Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AppleWorks 7

AppleWorks 7
jaredbkt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2002, 02:48 AM

Does anyone know anything about AppleWorks 7?

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Mar 29, 2002, 02:51 AM

Ya it will most likely suck. I hate to say it but use office.

VRL
Senior User
Mar 29, 2002, 03:05 AM

AppleWorks is fine. Inexpensive and capable. I never use Office (or anything from MS), and don't have a problem

As for AW 7, I've heard only rumors (mostly good ones). We'll soon see.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

beb
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2002, 12:00 PM

They need to include an easy-bake-oven type webpage editor with many frontpage-like features. Since OS X runs apache. They could make it so that it allows for plugins and the like.

Then all we need are Apple or IBM PowerPC made rackmountable servers. Not that third-party hoist-yer-G4-up-into-a-rackmount-crapola.

Hell, the Apple Network Server 500 & 700 ran AIX. I don't see why IBM can't return the favor. An IBM Mainframe running OS X. I don't know whether to be scared or thrilled.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2002, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Leia Shoots Like a Girl:
<STRONG>Ya it will most likely suck. I hate to say it but use office.</STRONG>
I second that.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

deeg
Mar 29, 2002, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by beb:
<STRONG> An IBM Mainframe running OS X. I don't know whether to be scared or thrilled.</STRONG>
might be interesting but since os/390 - z/390 has been unix compliant for some time now, i dont see any reason for it...we have a couple of lpars on our freeway eservers (as ibm are currently branding their cmos mainframes) running linux for testing purposes...i understand that some universities in the States are runing multiple linux images (numbering in the thousands of footprints) on some of their ibm boxes. a test that ibm carried out maxed out at around 30,000 servers in one box and then had to stop because they run out of storage..the os could have kept on adding them but it was a hardware constraint...

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
<STRONG>

I second that.</STRONG>
I third that. Errr...something like that.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Leia Shoots Like a Girl:
<STRONG>Ya it will most likely suck. I hate to say it but use office.</STRONG>
I don't second that. AppleWorks is fine for light word processing. I use it all the time for school papers and whatnot. I don't know if I'd pay very much for it (I had an OEM copy of ClarisWorks 5 that I managed to upgrade all the way to AppleWorks 6.2.2) but it is definitely a good tool.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2002, 12:44 PM

I don't know, about a month ago I decided I was going to stop using AW and start using Word. I launched and it crashed. True story. It just seemed like an omen or something. The only thing I have found Word useful for is the preset label formatting feature for Avery Business Cards. I made some up last week, and was satisfied with Word's performance. Aside from that, I will continue to use AW and I'm looking forward to some real improvements in the next release.

Addendum: Oh wait! I am also using a really old Classic app called Lexis that allows me to do online research. I have found that I can d/l my docs into Word v.X as Word Text Document.

What's funny is that it is such an old piece of software that my only choices for a Mac WP app are MacWrite II, or MacWrite Pro. I am glad that I can still continue to use it with a current app even if it is Word.

Unfortunately, however, even though I have changed my default margins in Word to .2" Top and .2" Bottom, for some reason when I d/l stuff to it, it always goes back to 1" and 1" respectively (I need it to be .2 and .2 for the page breaks to be in the right place). I am not sure why that happens b/c if I am in Word and just create a new doc, the margins are .2 and .2.

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: TonyRado ]

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2002, 03:07 PM

Unfortunately, lately I've been using Office. It's just overall better. AppleWorks 6 sucks. 5 was great. What happened?

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by EmAn:
<STRONG>Unfortunately, lately I've been using Office. It's just overall better. AppleWorks 6 sucks. 5 was great. What happened?</STRONG>
Apple bought it and thought they could take on MS with an office suite.

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Mar 29, 2002, 03:15 PM

<STRONG>Unfortunately, lately I've been using Office. It's just overall better. AppleWorks 6 sucks. 5 was great. What happened?</STRONG>
They carbonized it and ****ed it up large.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2002, 04:47 PM

Apple didn't make it the Carbon dogfood app, that's what.

Had they done so, they would have been forced to put some actual effort into the port to Carbon, and we'd have had a great app.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

boots
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2002, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by TonyRado:
<STRONG>
Unfortunately, however, even though I have changed my default margins in Word to .2" Top and .2" Bottom, for some reason when I d/l stuff to it, it always goes back to 1" and 1" respectively (I need it to be .2 and .2 for the page breaks to be in the right place). I am not sure why that happens b/c if I am in Word and just create a new doc, the margins are .2 and .2.

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: TonyRado ]</STRONG>
Tony,
The default only sets new documents. Essentially, there is a template document in the office-shared/template folder called Normal. This is a blank word document that has the default stuff set in it. If you don't use this document to start, the program has no idea what "default" even means. It also has all of your custom styles and macros in it. You'll find that if someone else gives you a document, you will have to import the custom styles and macro's before you can use them.

In otherwords, the document itself sets the "default" for that document.

Probably not the clearest explanation, but I hope you get the point: "defaults" don't change anything on an imported doc.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules