Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Purchasing a new PB - some advice

Purchasing a new PB - some advice
milf
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2002, 04:35 PM

I just started work at a new company that is 100% PC and even worse 100% Microsoft. There are a few Macs in use here and there, particually by the graphics people, but for the most part Macs are few and far between.

Anyway, to the point of this post, I have been considering purchasing a Mac for some time now. Initially I wanted to replace my desktop with a PowerMac, but now that I'm spending the majority of my time in the office, the more mobile PowerBook seems like the more practical option. I've never been a huge laptop fan, but if I were to purchase the PowerMac instead, I'd be stuck with a Windows 2K machine at work (ew...).

I know that nobody can predict the future, but there is always talk of a newer, faster system being released by Apple. I know that the PowerBook was recently upgraded and so I'm hesitant to believe all that I read, but is it possible that the new PB revision is on it's way? Would this be worth waiting for?

I'm expecting the typical <i>if you can wait then wait, otherwise buy</i> type answers, but any further advice would be appreciated. I've read reviews that state the PB 800 is a beautiful machine, but does anyone have first hand experience/comments/advice/etc that they could give. 3-4K is a lot of money to spend on a laptop, so I want a little assurance beforehand.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2002, 05:12 PM

I bought my Ti800 77 days ago (had to count it up today for AppleCare stuff, no - I don't have a running counter of how many days I've owned my computer .... then again!?!) I was never really a fan of notbooks myself either. I had used them in the past and couldn't stand the small keyboards, small displays, lacking power, and lack of upgradability. My B&W450 was getting old, and OSX was a big draw for me so I decided to upgrade...

My misconseptions:
Laptops are underpowered - Ti800 is on par with most, if not all desketop systems with it's L3 cache and G4.
Laptops lack good graphics - The DVI has a 32MB video card, which is a little small (I'd want 128MB), but it is more than capable to run most things on the display... and have had no problems on my 17" CRT.
Laptops have small keyboards - The keyboard isn't too much different from the one that came on my B&W450... it's smaller than a Pro keyboard, but is not too small to use.
Laptops are not upgradable - With Firewire and USB the issue of upgradability is drasticly reduced... Adding external (faster) hard drives is simple, as for processor upgrades they are hard, but not unheardof. Also, the CD/DVD drive can be upgraded in certain situations.

I think that the PowerBook would be great for someone who wanted to use it at home and work. It's powerfull enought to do almost every task, as well as portable enough to take back and forth from home to work every day.

As for the next upgrade... I think that if you can wait until August 24 you should. You will get the PowerBook with 10.2 installed, saving the money and trouble of upgrading. If you have the use for Bluetooth you might want to wait untill the end of August/beginning of September to see if new PowerMacs are introduced with built in bluetooth, as it will also come to the PowerBooks quickly after. As for me I don't have a need for Bluetooth so just waiting until 10.2 would be enough.

Well this was probably more information than you ever wanted -- but I'm at work, and don't really want to do anything today

-Todd...

jacinto45
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2002, 11:50 PM

Keep in mind that if you buy a TiBook now (as I did Jul. 18...got it last Saturday...it's awesome) you can get Jaguar for only $20, shipping included, from the online Apple store.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2002, 04:58 AM

Processor upgrades on machines later than the Pismo are almost impossible. The processor is soldered onto the motherboard.

satyagrahanism
Aug 10, 2002, 04:23 AM

i was never a laptop person. i agree with the above misconceptions about laptops.

i can't say i'm 100% happy with my powerbook, but if i had to make the decision all over again, i would still choose a powerbook.

now that ive used a powerbook, i'm *never* going back to a desktop again - unless it would be for a "secondary" computer. my primary comp will always be an apple laptop. always

get a powerbook. but bargin with the person who is selling it to you. check out pricewatch for some good deals. even there you can bargin around. dont buy from an apple store, they wont bargin with you.

i had $750 bucks knocked off my laptop just with some negotiating

dee
TAKE A STAND FOR HUMAN AND ANIMAL RIGHTS! SPEAK OUT AND HELP THOSE WHO ARE IN GREAT NEED.

kymikai
Aug 10, 2002, 12:50 PM

Not sure about a revision, but I would wait until 10.2 comes out just to save extra $20 - only 2 more weeks. I bought my 667 a month ago. Overall the PB is a nice machine but apple really needs to work on the coating. I opted for the 667 because the difference in price is not worth it for me. If apple have a 1G model at the current 800 price, I will definitely go for that but anyway I took the plunge.

Babar
Aug 10, 2002, 05:37 PM

Hi!

I just bought a 667 DVI and it ROCKS! I have a perfect screen!

This is the best laptop i've ever had, my friends are jaleous!!!

Totally recommended!

Forum Links
Forum Rules