Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > No Future for The Mirrored G4s?

No Future for The Mirrored G4s?
Killer Thread
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 01:18 PM

I've been running my G4 Mirrored (Dual 1.25 not 800FW) on 10.2.6 for a while. The original disks were 10.2.1 (Jaguar). I had to make the upgrade to 10.3.9 to work with new installs that I had for my work (AVID Editor). Bought a copy of Panther (10.3.5), while installing I encountered an undefined error. The installer told me to try and reinstall again. I did, same error. Checked the drive, no problems. Even reformatted and clean installed, same error occurred. Then I decided to give Tiger a try and yes same error occurred. I thought that maybe something was seriously wrong with my machine so then I decided to try and reinstall my original (10.2.1) disks that came with the machine. No problems at all. The install completed and software update asked if I wanted to move to (10.2.8). I checked to see if it was a firmware issue, but Apple makes no suggestion that an upgrade is necessary. What I'm wondering now; are there specific disks for the Mirrored G4 and General purpose OS installs won't work on her? Please, anyone advise. She's been a very good machine, I don't want to put her out to pasture for this.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 01:20 PM

My MDD, which is older than yours, runs very well on Tiger and I had no problems installing it either. I have heard of a few cases of some poorly stamped disks that fail so when it wants to take 10 minutes to check the disk, let it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2006, 01:24 PM

I ran into some issues like this with a PowerBook upgrade. I ran permissions repair and verified the disk while booted from 10.4 install disk. Everything was happy after that.
SAm

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 04:36 PM

My old MD 867 installed Tiger fine off a standard installer disk. Since it has happened to you with two installer disks, perhaps something is up with your optical drive?

Orion27
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 05:53 PM

I'm running 10.4.5, currently on my Dual 1.25 MDD FW800 PowerMac. I have never had an
update nor upgrade issue in three years. My PowerMac is faster and more stable than ever.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2006, 05:56 PM

I'd try getting new disks one more time, or better yet, try out 10.4 instead of 10.3.

If you're doing an Upgrade, fix permissions and stuff first as someone else suggested. However, I always recommend backup/erase/install. It's the best way to go.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 11:22 PM

I just put OS X server on a dual 1.25 MDD, and used the built in RAID to mirror 2 drives inside it, it performed exactly as expected. Don't put her out to pasture just yet.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 06:16 AM

My dad's MDD is running Tiger as well, he is having problems with the fans and an inability to wake from sleep.

Everything else is fine.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2006, 07:56 AM

I have installed Tiger after delete the whole hard disk. This with a single 1.25 GHz MDD FW400. No problem at all.

Do you have any third party hardware inside the MDD ?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2006, 03:49 PM

Check your RAM. Couldn't hurt.

As per other recommendations, check your optical drive too. The installers have an option at the beginning where they will check the installer disk. Let that run ALL the way through. If it finishes without error, your disks and your drive are likely okay.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules