Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" AL: 10.4.9 update killed my battery?

15" AL: 10.4.9 update killed my battery?
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 10:40 PM

I recently did a clean install of 10.4 on my PB and everything was normal. After a few days of getting software installed and configured I ran Software Update. Now I cannot remove the power cable from my powerbook because the computer will instantly turn off - as if the battery is not attached.

None of the LEDs work when I push the button the battery, which is just over a year old.

I know it sounds pretty flaky that a software update would kill my battery, but I am at a loss for any other cause. I didn't have 10.4.9 before I did a clean install and things worked ok then....

The charge status in the battery menu only says "Calculating......until full"

I might try to do another clean install, but I just spent a long time getting Adobe CS, FCP and a bunch of other apps installed. I'd hate to start over and still have a dead battery. My AppleCare is expired as well.

This PB is ready to be retired, I am just wondering if anyone else experienced or has heard of this happening.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2007, 12:28 AM

Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts and putting the battery back in? Just a thought...
My Blog-pakos.me

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2007, 08:21 AM

Consider that it might be coincidence that you had battery problems after installing the update (post hoc ergo propter hoc). The two events might be unrelated.

nate_02
Senior User
May 23, 2007, 09:14 AM

You might try resetting the Power Management Utility (PMU). It's worth a try.

Instructions are here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449
-nate

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
May 23, 2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by rehoot View Post
Consider that it might be coincidence that you had battery problems after installing the update (post hoc ergo propter hoc). The two events might be unrelated.
Yes.

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
May 23, 2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by nate_02 View Post
You might try resetting the Power Management Utility (PMU). It's worth a try.

Instructions are here: Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)

I checked the connections on the laptop and battery - no bent connectors or anything, so I will try resetting the PMU next. Thanks for your advice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules