Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > freezing screensaver

freezing screensaver
BGK
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 12:59 PM

I'm having a problem with whatever screensaver I use in OS X. About once a day now it freezes and locks up the whole machine. Anyone else have this problem, or can offer any solutions?

Running: G4 Powerbook, 400 mhz. OS X ver. 10.1.3.
I want the ability to sleep in the snow, if I have to. I want the ability to want to.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2002, 01:52 PM

Yea, I gotta solution ---- Don't use a screensaver.

No, really - Set your energy setting so your display goes to sleep at a certain time. I've had nothing but trouble with screensavers.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Mar 31, 2002, 04:30 PM

Oops, double post. Why can't I delete posts when I can alter them to say meaningless drivel like this?

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: kennethmac2000 ]

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Mar 31, 2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by BGK:
<STRONG>I'm having a problem with whatever screensaver I use in OS X. About once a day now it freezes and locks up the whole machine. Anyone else have this problem, or can offer any solutions?

Running: G4 Powerbook, 400 mhz. OS X ver. 10.1.3.</STRONG>
Have you got it set to ask for a password?

I know that it goes into spinning beachball mode for a minute or two when the mouse is moved/a key pressed if it is set to ask for a password and you've got a network interface up but not connected to the Internet (or wherever your name servers are). Presumably this is because it is performing some sort of NetInfo operation but this should be unnecessary if you are only using a local NetInfo database.

BGK  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:
<STRONG>

Have you got it set to ask for a password?

I know that it goes into spinning beachball mode for a minute or two when the mouse is moved/a key pressed if it is set to ask for a password and you've got a network interface up but not connected to the Internet (or wherever your name servers are). Presumably this is because it is performing some sort of NetInfo operation but this should be unnecessary if you are only using a local NetInfo database.</STRONG>
Nope, no password. This is, by the way, using the standard Apple screensavers, such as Beach, Cosmos, and what have you. I'm on a desktop machine right now, so I haven't had a chance to play with the Powerbook too much since last night when I ran a defrag on it - unsure if that will help at all.
I want the ability to sleep in the snow, if I have to. I want the ability to want to.

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by BGK:
<STRONG> I'm on a desktop machine right now, so I haven't had a chance to play with the Powerbook too much since last night when I ran a defrag on it - unsure if that will help at all.</STRONG>
My TiBook does the same thing. Any screensaver locks it up, every time. I just stopped using one, but I would sure like to know how to fix it

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2002, 10:35 PM

This happens to me as well. I used to activate the screensaver when I went away, but after a couple of times of getting the spinning wheel of death, I stopped using them. Shame too, b/c the screensavers are wonderful to look at...But now I just have my monitor set to turn off after 10 minutes.

BTW the screensaver wouldn't lock up every time, but most of the time, especially when left on for a long period of time.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2002, 11:18 PM

[obligatory post] I've never had any problem with screensavers in OSX on my Ti400, Ti667 or iMac600 whether using passwords or not. I love OSX screensavers [/obligatory post]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules