Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > which free osx email client do you recommend?

which free osx email client do you recommend?
stevertitan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2002, 03:49 PM

Guys, I'm looking for a free osx email client that will blow away the built in mail.app. Are there any free ones out there that are worth my time? Looking for simplicity but decent power. I'm tired of switching to classic for the old os9 outlook express.

thanx

-Stever

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: stevertitan ]

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2002, 04:45 PM

I can't think of any free mail apps that are worth downloading. PowerMail is pretty good but I believe it's shareware, same with Sweet Mail. I believe the Eudora beta is free.

I went through this same thing not too long ago. I eventually settled into Mail.app. It's not *that* bad and you can add a fair amount of customization to it. For me simply changing the incoming mail font and moving the mailbox drawer to the otherside the way Outlook Express is was enough to sell me on it.

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2002, 05:08 PM

I use Eudora in OS X and I really like it. Give it a try as it's free as long as you allow the ads to run.

lw

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 06:39 PM

why is Mail not good enough? what do you really need so bad?

eno
Banned
Apr 3, 2002, 09:54 AM

Mail.app is my favourite too, even though it's a bit feature-starved. Ok, VERY feature-starved.

You really appreciate the smoothness of it and the Cocoa-ness and the threadedness....

I'd like to see better filtering though -- more customisable and flexibile, and better AppleScript support. Those are my priorities!

stevertitan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 10:48 AM

I honestly started to use mail.app but something in me 'snapped'.
I'm a real patient person when it comes to software, and work in the web industry.. so I'm familiar with picking up new programs.

One sunny, bright day .. I received an email with an attachment.
I wanted to SAVE the attachment in a specific folder on my HD. I didn't want to copy it, or drag it so it got converted into a clipping. I wanted to do something simple, like click on a paperclip or link and choose save as.. and be done with it.

Maybe I just can't "see the light" on this program, but I looked, and looked, and looked, for probably well over an hour for a simple way to save an attachment. I looked in the docs, online, help menus, etc...
Nada. I really wanted ctrl-click to work.. I did. Nada.

So needless to say, I got real pissed off and had the desire to scream at the top of my lungs. Never has an email program frustrated me so...

I guess I need to know, how you guys are saving attachments from mail.app because I apparently missed something. For example, a co-worker sends you a .jpg attached. How do you save it to a specific folder, keeping it's original encoded format, not converting it, but simply saving it.

PLEASE SOMEBODY SAVE ME! I've fallen and I can't get up.

Have I missed something extremely obvious? Man this program put me in a foul mood.

-Stever

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2002, 11:28 AM

As far as free email apps, Mail is the best one by far. But I don't use it. I have been using Entourage for a long time and I am just used to it. But if I didn't have it and wanted a free one, it would be Mail.

I know, not a very helpful reply, but I just felt the need to defend Mail.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2002, 11:28 AM

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=14141&db=mac

Try GNUmail.app - its the way the NeXT mail.app ran on NeXTStep. Apples Mail.app is a little watered down. This is still in constant development - soon it will be perfect!
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Gwenhiver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by stevertitan:
<STRONG>I guess I need to know, how you guys are saving attachments from mail.app because I apparently missed something. For example, a co-worker sends you a .jpg attached. How do you save it to a specific folder, keeping it's original encoded format, not converting it, but simply saving it.</STRONG>
Drag and drop the file icon/picture to the folder� What's the problem with that ?

stevertitan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Gwenhiver:
<STRONG>

Drag and drop the file icon/picture to the folder� What's the problem with that ?</STRONG>
It's converting the file to a clipping. Not keeping it as a .jpg. That's the problem.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2002, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by crazyjohnson:
<STRONG>http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=14141&db=mac

Try GNUmail.app - its the way the NeXT mail.app ran on NeXTStep. Apples Mail.app is a little watered down. This is still in constant development - soon it will be perfect!</STRONG>
Can it take the Mail.app addons and stuff? Basically I want to be able to keep my GPG capabilities.

Gwenhiver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 03:18 PM

<STRONG>It's converting the file to a clipping. Not keeping it as a .jpg. That's the problem.</STRONG>
Huh ? Mine doesn't do that��

sgrup
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2002, 03:36 PM

my vote must go for Eudora for OS X - I had been using Eudora for OS 9 and stuck to it on OS X after having tried Mail for a bit

s

york28
Senior User
Apr 3, 2002, 03:58 PM

<STRONG>

It's converting the file to a clipping. Not keeping it as a .jpg. That's the problem.</STRONG>
Thats pretty weird. I've dragged many attachments from messages in Mail.app, usually .jpg's, and it has always copied the file directly into the folder.....

Either way, though, I agree that Mail.app it a little under-powered. Anyone try GNUMail? I'm interested, but changing email programs can be quite a headache.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Forum Links
Forum Rules