Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Getting Good At Graphic Design

Getting Good At Graphic Design
ncmason
Aug 8, 2008, 10:17 PM

For the past few years, I've been using Photoshop and Illustrator for very basic things including "mockups" of advertisements and such. But to my eye, I don't seem to be able to add that "graphic designer" touch that makes icons look realistic for example. What tips would you give to a rookie that would like to be able to add that special touch that makes a design really pop?

Thanks,
Mason

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2008, 03:47 AM

Question’s too vague. I suggest you post a few of your efforts here, we’ll tell you what we think looks wrong.

ncmason
Aug 9, 2008, 06:54 AM

Here's a few examples of recent work. Please understand that I'm a beginner to graphic design even though I'm familiar with using PS and AI.

- Mason

These are thumbnails, click to enlarge.

Thorzdad
Aug 9, 2008, 09:44 AM

Any good designer has a formal knowledge of design basics such as typography, layout, color, and concept. These tools are central to what allows a trained designer to, as you say, "add that special touch that makes a design really pop."
Effective, creative design is a lot more than knowing how to use the software. Additionally, you are making the same mistake a lot of beginners make...trying to make everything look realistic. If you study the work of graphic designers, you'll see that very rarely do they create realism, unless photography (or a very good,very expensive illustrator) is involved.

That said, we would really need to know more about what your concepts or intents are with these two examples before anyone can provide any meaningful help. If I were still teaching, though, I'm afraid I'd tell you to scrap the mountain piece completely and start over. With a pencil and paper.

The globe piece could go so many different directions. To list them here would pretty much make the piece mine, not yours. My first hint would be for you to use a different typeface.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 9, 2008, 02:04 PM

My first hint would be for you to use a different typeface.
And then (since we’re still in the teacher rôle) write 100 times on the blackboard, “I shall not use Comic Sans”.

ncmason
Aug 9, 2008, 04:16 PM

OK, I won't use Comic Sans. My mistake.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2008, 03:55 PM

Honestly, I do not consider myself an artist.

But there are a few things that you learn - I guess that I became good just by practicing (well, and college).

For instance, I believe that everything in the piece should convey the "communication" and message of the piece. On the Global Day one I would have gone for a drive down into town and taken pictures of different things that signify diversity. I would have stiched them well together, without gaps, but left a "gap" in the middle and then put the text in there. It would be a sans-serif font (not sure which) but the back layer would be white, and then font would be a calming green.

Using Comic Sans is not a mistake, it is just that font is used WAY too much. In some adverts for some very respectable companies I have seen/done have used very generic fonts, but the point is they were well utilized.

On the one with the mountain, I would take a photo, color-correct etc. (all can be done in PS quite well, although I prefer Aperture) and then thrown in the text.

Check out www.sxc.hu for a pic if you can't take one of those photos.

The difference is that I do this for a living, though... So it is worth me taking a 4 hour drive to take a photo, or buying images on line.

One of my favorite quotes comes to mind...

"It takes years to study to become a doctor or lawyer, but anyone with a computer these days is a graphic designer"

Don't remember where it comes from, so can't give the source, unfortunately.
( Last edited by calverson; Aug 10, 2008 at 04:01 PM. )

ncmason
Aug 10, 2008, 05:53 PM

@calverson,

I appreciate the advice. I'm a photographer, so I guess it would make sense to incorporate that more into designs.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2008, 11:58 AM

I'd also agree that you need to scrap that mountain one completely.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I'd also agree that you need to scrap that mountain one completely.
Not nice.

Thorzdad
Aug 11, 2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
Not nice.
You've never been in an actual art critique session, have you? That's a completely valid thing to say. Sometimes, it's simply best to scrap a piece and start over. It's not that the idea is wrong. It's that the execution isn't salvageable. It needs re-thought and re-executed.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
You've never been in an actual art critique session, have you?
Yes I have.

That's a completely valid thing to say. Sometimes, it's simply best to scrap a piece and start over. It's not that the idea is wrong. It's that the execution isn't salvageable. It needs re-thought and re-executed.
This is not an actual art critique session. The OP wants to "get good at graphic design" and I don't think that:

"I'd also agree that you need to scrap that mountain one completely."

Would classify as anything conducive to increasing ones skills.

I do not disagree with what you are saying, I just find it a bit harsh for an on-line forum.

Then again, in the great words of Thom Yorke - I Might Be Wrong

Thorzdad
Aug 11, 2008, 03:22 PM

Well, I guess we'll just have to disagree. And that's cool, too.

From my perspective, since this is an Art and Design forum, any request for feedback, unless finely focused (i.e. "Should I do the type in purple or green?"), is an open call for critique. And, frankly, a straight, honest critique is part of learning this business. You can't get good at any of this without accumulating a fair share of "start completely over" moments". Thankfully, those tend to be bunched at the beginning of the learning curve.

