Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Need help making website

Need help making website
Dopey
Nov 20, 2002, 11:29 AM

Hello all. I am trying to build my first website and I have no idea how to do it. I am too old to have grown up on this stuff but am pretty quick to figure things out if I get minimal instruction or am using something with an intuitive design or interface. What I am looking for is an inexpensive or free webpage design software that runs in OS X. I am willing to learn enough HTML to customize a page generated by some other piece of software but can't imagine writing a web page layout from scratch. Please help (including by telling me I am asking the wrong question).

The website wil be relatively simple and consist of pages, some photos and perhaps the ability to display and download pdfs.

Macanoid
Senior User
Nov 20, 2002, 11:52 AM

Please go and have a look at Freeway 3.5.5. It's a HTML generator that allows you to focus on design without ever having to worry about HTML. It generates the cleanest code in the business.

A fully working 30-days trial can be downloaded here: http://www.softpress.com

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2002, 11:59 AM

Well, there are a couple things you could do. One is to get BBedit lite, which would mean you would have to do most of the html editing yourself. There are many good tutorials out there if you do a google search on html tutorials. Another option is to buy, or download the trial (depending on the speed of your connection - the trial is a 70 meg download) of dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is a fairly straightforward program that has templates for you to customize or you can create a page of your own without having to know html. The third option I can see is to go to a website like www.geocities.com or tripod.com (they might actually be the same company now, I'm not totally sure) and get some free webhosting from them and use there VERY EASY to use web page creation tools. I'm sure there are other ways also, but that's what's coming to mind right now.

Dopey  (op)
Nov 20, 2002, 12:00 PM

I saw it and it looked pricey. I am doing the site as a volunteer for a synagogue and don't want to spend that much money on software.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 12:01 PM

Dreamwaever is only $300 (I think?) and is very easy to learn once you 'get it' so to speak. The freeway app is ok, but fools you into think that you can do whatever you like because it's a page layout app and you can't do a lot of things in html. So check it out if cash is an issue.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Dopey  (op)
Nov 20, 2002, 12:10 PM

Has anyone used that? It looks to be in my price range.

Dopey  (op)
Nov 20, 2002, 12:24 PM

" Has anyone used that? It looks to be in my price range. "
I was referring to PageSpinner. Also, what about PineHill's CreativePage 3.0 ($30) or Rage Software's WebDesign 1.8 ($30)?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2002, 01:39 PM

Before you rule out hand-coding completely, I would suggest checking out Dave Raggett's tutorial at http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/. THe tutorial is pretty basic, but not only does it get the job done, but it will show you how to keep your code very simple and easy to follow even while doing all kinds of funky things to the layout. And even if you don't decide to hand-code the whole site, you'll have a solid knowledge of how HTML works, which will serve you well for customizing program-generated pages.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Dopey:
Hello all. I am trying to build my first website and I have no idea how to do it.
Strong Bad certainly is the man to ask about this stuff. Get all his tips here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail51.html

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2002, 11:12 PM

Don't overlook the 'composer' module of Mozilla. Fully functional and free.

ambush
Banned
Nov 20, 2002, 11:44 PM

WebDesign looks better than CreativePage (10 mins test ) But then again I could be wrong. I always use Composer (sometimes) /BBEdit..

The author of Creative page regularly posts on macnn so ask him why you should choose his app.

Ookla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2002, 12:21 AM

I learned by finding a site that roughly appeared how I wanted then looked at the source code to get an idea of what it entailed. Also try htmlgoodies for some basic tutorials as well.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2002, 02:54 PM

CreativePage 3.0, which is $29.95, looks like what you are looking for. It's an all-in-one application, which means you create your web page, manage your site, and upload it to the web all in the same application. Of course you can use your own FTP client and site management software if you would like.

We're working very hard to make CreativePage the best moderately priced (X)HTML editor for OS X.

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 09:04 PM

I run the website for our church, so I have a similar set of problems I suspect. We use Dreamweaver and Fireworks. After going through various shareware/inexpensive tools, it became clear that it was important to spring for some decent tools. Macromedia has a great educational pricing structure.

But having said that...if I were you, I'd get a .MAC subscription and use Apple's homepage. Ok, it's not going to make Flash intro's BUT--it's free beyond the cost of .MAC, and it's very easy to use, especially for doing the kind of things religious congregations often put on their site (text and photos).

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2002, 02:25 AM

I miss this one badly

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Nov 28, 2002, 02:45 AM

why don't you download a Macromedia Dreamweaver demo.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2002, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
I miss this one badly

What was that, Adam? It certainly looks intuitive.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2002, 09:50 AM

That was an app that shipped with the public beta but never made it into the final release unfortunately.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2002, 11:21 AM

Buy WebObjects and you get HTMLEdit. I forgot... does it visually show the objects or is it stricly HTML?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2002, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Buy WebObjects and you get HTMLEdit. I forgot... does it visually show the objects or is it stricly HTML?
It does visually show the objects. From what I remembered, it have one of the best table management.

davecom
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2002, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
I miss this one badly :(

Me too!

Dopey  (op)
Dec 2, 2002, 04:35 PM

Here's what I did.

I downloaded the freeway demo and used it to make the site. I really likes working with it and have the page up and running although there is still some tweaking to do. I will try CreativePage or Webdesign now that I have a sense of what one of the high-priced apps are like. I also feel like I have absorbed enough html (by osmosis and through some online primers that you all pointed me to) to edit the pages I already have and to try some minor new tricks using a text editor. Thanks all for your help.

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 2, 2002, 04:43 PM

Nice to read you tried Freeway. make sure you check the softpress.com site the coming few days as they will release various FAST (freeway advanced site tools) packs which will knock you off your socks - totally stunning stuff.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2002, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Dopey:
Here's what I did.

I downloaded the freeway demo and used it to make the site. I really likes working with it and have the page up and running although there is still some tweaking to do. I will try CreativePage or Webdesign now that I have a sense of what one of the high-priced apps are like. I also feel like I have absorbed enough html (by osmosis and through some online primers that you all pointed me to) to edit the pages I already have and to try some minor new tricks using a text editor. Thanks all for your help.
Please remember that FreeWay is a WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) editor, while CreativePage is a (X)HTML editor only, which ends up giving you more control over your page (but can take some more time than having a program do it for you).

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 02:30 PM

Freeway is not so much a WYSIWYG HTML editor, but a HTML generator. Every time you publish or preview you site it generates the site anew

The focus with this program is on design, and it does this splenditely!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules