Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CD-RW: SCSI card vs. Firwewire vs. USB

CD-RW: SCSI card vs. Firwewire vs. USB
rgruber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2000, 11:25 AM

I currently have an external Yamaha CRW4416SX SCSI drive which is great. But I'm moving from my old 7500/100 to a new Pismo as my all around machine. I've read that no SCSI cards currently work with Pismo and that the Firwire CD-Rw's are kinda flakey still while the USB drives are slow. What's the best call? Do I just wait for the drivers and get a SCSI card for the Pismo (about $200) or sell the Yamaha and get a new Firewire or USB drive. I want something solid so I don't have to worry about my burns. Speed isn't so crucial. I'd like the reliablilty and quality of the Yamaha.

Rob

Crow
Apr 3, 2000, 01:29 PM

I'm in the same boat that you are right now. I've been thinking of just getting a USB to SCSI or Firewire to SCSI converter (and save a little money, since I already have a burner...), but I haven't researched it yet. Have you thought about a converter???

Crow

rgruber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2000, 01:42 PM

I just don't trust converters and things like that especially for writing data. I hate burning bad cd's. I'm thinking of just keeping my 7500 around to burn CD's till they have good, reliable firewire drives available.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2000, 01:50 PM

you said you USB is slow, but yet you don't care about speed, you want reliable burns...

anway, http://www.vsttech.com/ has just about anything you could ever want for you powerbook...not to mention a pretty damn good USB CDRW. look for their firewire drives soon. or pick up sony's 10X4X32 CDRW firewire drive.

Crow
Apr 3, 2000, 01:51 PM

I was thinking about a converter, but if they aren't reliable then I'll wait...

Crow

[This message has been edited by Crow (edited 04-03-2000).]

sblunden
Apr 4, 2000, 12:18 PM

VST also has an expansion bay CD-RW for Pismo. Its not shipping yet but i would imagine it will soon.
http://www.vsttech.com/vst/products....2568850070177e

I also read an article about another company making a CD-RW for expansion bays but i can remember the name. May
be a search of MacNN will find the article.

I don't have any info on performance but i would consider this option.

------------------
- s p e n c e r
- s p e n c e r

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2000, 05:26 AM

I have had a sony spressa usb which worked ok. I traded it with someone's freecom travelstar (cdrw with batterypack)

usb is fine, but wont go faster than 4x
scsi will work at 8x and firewire will work at 12x but..you need special cdr's to do it. 4x speed disks are cheaper. besides, 4x is fast enough.
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2000, 04:09 PM

I also read an article about another company making a CD-RW for expansion bays but i can remember the name.
The other company is called Xcaret. MCE sells the internal CD-RW for Lombard/Pismo. Find them at www.powerbook1.com . IMHO (and from personal experience) they are the most knowledgeable and reliable shop for PowerBook repairs and upgardes.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

BernieC
Apr 6, 2000, 12:32 AM

I'm thinking about getting QPS Firewire CD-RW drive, but I've not read any good reviews about it. Anybody have experience with this one?

What'd love to see is a CD-RW that connects via the PC card slot. That'd be neat-o.

--Bernie

Forum Links
Forum Rules