In my initial post, I mentioned that we really have no idea what his intent is with these pieces. If we had that information up-front, perhaps the feedback could have been more detailed than "scrap it". Myself, I had in mind several potential directions the mountain piece could go it. But, without knowing where he wanted the piece to go, my comments would have been senseless.

But, then again, I've often been accused of being senseless.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 03:57 PM

Well, I guess we'll just have to disagree. And that's cool, too.
Agree to disagree. I do see your viewpoint though.

ncmason
Aug 11, 2008, 10:09 PM

You guys keep wondering where I was going with the mountain piece (to help answer my question better). I really just based the image off the quote I used. Hopefully that will help you guys come up with more helpful tips.

- Mason

Also (besides Thorzdad - who I've emailed about this), does anyone recommend any book titles for me?

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2008, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by ncmason
You guys keep wondering where I was going with the mountain piece (to help answer my question better). I really just based the image off the quote I used. Hopefully that will help you guys come up with more helpful tips.
If that’s where you were going with it, I’d say the piece lacks focus. Why the river, why the reeds, why the tree? They don’t contribute anything to the man-and-mountain idea. Something like a photograph of a guy standing on top of a mountain, or, even better, an extreme close-up of a mountaineer, with a top-of-the-Alps/Himalayas scene reflected in the eyes/glasses/goggles, would have been much more effective, in my opinion.

The thing is, a good design should stand out. Imagine it hanging on a wall, surrounded by dozens of other posters, something needs to capture the attention.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2008, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
Not nice.
Perhaps, but that is the nature of the business. As a professional graphic designer since 1996 I have ask for feedback on everything I have ever done. Sometimes it is positive, sometimes negative. I don't take it personal, it is just how the process works. I totally welcome any changes as nothing is ever perfect.

It is better to tell the designer that the concept isn't working rather than worry about their feelings and sugar coat an answer that results in dressing up bad creative.

For me the whole look of the ad and the mountain doesn't look right so it is better to go back to the drawing board and rethink the idea rather than trying to put lipstick on a pig.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2008, 06:20 PM

I took a Scott Kelby Photoshop seminar about ten years ago and it was great. I've got a couple of his books that are great too.

I recommend going to the below link, checking his portfolio, looking over his websites, and getting a book or two of his.

http://www.scottkelby.com/books.html
( Last edited by DCJ001; Aug 14, 2008 at 02:01 PM. )

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Perhaps, but that is the nature of the business. As a professional graphic designer since 1996 I have ask for feedback on everything I have ever done. Sometimes it is positive, sometimes negative. I don't take it personal, it is just how the process works. I totally welcome any changes as nothing is ever perfect.

It is better to tell the designer that the concept isn't working rather than worry about their feelings and sugar coat an answer that results in dressing up bad creative.

For me the whole look of the ad and the mountain doesn't look right so it is better to go back to the drawing board and rethink the idea rather than trying to put lipstick on a pig.
I've had teachers come up to the presentation boards and throw them in the trash and had out an F for bad work. Most of those students went on to be award winning designers. You don't learn anything by being cuddly with people.

bastler1001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2008, 03:24 AM

tips:

- design icons and logos first in vector software
- use a grid to design icons
- watch official signs and icons recognized by the national and international graphic design groups like AIGA.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2008, 09:07 PM

I believe there is a list of resources as a sticky on the front page. I would suggest to keep trying and keep posting, that way you start to understand different elements that are right and wrong.

As for the "harsh" criticisim, yes, that is part of the real design world. But, this is a forum for discussion. A good place to learn in fact. Sometimes, people with degrees in design (myself included) get a bit pissy when non designers try to design. However, that is not the case here. He's just looking for some tips. Yes, to make a real difference- go to school, get a degree, and start working. But for now- post some new tries.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2008, 01:34 PM

getting good at graphic design isn't about learning design apps, or learning to draw, it's about learning to think. 3 years at college should teach you how to think about design, what you are trying to say and what the finished work is trying to achieve.

More years out of college will really teach you to think. There's not really a short cut to this.

I always try to look at things like this. The client thinks he wants a logo, or a brochure, or a website. In fact no one wants these things, they want to sell product, create an image for the company or achieve another related goal. The logo, brochure and/or website are just the vehicle.

Think about the intended end result and ensure that every thing you do is focussed on achieving that.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2008, 01:36 PM

oh, and don't pile into Ai or PS to work on your logo ideas. Get out a pencil and a wad of paper and cycle through a couple of dozen "ideas" before trying to nail down the design.

macs help you produce great design. Pencils help you create.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2008, 01:37 PM

oops double post

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2008, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ncmason View Post
Also (besides Thorzdad - who I've emailed about this), does anyone recommend any book titles for me?
Well, here is a huge list you can find useful…

Forum Links
Forum Rules