely clear and very aware of who we are and what we do, and why. We're Apple, and this is our signature."

Everything was geared towards providing a clear identity, including the redesign of iOS 7.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2013, 05:33 PM

Yes, how dare Apple try to invest some local pride in what they and many other tech companies have done for America! THE NERVE! (rolls eyes)
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules