Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Video teleconferencing with iMac

Video teleconferencing with iMac
victor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 1999, 05:04 PM

Hey there.

I've got a 333 iMac & I've talked my parents into buying a new 350 iMac (they don't need the DVD player).

I was wondering what brand/type of web cams should we buy to do video conferencing over the Net or even over direct connection. What is the best software available (shareware or otherwise)?

Thanks alot.

Victor

joeyzr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 1999, 08:21 PM

Here's what I have been able to do to try videoconferencing on my iMac:

I bought two USB Connectix QuickCam VCs for my sister and I. They retail for $79, but I landed a sweet deal early this year when Office Max advertised a $50 off coupon. So I got both for $30 each.

And I have been very pleased with the performance by the camera. I had to download the drivers off the connectix web site as they were not included on the CD.

Software is another matter. Being cheap, I have tried the shareware, including iVisit.com, cuseeme, and ICUII. They were all alright, but I was very limited by the fact that my sister has poor phone lines. Her connection rates are around 24,000 bps, while I have a more comfortable 49,333 bps. The video and audio were never too good, usually around 1 frame per 5 seconds.

There is other software you can try, including the new CUSeeME by White Pine software and ClearPhone, but they cost about $80 each I think.

Bottom line though, make sure your connection speeds are up to par to make this feasible. I am still quite happy with the QuickCam. My sis sends me pics of my new niece in every e-mail.

Hope this helps.

joeyzr

Forum Links
Forum Rules