Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > upgrading from 8.6 to 9.2.2...

upgrading from 8.6 to 9.2.2...
fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 10:24 AM

my friend has an old ibook with 8.6.
i want to upgrade her to 9.2.2...i have the upgrades, but need os9.

we have the iMac disks, and i have my old powerbook 9 disks...can we use either, or do we need the commercial os9 disks? and...is this downloadable anywhere?

thanks!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 01:29 PM

Your OS 9 CDs are hardware specific, and likely won't work with the iBook. Most people on here report them not working.

As far as downloading OS 9, we can't talk about that here.

I'd check out the back pages of MacAddict or MacWorld and see what the prices look like for OS 9 CDs. They should be pretty cheap now.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
May 23, 2004, 02:17 PM

As far as downloading OS 9, we can't talk about that here
And just why not ???

OS 9 is not LEGALLY downloadable anywhere that I know of...they'll just have to buy a copy.

There, I said it! so sue me
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2004, 08:19 PM

My imac (G3) came with os 9.1 CDs and i was able to install it on a 4400/200.

Your OS 9 CDs are hardware specific, and likely won't work with the iBook. Most people on here report them not working.
So what problems are incountered?

Gregg
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 10:42 AM

My iBook came with an OS9 CD as well as X of course. I installed 9 on my desktop, which had been running 8 before. It installed a few things that were specific to the iBook. There was no harm leaving them there, but I deleted them anyway. Since then I have purchased an OS9 CD, and now have one to go with both machines, wherever they are.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by bowwowman:
And just why not ???

OS 9 is not LEGALLY downloadable anywhere that I know of...they'll just have to buy a copy.

There, I said it! so sue me
I couldn't care less if you download it or not, I was just stating the forum rules FYI. Piracy discussion usually means lockination.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by theory:
My imac (G3) came with os 9.1 CDs and i was able to install it on a 4400/200.

So what problems are incountered?
Well, I just read Tooki's post in another thread here, and he says later OS 9 CDs aren't hardware specific. YMMV.

DewD
May 29, 2004, 01:00 PM

I suppose the Apple Goons will be busting down my door after posting this , but----- My 2nd hard drive on my old G3 Beige is running OS 9.2.2 , which I installed from my ladyfriend's iMac disks ( 15-inch, Jaguar ). I did this for one reason only : to get Open GL 1.2.2 to run my Radeon 7000 graphics card at full 3D capability.

FYI- The documentation with the iMac disks says the Classic Installer will run on all the older G3 machines and of course all the G4's as well...

Forum Links
Forum Rules