Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Screenwriting Application

Screenwriting Application
huwb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2003, 02:14 AM

I once owned Movie Magic Screenwriter on a PC, and on the Mac I have tried both it and Final Draft, but neither really satisfy me. The Carbon version of these apps feel funky, and I am sure someone can do better.

Does anyone have any recommendations for screenwriting applications? Why would you recommend them?

Alternatively, is anyone working on a Mac OS X native screenwriting application (Cocoa anyone?).

Cheers,

huwb

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 24, 2003, 06:40 AM

I think most people use Final Draft - even though it's a dit of a creaky Carbon Port.

I think this is for Books, but youc ould try this:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19074

posthumanus
Senior User
May 24, 2003, 07:54 AM

open a fresh AppleWorks document

change page set-ups: margins, indents, tabs, headers, fonts & sizes (courier12) to accepted hollywood screenplay format

then save this page as a template

drag its icon to the dock, toolbar, favourites, wherever

then you're always only a click away from a fresh sheet

(this can also be used for letters & resume`s)

http://www.writerscriptnetwork.com/

http://hollywoodlitsales.com/

http://www.absolutewrite.com/screenw...eenwriting.htm

posthumanus
( Last edited by posthumanus; May 24, 2003 at 08:01 AM. )

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 24, 2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Come on Diggory, I'm sure you can think of 5 more things to say on a Saturday!

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 24, 2003, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Come on Diggory, I'm sure you can think of 5 more things to say on a Saturday!
Good point! I'm off the the lounge.

huwb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2003, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the links. I will check those out.

For anyone who is looking at Manuscript, I suggest you wait until July. A similar application, but better designed, will be released then. It has been described as an "iPhoto for Writing".

It is called Ulysses -- the site is currently in German only. The application is a project book for writers and features exporting to different formats (txt and rtf to begin with, html and tex to follow).

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2003, 08:45 PM

i have final draft, and i think its great. theyr'e also pretty good at fixing small stuff with updates. if you can somehow get it at a education price, i'd say go w/ it.

--ryan

JB72
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by huwb:
I once owned Movie Magic Screenwriter on a PC, and on the Mac I have tried both it and Final Draft, but neither really satisfy me. The Carbon version of these apps feel funky, and I am sure someone can do better.
/agree

There's not a whole lot of incentive for them to do better though. Not really all that many screenwriters to buy the software, thus no room for further competition. You might try using a simple template for Word or Works to get the basics of the format, then import it to Final Draft when you are ready to print.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 11:57 AM

Final Draft, no doubt. Their Final Draft Courier font alone is worth the cost.

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2003, 05:01 PM

I'm with posthumanus on this one, excepting that I tend to use Word rather than Appleworks - simply out of habit.

Played with Final Draft a few times on a friend's computer - never saw anything that raised my pulse rate, though I'm not speaking from years of hands-on use here, and I started on an old manual so I'm a bit old-school when it comes to writing

If memory serves, there are tons of pre-formatted templates for Word on the web... Google could likely find them quickly.
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by walrusjb:
I'm with posthumanus on this one, excepting that I tend to use Word rather than Appleworks - simply out of habit.

Played with Final Draft a few times on a friend's computer - never saw anything that raised my pulse rate, though I'm not speaking from years of hands-on use here, and I started on an old manual so I'm a bit old-school when it comes to writing

If memory serves, there are tons of pre-formatted templates for Word on the web... Google could likely find them quickly.
I came across this just the other day: Hollyword

Sounds interesting. Like you I use Word and would rather have an add on instead of a new app for writing scripts. An add on may not be as focused as a purpose made app, but Word integration with the rest of the Office suite could be a plus.

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2003, 09:04 AM

Interesting, will check it out.

Now what I'm really wondering... Your name's Simon, the company you"came across" is called "Simon Skill Systems"... hmmm

Coincidence, or conspiracy

http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by walrusjb:
Interesting, will check it out.

Now what I'm really wondering... Your name's Simon, the company you"came across" is called "Simon Skill Systems"... hmmm

Coincidence, or conspiracy

That didn't even register. Total coincidence.
I'm in the UK and Hollyword is from California. His surname is Simon whilst mine is X

If you do check it out then please let me know what it's like. I've been meaning to get something like this for some time.

P.S. Really like the look of your site. Also the themes look very nice, not that I use or have a need for Keynote right now, but nice looking nevertheless.

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2003, 08:33 AM

For me, Final Draft is the BBEdit of screenwriting software. Not to mention, they supported OSX pretty early on, which was a check in my book. I've been using it since version 4 or something and I can't imagine working without it. Setting up screenwriting styles and formats in Word is a pain in the a$$!

Forum Links
Forum Rules