Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > what does your screen name mean?

what does your screen name mean?
C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2002, 09:34 PM

there's some interesting names floating around macnn forums. some are self-explanetory , some illusive (ellusive?). anyone care to discuss theirs.

guess i'll start. mine's pretty simple; C33 was Oscar Wilde's prison name ... cell 33.

as for the pretty picture, that's just my quirky sense of humor

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: C33 ]

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2002, 09:43 PM

I actually joined because I didn't know much tech stuff and so decided on the name. Of course back then I didn't know I'd lurk around the lounge most of the time and a "cooler" name would have been more suitable, you could say I was ignorant, which I still am.

climber
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2002, 09:50 PM

Favorite passtime= Alpine Mountaineering and technical rock Climbing. Also into hunting, skiing and cycling.
climber

Qhris
Mar 31, 2002, 09:54 PM

I came up with "Qhris" years ago. I wanted to use "Chris" , but guess what? It and some variation on the theme were in use by some odd 10,000 other "Chris" folks. Phonetically, The stand alone "Q" is the same as the hard "K" or "C" sounds... so I gave it a try and BOOM! instant hit. I had found an original - and besides, I'm too lazy to come up with something else.

Q
There's time enough, but none to spare.

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2002, 10:13 PM

It is the name of my old website.

Velocity Channel (www.velocitychannel.com)
1995 - 2002

*sniff* Excuse me. I need a tissue.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2002, 10:16 PM

"Hmm" thinks I, "I might join these forums".

Clicks on <Register>.

Name "Mr. Happy" already taken. Damn.

Tries "Thin Ice".

Email address already registered. Damn.

Gets new email address.

Name "Thin Ice" already taken. Bugger.

Tries "Stark"

Gets another new email address.

Name "Stark" already taken. Damn.

Tries "Slasher the Clown".

Gets yet another new email address.

<Later that day...>

Tries "Face Ache" off the top of my head. Works! Thinks "don't like Face Ache name but not going to try again. This will do."

Face Ache was an English comic book character around 1974.

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2002, 10:19 PM

im chinese american but im about as chinese as the president of the united states. (had to think of someone everyone would know thats not chinese.) anyway, many of you know that FOB is an acronym for Fresh Off the Boat meaning new immigrants, usually refering to people from asia. any of my friends that spoke their native asian language i refered to as FOBs. for some reason i thought it was funny to use the phrase "fobside" all the time. its past its funniness but its still a good screen name for online because most of the time its not taken...i wonder why.

buyanyware
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2002, 10:24 PM

Anyware Distribution, is a company I used to work for. It was the sole US distributor for Astarte products (back in the early Toast, DVDirector days- before Toast was bought by Adaptec, and DVDirector bought by Apple) I set up buyanyware at aol.com as a sales tool, hence ' Buy Anyware'.

My newer screen name is Fiercewill. This one is more self explanatory - I've got a Fierce will. The girls tend to like this one better too.
"It's one thing when his head shakes when he's sitting down. When his head shakes when he's standing up, you know he's angry." -- Legislator speaking about Gov. Ventura of Minnesota

Sealobo
Mar 31, 2002, 10:30 PM

the pronuncion of "Seal-lobo" in chinese is like "mather fooker" in english.

It's not Sea-Lobo... its SEALobo..."SEAL-LO-BO"~!

Have been using this name for like 5 years... can't remember how it started...

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: sealobo ]

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2002, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by fobside:
<STRONG>im chinese american but im about as chinese as the president of the united states. </STRONG>
So you're as Chinese as apple pie?
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2002, 10:53 PM

Mine comes from from my old website, macgorilla.com

No sniffs, no regrets. It was tough to find a niche not taken by a bizzillion other Mac websites so I dropped it. My registration just expired a few months ago so the name is wild and free.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2002, 11:06 PM

There was one of these threads about a month back right?

Well, whatever.

This was my starcraft screen name. I choose it cus I had just learned binary, or how it works, and I wanted something that really looked binaryish, so I wanted it to have repeating ones in places, and zeroes. But not too many, and wanted it still to look random. I really like symetry so 11011011 was cool, but it looks funny, so add an extra 0 and it looks random, kinda symetrical, and has just the right number of 1's and 0's. Indeed in the right order, 1's before 0's cus 1's look better that way. Um, you want to know what the numerical value is... lets see, 1 = 1, 1000 = 8, 10000 = 16, 1000000 = 64, 10000000 = 128. This is of course an unsigned char...

Um, add those numbers up and you get 217, which bears no signifigence at all. Favorite number is 64 btw. I could look up the ASCI value, but I don't feel like referencing .pdf's when I already look like a massive geek.

Uh, ya, then it became my hacker alias, and then my forum alias all over the place including here.

Besides, it is the most original name I could possibly come up with. No one, no one in the world has my name!! I am unique, and until I did this, I did not see any other guys with 8-bit names. There was some guy in this forume I think who had a binary name. Maybe he borrowed mine. Well whatever. I have been using this for like 2 and a half years.

You should see the face of the guy at laser quest when I give him my codename. See his eyes glaze over with the thought LOSER on the tip of his tongue.

neon volcano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2002, 11:07 PM

Mine comes from a dream I had about a volcano spewing out rivers of blue lava.

The Mouth Of William Burroughs
Mar 31, 2002, 11:08 PM

Play it all, play it all, play it all back!
Pay it all, pay it all, pay it all back!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2002, 11:15 PM

I could have sworn I already posted here...or in a similar thread...
anyway
simple
SOLID-Pays homage to the great SOLIDSnake of Metal Gear fame
and Age-is what my friends call me, it's a nick name for A.J.

kaceygones
Senior User
Mar 31, 2002, 11:20 PM

When I was trying to think of something unique, I tried to think of other names I would have picked for myself and "Casey" was always at the top of my list, so I decided to find a famous Casey to use, but the only one I could think of was Casey Jones, the train engineer. Then I got a little creative...
Casey Jones was a man and I wanted a way to make my screen name more feminine, so I changed the spelling of Casey to kacey--five letters starting with a "k" just like my real name. Then I changed Jones to gones--five letters starting with a "g" just like my last name and I ended up with a screen name that will NEVER be taken by someone else and it's unique to only me.

The only problem is people read it as a hard "G" like goat and I still get confused for a guy, but I like it.
kacey

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2002, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by SillyMonk:
<STRONG>So you're as Chinese as apple pie?</STRONG>
you know it!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2002, 11:32 PM

scaught is the spelling that a dear friend used once when addressing an email to me. i just sorta liked it and its easier to register than "scott". i cant think of anything any more interesting than that so its all you get. deal with it.

Grozni Majmun
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 11:49 PM

Mine means something like 'horrid monkey' in Serbian and Croatian. I am learning those at the moment. In the beginning (around the time when I registered) we did a lot of animal names. I really wanted 'terrible cat' but that requires some special letters, and I figured they'd get screwed up on the message boards, so I stuck with this one.

clRagnarok
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 11:55 PM

"cl" = my initials

"ragnarok" = Norse end of the world (it literally means Doom of the Gods)
c l R a g n a r o k

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 12:26 AM

I collect the animaton cels used to make cartoons, so...

cel gallery = cellery

Plus the domain name wasn't taken and I was able to register every online account with the handle.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2002, 02:33 PM

It's just my name. So you'll remember me as well as family heh. Philthy already has habit of calling me Baston.

Ok, real reason is because I've used so many other aliases in the last 10+ years, this is the only one I'm sure to remember. You ever have the 'what was the login and pass for this site again? From 3 years ago?' experience? I decided to end that drudgery decisively.

db
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Grozni Majmun:
<STRONG>Mine means something like 'horrid monkey' in Serbian and Croatian. I am learning those at the moment. In the beginning (around the time when I registered) we did a lot of animal names. I really wanted 'terrible cat' but that requires some special letters, and I figured they'd get screwed up on the message boards, so I stuck with this one.</STRONG>
I speak moderately fluent Bulgarian and that name actually does make sense to me. However, the literal translation comes out to "Ugly Monkey." You could have used "Diva Kotka," which translates loosely into wildcat (more literally, 'crazy cat'). Either way, you've got a name that should stay quite unique.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

iBong
Banned
Apr 1, 2002, 03:09 PM

i got iBong from when i used to be erdletheturtle or what ever my old nick was... i got banned alot... i made a picture of the iBong and PowerBong THen After I Got Banned From Them i made this nick up iBong..... I was looking at the picture i made of the iBong and i was like YES! i got a new nick... it shall be iBong ......

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2002, 03:26 PM

Mine is a Shakespearean character who is quoted in my sig. Between Shakespeare and Monty Python's Flying Circus, the English have contributed mightly to Western Civilization (or what's left of it).

BTW, anyone here read Shakespeare's "Gay Boys in Bondage"?

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: malvolio ]
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>Mine is a Shakespearean character who is quoted in my sig. Between Shakespeare and Monty Python's Flying Circus, the English have contributed mightly to Western Civilization (or what's left of it).

BTW, anyone here read Shakespeare's "Gay Boys in Bondage"?

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: malvolio ]</STRONG>
Yup! One of his best plays. Even better than Hamlet. It was the climax of his literary skill. Unfortunately it is one of his least quoted works.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 04:21 PM

Scrod is a cool-sounding word.
I abused my signature until she cried.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2002, 06:12 PM

"wataru" is a Japanese male first name that literally means "to cross" (as in a river or an ocean or something like that). I've been using it as my internet alias ever since I chose it randomly from a list for use in my junior high Japanese class.

You can see it written with one of the Japanese phonetic "alphabets," hiragana, in my sig.

C33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Scrod:
<STRONG>Scrod is a cool-sounding word.</STRONG>
yes it certainly is.... is it short for Scroddum? cause i remember when momma use to say "Boy stop scratchin yer scroddum or it'll get 'nfecteded."

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: C33 ]

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2002, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by C33:
<STRONG>

yes it certainly is.... i remember when momma use to say "Boy stop scratchin yer Scrod or it'll get 'fected."</STRONG>

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2002, 08:58 PM

YankeeFoxtrotLima1331 turn to 2-3-0 reduce speed to 180. Cleared for VFR approach after the outer marker.

Obvious?

p.s. I love my new iMac!
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 09:05 PM

I too had registration problems here, all my usual handles wouldn't work: InsomniacRB, RABIDChihuaha, and other variations on those. And my initials are RAB, but RGB sounds so much better...that whole red, blue, green thing. So RGB it is.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2002, 09:46 PM

My new snowboard is a K2 A-star and it has a big red star in the middle.... it is a thing of beauty

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Apr 1, 2002, 09:50 PM

"My hot dog has a first najme it's H-O-M-E-R, my hot dog has a second name it's H-O-M-E-R"

Mike

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 10:20 PM

mac = macintosh

thelastredman = my last name is redman and i am the last male in my family
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

cheerios
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2002, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by Cellery:
<STRONG>I collect the animaton cels used to make cartoons, so...

cel gallery = cellery

Plus the domain name wasn't taken and I was able to register every online account with the handle. </STRONG>
dude, which is that wallpaper in the link to your sig from? I JUST watched ALL 26 epsiodes of Cowboy Bebob yesterday (I've been sick), and that looks like the chick that Spike likes, but I'm not sure... nice, anyway
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 04:40 AM

This has actually been a very interesting thread to read. Anyway, read the opening paragraph here to understand mine: http://liquidswift.da.ru

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

dgs212
Senior User
Apr 2, 2002, 05:02 AM

This is easy and boring...

My initials are dgs (first name: david, middle & last name withheld for reasons of nerdiness and unpronunciablity, respectively).

212 is my current area code (I got ho's...).

I'll be moving to boston soon, and, sadly, dgs617 doesn't have quite the same ring to it. I've been thinking of switching to dgsba, in acknowledgement of my recent acquisition of a Bachelor of Arts degree from NYU (no major, individualized study, concentration in visual art, thesis on the effect of technology on art).

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2002, 06:54 AM

Theolein means little Theo in German, which I'm not and I'm not
weird wabbit

v0id7
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 08:26 AM

grr, this was discussed before... check the forums search for a thread called "Explain you name and sig"
_______void_______

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2002, 10:04 AM

This is a regular thread. I've seen it (or it's incarnations) at least five times since I registered. But it's fun to participate in 'cause it's rarely the same people that post.

My name is derived from something my friends called me in highschool.

It has a nice ring to it, too.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

spb
Banned
Apr 2, 2002, 10:21 AM

super perfect being

or

stupid pathetic bullshitter

hopefully something in between..

Nyuni
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2002, 02:12 PM

Well, I've got this thing with anything that flies and also with African wildlife. So...

Nyuni = "Bird" in Swahili.

Airplanes and aviation, of course, are included in that group. Wanna give a shout out to Glideslope!
The Quintessential Featherhead.

C33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2002, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by v0id7:
<STRONG>grr, this was discussed before... check the forums search for a thread called "Explain you name and sig"</STRONG>
and if you had read the thread you'd have noticed that other people have already pointed that out. so there was really no need to post the above. redundancy happens.

just lighten up.

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: C33 ]

ringo
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2002, 02:53 PM

Well, I was thinking about the movie Ringu when I signed up, but Ringo had a better sound. Nothing special really... and nothing to do with a certain drummer at all.

iBabo
Senior User
Apr 2, 2002, 03:06 PM

babo is the nickname that my friends came up with for my name...i would later find out from someone on the boards that babo also means "stupid" in korean.....ohh welll......my real name is "babken"(pronounced BOB-KIN) so my friends started calling me Babo. and the i is there from the time when everything in exsistance had an "i" in front of it (iClock, iPaq, iBook )
smile like you mean it.

fearman111
Apr 2, 2002, 05:10 PM

It's a nickname I got from scaring this kid at a job every chance I got, and 111 is a lucky number from an old address. It was a golden age at 111 Spadina Avenue...

fm111

beb
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 05:19 PM

It apparently means that I'm one letter short of a major clothing label.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 05:37 PM

I'm just shy of getting my Masters degree in Molecular Biology, and the other Bio folks in the building call our lab the "Gene Jockeys". So I decided to use it. Yep, just that interesting...

The Faygo in the sig...well, that's just because you haven't lived until you've had Faygo Redpop. Preferably while watching the Red Wings play...

--J

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2002, 11:51 PM

Ever since I got my dp800 I've been known to flame really easily on mac bashers, they always call me a mac zealot so I took the name

besides, it's the first time in ages it doesn't have my real name inside

In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules