Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new ibook 800 - WOW!

new ibook 800 - WOW!
smijolovic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2003, 02:30 AM

I just bought the ibook 800 12" CDROM today for $999....and all I can say is WOW! It is EXTREMELY fast, and I really like the way the wrist rest area and touchpad look and feel. It doesn't look like it is painted, which would be nice sinse the older ibook's paint would fade in those areas. Popped in the airport card that I had and was up and running in minutes. I am really glad I bought it....and it only has 128MB RAM.....and....yes I did order the 512MB PC133 stick for it....ramseeker has further dropped the price of the 512 PC133 SODIMMs to only $80! The place where I bought the ibook thought I would fall for their $170 price gouging!

If you have any doubts about a new mac laptop...seriously consider the ibook. The machine makes no noise, runs cool, looks great....and flat out flies.
rm -rf /bin/laden

milhouse
Senior User
Jun 7, 2003, 03:06 AM

Congrats. I love mine.

"-Dodge This"

davidcarr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by smijolovic:
I just bought the ibook 800 12" CDROM today for $999....and all I can say is WOW! It is EXTREMELY fast, and I really like the way the wrist rest area and touchpad look and feel. It doesn't look like it is painted, which would be nice sinse the older ibook's paint would fade in those areas. Popped in the airport card that I had and was up and running in minutes. I am really glad I bought it....and it only has 128MB RAM.....and....yes I did order the 512MB PC133 stick for it....ramseeker has further dropped the price of the 512 PC133 SODIMMs to only $80! The place where I bought the ibook thought I would fall for their $170 price gouging!

If you have any doubts about a new mac laptop...seriously consider the ibook. The machine makes no noise, runs cool, looks great....and flat out flies.
That is great! Enjoy! I really like my 900 and yes it does fly. I had a difficult time deciding between the PowerBook 12" or the iBook 900MHz and I am very glad I decided on the iBook.
iBook 900
640MB RAM
40 GB HD
Airport

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 11:03 AM

Congrats, sounds like you are very happy with your purchase. I was thinking of getting a new iBook, but decided to get a new eMac instead. I'm waiting (for how long?) until the ibook moves to a G4, and then I will sell my bb clamshell (any one want one?) ibook.

smijolovic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2003, 12:04 PM

I thought about waiting.....but I am not that pleased with the performance of the PB 12", in comparison to the iboo's performance. I am sceptical about the G4 in the ibook, because it would most likely melt the case!

I have heard significant rumors about Motorola development of a G3 processor with altivec enabled. I don't expect any major changes to the architecture until next year....so the 800/12"/CD @ only $999 is a great investment. All directions point to the IBM 970 in the desktops and Moto in the mobiles for now, but if they don't pick up the pace Big Blue will bump Moto out of the game.

I think IBM will be a great thing for Mac fans. The thinkpads out today are in my opinion the best mobile PC (size, parts, quality, battery life, 3 yr warranty, etc). Most people complain about the price, but I feel that you get what you pay for.
rm -rf /bin/laden

Sosa
Senior User
Jun 7, 2003, 02:49 PM

... and I really like the way the wrist rest area and touchpad look and feel. It doesn't look like it is painted, which would be nice sinse the older ibook's paint would fade in those areas.
I don't know if the 800 mhz you have has the new iBook materials they used but since you are contrasting with the older iBooks like mine, I will assume yes. Many people have criticized this material for feeling cheap and not as smooth as the metallic look in the previous iBooks. I checked it out myself at the Apple store and have to agree. The wrist rest area in the new iBooks does not feel as comfortable for me because of this material, which looked kind of beige to me. I strongly prefer the smooth metallic type finish on my 700 mhz.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

vickster
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by milhouse:
Congrats. I love mine.

I like yours - uh, I mean mine - too

vickster

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 10:52 PM

I agree, I have the last model to have the "old" finish. An 800mhz Combo, and I think the new finish does seem to cheapen the design. I had a 500mhz previously and had no cosmetic problems othere than the latches I broke taking it apart (Overclocking ).

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2003, 10:31 PM

My girlfriend and I just bought one for each of us (and a new iPod) I've recently brought her over from the Dark Side. I actually bought mine a week or so before she got hers. She loved mine so much, she wanted one of her own. Very cool!

Forum Links
Forum Rules