Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > HOLY ****! LimeWire on OSX doesn't suck anymore.

HOLY ****! LimeWire on OSX doesn't suck anymore.
chris_h
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 09:02 PM

Doth mine eyes deceive me?

Looks like they've given LimewireX a much needed overhaul. It is fast now (and i'm on a g3 imac). They moved the menubar up to the top, gave it a non-assugly icon, and sped it up like i thought they never would.

I'm truly amazed.
http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...0275&db=macosx

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Feb 21, 2002, 09:14 PM

as many times as i clicked on the installer, i couldn't get the fecker to install. it just did nothing. will try downloading it again...

[edit: update]

nope. it just zooms along at a ridiculous download speed, then fails to open in stuffit, leading me to think it's corrupt somehow. can anyone provide an alternative download url?

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: philzilla ]
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2002, 10:10 PM

Yes, this is a very good upgrade to Limewire. It's actually very usable now on my B&W G3/300
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

hotani
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 11:14 PM

uh, no. pigged up my whole system and refused to quit. After force-quitting i just put it with the past versions in digital never-never land.

Aquisition is still much better, and has only been out for a short time.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

shiny
Feb 22, 2002, 04:44 AM

Look, Aquistion is good, but it does not compare to Limewire if you are on a fast connection because Aquisition does not offer multisource downloads. The reason Limewire won't quit is that you need to go into the preferences and make sure it quits right away rather than waiting for any impending transfers to occur.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2002, 04:53 AM

wouldn't unzip for me either.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

krove
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 07:08 AM

Is this a new version since last week. I downloaded a copy for use on my new iBook 600 last week and it still was: butt slow, really slow, and did I mention slow?

I hope its a new version...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2002, 07:28 AM

It's amazing how a little (still just a baby) app like aquisition can scare the $hite out of the folks at limewire!! They got on the ball and made their app usable!!!
My pants are fancier than yours!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2002, 08:24 AM

Yes, by golly, the newest LimeWire is a speed demon!
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

becca
Feb 22, 2002, 08:41 AM

OK although it is the fastest since 1.7 I'm having a problem.
I get it to run fine save all my prefs and then I'll hide it in the dock
to run in the background. When I go to unhide it ,it locks me up so bad I have to force reboot. It won't even lt me force quit. I can't even tab around to the terminal to kill it.
Whats up with that?
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Rex
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 09:45 AM

I join the satisfied group. I had installed and removed all previous versions of Limewire not because of speed, but because they didn't quite work! Now we have something that works AND speed. Great!

Jan Van Boghout
Feb 22, 2002, 12:51 PM

Wonderful , and I actually got swarm download to work !

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by moss514:
<STRONG>It's amazing how a little (still just a baby) app like aquisition can scare the $hite out of the folks at limewire!! They got on the ball and made their app usable!!!</STRONG>
LOL! That could be the reason

MacCubeBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by chris_h:
<STRONG>Doth mine eyes deceive me?

Looks like they've given LimewireX a much needed overhaul. It is fast now (and i'm on a g3 imac). They moved the menubar up to the top, gave it a non-assugly icon, and sped it up like i thought they never would.

I'm truly amazed.
http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...0275&db=macosx</STRONG>
Your right it is MUCH better. Why cant other OS X window resize like this?

hotani
Senior User
Feb 22, 2002, 04:38 PM

hrmmmm. :-/

sounds like mine did not behave as others experienced. For me, LW was slow to even drag the window around... hogging CPU cycles like crazy, and hanging on actions like pull-down menus and the like.

Also: this is a problem I have in all apps of this sort: I find lots of stuff, but none of it ever downloads... maybe one out of 20 files will successfully connect and start downloading. Is it just my machine?
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

MacAgent
Senior User
Feb 22, 2002, 04:42 PM

I'm, uh, not impressed. Aquisition is still better.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by MacAgent:
<STRONG>I'm, uh, not impressed. Aquisition is still better.</STRONG>
I have never gotten Aquisition, iSwipe, or LimeWire to work in OSX. I don't know what everyone is talking about. I searhc for files, audio and video, and nothing happens or they refuse to download. Hmmpf.

I heard that the new LimeWire was fast, and I was on my OS9 machine at the time so I tried the classic build, but it didn't seem that much snappier... and didn't return any hits when I searched for some popular video titles.

I will try Aquisition and LimeWire for OSX again when I get home.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2002, 07:01 PM

How is it that there are such drastically different reports of experiences with limewire and aquistion? I have desperately wanted aquisition to work, but searches are slow, and the odds of getting a download are slim to none. Other people report "fantastic success" with aquisition? What gives?

Right now, I'm sticking with limewire, cause it will actually download.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2002, 01:27 AM

Wow. I'm really impressed with the update. Aquisition is okay...just not as robust as LimeWire. Though the past few versions of LimeWire have been almost unusable. Kudos to the guy's at LimeWire (finally got it right...at least a little closer to 'right').
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by cacarr1:
<STRONG>Wow. I'm really impressed with the update. Aquisition is okay...just not as robust as LimeWire. Though the past few versions of LimeWire have been almost unusable. Kudos to the guy's at LimeWire (finally got it right...at least a little closer to 'right').</STRONG>
Agreed.

Aquisition is pretty good, particularly since it's just at v. 0.5, but it does need some work both in the stability and speed departments (and also, IMHO with at least an option for tabbed searches rather than multiple windows).

The new Limewire solves all the slow interface problems. (Although it's still a somewhat clunky interface) The adds are annoying, but now it works quite well...

cpac
cpac

uochris
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2002, 01:30 AM

The speed gain is like going from 10.0 to 10.1. They finally put out a product worth paying for so that's exactly what I did.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Apple doesn't read these message boards. If you have a complaint or suggestion for OS X send feedback where it will do some good.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2002, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
<STRONG>
I have never gotten Aquisition, iSwipe, or LimeWire to work in OSX. I don't know what everyone is talking about. I searhc for files, audio and video, and nothing happens or they refuse to download. Hmmpf.</STRONG>
You've gotta actually WAIT for the Gnutella client to establish at least a couple hundred connections before anything useful comes up. If you just search immediately after launching the program of COURSE nothing will show up.
I abused my signature until she cried.

diskobolos
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2002, 02:20 PM

Hey I was just about to post a thread about how damn slow limewire's interface was on my machine and then I saw and started reading this thread. Since a few of you were saying it wasn't slow I thought I'd try a few things to see if mine would speed up.

My limewire interface would do this weird pulsing thing and clicks would take a while to register, I looked in process viewer and with the limewire window visable window manager was at like 80 - 100% on my dual.

But I found what must be a bug.. limewire doesn't like thousands of colors. I switched to millions and all of a sudden the problems were gone. Of course limewire froze my system upon the switch, so quit it first if you're gonna switch. My itunes framerates will drop but at least limewire will be usable.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 08:10 PM

I haven't tried this new limewire yet but I really love acquisiton. It definitely takes the crown as being the best filesharing client for OS X. I can easily find everything that i'm looking for.

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2002, 07:00 PM

Fast...??? seems even outdated ( )machines like a 300 G3 performs well considering limewire, but not the icebook (krove e.g.)! I also own an ibook600 with 384Mb ram and it still is s----l----o----w.
Why does a (seemingly) simple application like limewire runs this bad? Maybe it's the icebooks' slow hd's?

Stefan

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2002, 07:47 PM

I don't see much of a difference in speed. I do noticed some changes to the interface. But that is about it.

clRagnarok
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2002, 07:56 PM

my college is run by fï¿œckin nazis and they started blocking limewire last semester. are there any alternate servers or whatever that I can connect to? limewire is the only file-sharing app that i've ever had any luck with, so i'd like to start using it again.
c l R a g n a r o k

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2002, 10:54 PM

Woohoo...this new version dows rock

<Red Commet>
Apr 6, 2002, 10:37 PM

For those who can't decompress limewire or get it to install:

Rename it from .sit to .zip and try again....

If you got it decompressed and it is still not possible to launch the installer:

Leave the faulty installer where it is en decompress the zip file again in the same location and try to launch the just extracted installer....

This worked for me...

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2002, 12:26 AM

Ok, I take back anything positive I said about the new limewire....If i donwload a shitload of stuff after it's complete it just disappears.....nowhere to be found

<King Bob On The Cob>
Apr 7, 2002, 12:53 AM

Really you should try http://www9.limewire.com:82/download/ and grab the latest version so that dragging the thing around doesn't suck so much.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by iKevin:
<STRONG>Ok, I take back anything positive I said about the new limewire....If i donwload a shitload of stuff after it's complete it just disappears.....nowhere to be found</STRONG>
You didn't look hard enough.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
<STRONG>

You didn't look hard enough.</STRONG>
Sure I did...I also looked on the Limewire forums where there's a large thread of people that have the same issue.

<Typhoon14>
Apr 7, 2002, 06:36 PM

You guys should check out Fern. It's essentially a sleeker (cocoa) GUI slapped on limewire. Much faster.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Apr 8, 2002, 12:27 PM

You do realise, I assume, that by far the biggest factor in the GUI speedup is not any particular release of LimeWire but the recent Java Update 1.3.1.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2002, 03:25 PM

iKevin,
LimeWire creates an "Incomplete" folder at the root level of whichever drive you're downloading to. Only when the dl's are complete do they show up in the folder that you designate for your downloaded files.
I've never "lost" anything acquired with LimeWire. Have you done a Sherlock search for your missing files?

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: malvolio ]
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 05:16 PM

When you kill a download for some reason ALL the files from incomplete are moved to the trash. (Or at least that's what I've found)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2002, 11:22 PM

I can't get limewire to actually download 1 in 10 files I try. It times out, for 200 then 1000 seconds between retrys, and almost never actually initiates a download. I'm on Road Runner, and usually try to download songs with at lest cable/dsl on the other end. I've been throught the prefs several times, and can't find anything of substance to alter. After 10 or 15 days of having Limewire, I've successfully downloaded a whopping total of 6 files. Not a real big thrill. Have yet to see an upload from my machine, either, although search attempts show up.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2002, 06:25 AM

Just for some clarifications

1) The initial speed increase happened before the Java update.
2) Gnutella works by connecting your machine to other machines. If you have dropped downloads that's probably because the person's machine you were downloading from disconected from the network. A good way around this is when you're doing a search and you see 13 of the same file, hit "Download Any."
3) There is no 3... okay, that was lame, but it's 5:25 in the morning here.

F-bacher

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 06:41 AM

This is still one one the worst apps I have ever used it is so damn slooooow. If you only want to download mp3's sputnix and aquisition are both much better. They don't crash ( aquisition 0.4 not 0.5), don't use 40 % of your CPU and don't take ages to start up.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Apr 9, 2002, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>iKevin,
LimeWire creates an "Incomplete" folder at the root level of whichever drive you're downloading to. Only when the dl's are complete do they show up in the folder that you designate for your downloaded files.
I've never "lost" anything acquired with LimeWire. Have you done a Sherlock search for your missing files?

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: malvolio ]</STRONG>
Yeah, there appears to be a bug in the most recent release. I don't have exactly the same problem as you, but on my machine LimeWire creates Incomplete and Shared folders at the root of my home directory every time I start it, even though I haven't specified that location for downloading to (and nor does it use it).

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2002, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>iKevin,

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: malvolio ]</STRONG>
Yup...and nada...nothing in the system that could be the lost files. Look at the Limewire forums. This isn't a rare instance with the latest build. Seems to be a common problem

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by iKevin:
<STRONG>

Yup...and nada...nothing in the system that could be the lost files. Look at the Limewire forums. This isn't a rare instance with the latest build. Seems to be a common problem</STRONG>
I had that problem when I updated to the recent version of Limewire... files would download into oblivion. I think I figured out the prob, tho...

Open the terminal, go to the root directory and switch to the "Volumes" directory. On my machine, I have two partitions (Mini X and Mini IX), but I should only see one in the Volumes directory, Mini IX (because Mini X is the root on my machine)... lo and behold, I have TWO directories in Volumes... Mini IX (my os 9 volume) and another called PowerBook IX (the old name for my os 9 volume). So, searching through this "ghost" directory ("ghost" because it shows up nowhere else: not the Finder, Sherlock, or any thing but the Terminal) I find a "Documents" directory, within which is a "Downloads" directory within which is an "Incomplete" and "Limewire Shared" directory... you can take a guess what I found in there. To make a long story longer, I proceeded to mv the downloaded files I didn't have already and rm the stuff I didn't need/want... now everything's copacetic.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

<King Bob On The Cob>
Apr 14, 2002, 04:10 AM

ever hear of "Go to Folder..." That would have been easier than using the Terminal...

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2002, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by &lt;King Bob On The Cob&gt;:
<STRONG>ever hear of "Go to Folder..." That would have been easier than using the Terminal...</STRONG>
Doesn't work.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules