Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Could 64 bit be bad for me?

Could 64 bit be bad for me?
MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2006, 10:05 PM

the new Merom is 64 bit right? dosnt that mean that on most apps it will run slower ?every day Apps that are made for 32 bit? im not sure i understand all this, please explain the Pros and cons of Merom. and what apps will be effected poorly. thanks

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 10:46 PM

I'd Google it.

64-bit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has alot of jargon, but it should help.

One should note that G5s and PPC 10.4 are 64-bit (though whether they are "truly" so is a point of debate) and Core Duos and x86 10.4 are 32-bit.

nate_02
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 12:32 AM

I think your apps just won't run as fast as they could if they were optimized for 64 bit. I don't think it will slow them down.
-nate

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 12:37 AM

Um "ppc 10.4" is 64bit on the unix layer only. At least thats what was said during the keynote at WWDC earlier this month. When Leopard comes out the whole OS not just the unix layer will be 64bit.

Now when you ask if it's bad for me, are you talking from a software point of view or hardware. I ask because if you do anything that requires Adobe products you'll have to wait till Adobe release's UB versions to take advantage of either the Yonah or Merom no matter if one is 32 or 64. From what I gather the 64bit is mainly so apps can address memory higher than the 2gig limit now. For instance Photoshop running with 8gig would be smoking, or in my case Maya being able to use up to lets say 16gigs would absolutely rule.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2006, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by silver
Um "ppc 10.4" is 64bit on the unix layer only. At least thats what was said during the keynote at WWDC earlier this month. When Leopard comes out the whole OS not just the unix layer will be 64bit.

Now when you ask if it's bad for me, are you talking from a software point of view or hardware. I ask because if you do anything that requires Adobe products you'll have to wait till Adobe release's UB versions to take advantage of either the Yonah or Merom no matter if one is 32 or 64. From what I gather the 64bit is mainly so apps can address memory higher than the 2gig limit now. For instance Photoshop running with 8gig would be smoking, or in my case Maya being able to use up to lets say 16gigs would absolutely rule.

silver
eh, I have a 32-bit linux computer with 4GB of RAM. I'm pretty sure that 4GB is the limit for 32-bit processors. Or maybe PPC processors are different.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 01:34 AM

I really dont think it matters one iota wether you have 64 bit or not. Just get the 64 bit because it is the latest technology. there really is no need to question buying an updated product.... whatever your software is currently will run on the 64 bit with hardly a noticeable speed difference if any...

and software for macs is updated regularly anyway isnt it (excluding adobe)? im sure the companies will produce new versions for download for new platforms almost immediately after the release of a new platform so not buying the newer hardware because of software may be a bad way to go. might be shortchanging yourself.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 04:31 AM

I stand corrected Velocity211 is right, 4gig is the limiting factor for 32bit systems.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

mleary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 11:18 AM

4gb is the addressable limit per process on a 32-bit system.

In practice a single process can only access 2gb-3gb of memory (depending on the OS), part of the 4gb goes to the kernel.

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2006, 10:24 PM

Thanks guys that clears up a lot for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules