Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > alert sound bug

alert sound bug
dispater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2002, 04:33 AM

hi,
i have noticed an apparently harmless, but irritating bug since installing jaguar. whenever a program prompts me with an alert box, the alert sound (which usually initiates when the box pops up) doesn't trigger until AFTER i click on one of the buttons. a delayed reaction. anyone have an insight to what may be going on here? thanks.

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by dispater:
hi,
i have noticed an apparently harmless, but irritating bug since installing jaguar. whenever a program prompts me with an alert box, the alert sound (which usually initiates when the box pops up) doesn't trigger until AFTER i click on one of the buttons. a delayed reaction. anyone have an insight to what may be going on here? thanks.
yeah. The sounds apparantly do not get cached in memory, and hence the delay.

Have you also noticed that some sounds do not work at all? We have sounds for "Mount Volume", "Unmount Volume", "Empty Trash", etc, but I couldn't get them to work.

I guess it is a bug waiting to be fixed, but from what I've heard and seen, we have to wait for 10.2.2 or later for that...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2002, 11:12 AM

I'm extremely upset! I haven't been able to get the sounds to work in iColumn, a Tetris-like game that worked fine before Jaguar!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 01:26 PM

For me, the "new mail" sound has stopped working in Mail.app. Has anyone else had this problem?

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
For me, the "new mail" sound has stopped working in Mail.app. Has anyone else had this problem?
I have. It started a few days ago and I kept checking to see if my head phones were plugged in or is the sound was on mute. This stinks because sometimes that is the only thing to remind me to check mail.

idjeff
Senior User
Sep 17, 2002, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
Yeah, it comes and goes for me (Ti500). The sounds also seem to miss a beat from time to time.

OT: How do you change the sounds in iChat. I can hardly hear the "message received" default. I've managed to change the sound of "logged in", but cannot change "message received".

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules