Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Post your problems/issues with OSX 10.2 (final)

Post your problems/issues with OSX 10.2 (final)
Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 12:33 PM

Once you've got the final version of 10.2 installed (be it now or Aug 24), please post any problems or issues you experience with the new OS.

The most significant issue I've found is the lack of support for CDRW drives. Apparently, 10.2 eliminates support for many of the CDRW drives currently supported under 10.1.5. I have three Macs, and while disk burning is supported in the OS for all three under 10.1.5, only one of the three is supported under 10.2. One of the two [now] unsupported drives is a Lite-On 32X CDRW, and I believe the other one may be a Lite-On 40X CDRW (but I'm not certain of that).
( Last edited by Ken_F2; Aug 6, 2002 at 02:24 AM. )

prolix
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2002, 01:28 PM

well i'm installing 6c115 as i type this on my ibook and once thing i've noticed is the insane amount of time it takes to install. its saying over 2 hours right now.

has anyone else run into this? i may install it on my g4 after the ibook depending on how it goes. then i can try out some of the slick rendevous stuff

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 4, 2002, 01:32 PM

Want to pick up a copy of Mac OS X 10.2 (aka Jaguar) now? Order it from CompUSA for the low-low price of just $82,402.02 -- check it out:

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=295690
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

prolix
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2002, 01:40 PM

heh, quite a typo there...

anyway, it appears taht whatever determines install time is on crack. shortly after i posted it dropped from 2 hours 10 mins to 1 hour and now its down to 18 mintes.. and now to 7 mins.

eizzumdm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2002, 02:05 PM

I have a "friend" that installed 6c115 on his PM G4 500, and he noticed a few gotchas after installation

Very likely these ploblems will be fixed by the time of Jaguar's August 24 release. So my posting them here is not a complaint against any of the authors of these wonderful programs, just a heads up for anyone installing Jaguar.

Haxies: My friend cannot get the following Haxies to work at all: LiteSwitch 1.0.1, FruitMenu 2.0, WeatherPop 1.3.5

Weird behaviors: The following is unconfirmed and needs more extensive testing by others, but it could potentially be a big deal. Proportionally constrained resizing of objects by shift-dragging of corners does not work in InDesign 2.0.1, Illustrator 10.0.1, Photoshop 7.0, or Macromedia Freehand 10.0.1.67. It does still work with Flash MX.

Uncertified: As usual all of the Apple pro video products are uncertified to work with 10.2/QT 6. If you use FCP or DVDSP on a regular basis, don't install 10.2 on your main partition until Apple gives the "all clear" and/or provides an update.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2002, 02:29 PM

A couple things so far

apple remote desktop doesn't work

throttled (gnu) doesn't work

users in ftpchroot can not ftp in

and Carracho server crashes every 5 min

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2002, 02:30 PM

Who said that 6C115 is final?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Pale Rider
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2002, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by eizzumdm:

Haxies: My friend cannot get the following Haxies to work at all: LiteSwitch 1.0.1, FruitMenu 2.0, WeatherPop 1.3.5
LiteSwitch seems to work fine from what I have seen. Perhaps your friend has something else going on.

rw
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2002, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by moki:
Want to pick up a copy of Mac OS X 10.2 (aka Jaguar) now? Order it from CompUSA for the low-low price of just $82,402.02 -- check it out:

It's also listed under Software >> Operating Systems >> PC Compatible (as are OS/2 and Linux). Wonder what that's supposed to mean.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by starman:

Mike
6C115 is final.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2002, 02:50 PM

Mike
"Once you've got the final version of 10.2 installed (be it now or Aug 24), please post any problems or issues you experience with the new OS."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by piracy:

6C115 is final.
Says WHO?

It's all speculation until Apple posts something official. They did it for 10.1:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001...macosx_gm.html

Until Apple says so, 6C115 is still a GM CANDIDATE. Even MacMinute and ThinkSecret retracted their statements:

" Jaguar goes Gold
August 1 - 19:55 ET Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar has reached Golden Master (GM) status, developer sources inform MacMinute. GM was reached with build 6C115, whose code is now frozen and will be used for duplication. Mac OS X 10.2 spans three discs and will be available August 24. Update: There is some confusion as to whether 6C115 is in fact the GM or simply a GM candidate. We are currently looking this. "

If 6C115 becomes gold, that's fine, but calling it GM is the premature ejaculation of a bunch of Mac fanboys that saw the word "GM" and didn't see the next word that said "candidate".

Mike

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 03:16 PM

Says WHO?

It's all speculation until Apple posts something official. They did it for 10.1:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001...macosx_gm.html

Until Apple says so, 6C115 is still a GM CANDIDATE. Even MacMinute and ThinkSecret retracted their statements:

" Jaguar goes Gold
August 1 - 19:55 ET Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar has reached Golden Master (GM) status, developer sources inform MacMinute. GM was reached with build 6C115, whose code is now frozen and will be used for duplication. Mac OS X 10.2 spans three discs and will be available August 24. Update: There is some confusion as to whether 6C115 is in fact the GM or simply a GM candidate. We are currently looking this. "

If 6C115 becomes gold, that's fine, but calling it GM is the premature ejaculation of a bunch of Mac fanboys that saw the word "GM" and didn't see the next word that said "candidate".

Mike
And they didn't issue a press release for 10.0. Apple doesn't have to issue a press release when something goes GM.

6C115 was a GM candidate. IT WAS ACCEPTED AS GM. Can you wrap your brain around that? The only reason MacMinute even printed that is because "Maury" at Raihhead printed some BS about 6C116 and how we'd see "117 or 118" before the GM. Well, as usual, he's completely full of it. Even he has now retracted his statements. The funniest part about Railhead is they said that 6C116 was seeded. That's laughable, because there is no 6C116.

6C115 has was accepted as the GM days ago; it's done...almost ancient history now. You'll see on the 24th, just like I told everyone for the last release we had on the 24th...17 months prior.
( Last edited by piracy; Aug 4, 2002 at 03:25 PM. )

Moose
Senior User
Aug 4, 2002, 03:21 PM

But wait! Ken_F2 told me that 6C106 was GM. My world is crashing down all around me!

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2002, 03:24 PM

The only problem I have is that because ONE web site calls it GM, everyone thinks it is, without realizing that the word "Candidate" was in the .pdf. That was BEFORE this supposed "finalization" of 6C115 being called GM Gold.

People are so starved for something interesting to talk about that they don't realize that they might be wrong.

I never said that 6C115 wasn't GM Gold, I said it wasn't YET. Nobody knows for sure if there's going to be a 6C118. Apple could find something at the last minute, but nobody cares.

Whatever. I mean, if 6C115 turns out to be Gold I'm sure people will say I'm wrong, but I never said that it wasn't Gold...all I said was that people were jumping to conclusions TOO FAST.

Now I wonder how many people are installing this developer build thinking it's the same gold master that the stores will get.

Mike

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 03:30 PM

The only problem I have is that because ONE web site calls it GM, everyone thinks it is, without realizing that the word "Candidate" was in the .pdf. That was BEFORE this supposed "finalization" of 6C115 being called GM Gold.

People are so starved for something interesting to talk about that they don't realize that they might be wrong.

I never said that 6C115 wasn't GM Gold, I said it wasn't YET. Nobody knows for sure if there's going to be a 6C118. Apple could find something at the last minute, but nobody cares.

Whatever. I mean, if 6C115 turns out to be Gold I'm sure people will say I'm wrong, but I never said that it wasn't Gold...all I said was that people were jumping to conclusions TOO FAST.
Mike, you are generally correct. But in this case, you're wrong about one thing: the GM has already been declared (regardless of what rumor/news sites do or don't say). Yes, the only "official" info out there is that 6C115 is a GM candidate; Apple has not stated whether 6C115 is GM. However, 6C115, *is* GM; the decision has already been made. And yes, you're correct that if major problems are uncovered, there could be more builds. That's always true when there's a gap between GM acceptance and ship. However, the chances of anything happening to change the fact that 6C115 is GM are unlikely. If that happened, GM would have to be *revoked* on 6C115, which is very unlikely, but possible - Apple did it with Mac OS 8.1. Anyway, I think your larger point is that if people want to be sure, wait until the 24th. Always good advice. My larger point however is this: 6C115 is GM, it's been accepted and declared, and everything is revolving around 6C115. There are no builds beyond 6C115 at this time. The decision has been made.

Now I wonder how many people are installing this developer build thinking it's the same gold master that the stores will get.
It is the same gold master that stores will get. Please don't start this again. There's nothing different about versions developers get. At all.
( Last edited by piracy; Aug 4, 2002 at 03:43 PM. )

Ken_F2  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 03:48 PM

But wait! Ken_F2 told me that 6C106 was GM. My world is crashing down all around me!
Yes, my early prediction about 6C106 was certainly off. I was wrong, I admit it. For once. (the being wrong, of course)

cowerd
Senior User
Aug 4, 2002, 04:00 PM

buzzkill piracy

Now all we need is Kosmo to chime in claiming that the 6C115 at the Apple Store is faster than the 6C115 he d/l'ed from Carracho or Hotline.

I predict 10.2 GM is 4K83...
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 04:08 PM

Once again, the unwashed masses think they know everything that goes on at 1-Infinite.

I guess I should be grateful at least we're not debating that there are *two* 115's out there...

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
I guess I should be grateful at least we're not debating that there are *two* 115's out there...
Oh give it time...I'm sure it will happen.

"The retail boxed version might have the same build number, but all the debug code is removed and Apple engineered it so that the MD5 checksum of both CD images just happens to be the same* just to confuse all the MacNN forum posters!!"

* Mathematically impossible to do with two different files that large. No one currently knows how to modify or recreate a set of data without effectively changing it's MD5 checksum.

eizzumdm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2002, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Pale Rider:

LiteSwitch seems to work fine from what I have seen. Perhaps your friend has something else going on.
Interesting. My friend tried installing LiteSwitch under c106 and again under c115, and in both cases, command-tabbing reverted back to the Finder's default behavior of shadowing icons in the dock instead of LiteSwitch's nifty pop-up window.

Another cosmetic bug in the Finder under c115: The "Restart..." and "Shutdown..." warning dialogs still use the Aqua theme even when the Graphite theme is the selected appearance preference.

Also, let's not subvert this thread into another argument about the semantics of whether c115 is the version that will be shrinkwrapped and placed on store shelves August 24. Even if c115 is not the GM, but just a final candidate, the problems that we are bringing to light in this thread are unlikely to go away before then. This could be a really interesting thread if we keep the signal to noise ratio high.

Finally, I deeply apologize; however, I am not able to honor any requests to provide a copy of c115. I'm sure you can find other means of obtaining it (look for locked threads in the MacNN forums).

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 04:26 PM

Interesting. My friend tried installing LiteSwitch under c106 and again under c115, and in both cases, command-tabbing reverted back to the Finder's default behavior of shadowing icons in the dock instead of LiteSwitch's nifty pop-up window.
LiteSwitch X works if you use a key combination other than command-tab to invoke it.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2002, 04:31 PM

Well.. Some programs will definately need some fixing up for Jag. Carracho is very unstable, Proteus has a bug where the "1 Message" thing in the drawer doesn't seem to get updated properly, and Acquisition has a lot of bugs under Jag.

One thing I've noticed is that the highlight colour is differen't. It's kinda hard to explain.... Simply selecting the text is the same as 10.1, but say your using Acquisition, and you click on the "downloads" menu in the drawer. The highlight colour is very dark.. much darker then what my preferences are set at. Anyone else have this? It's not annoying really... But depending on the colour, sometimes text is unreadable.

Other then that.. everything is great. A few features I'm surprised didn't make it in. Spring Loaded folders do NOT work in the dock. This is dissapointing. Also, you can't close windows from the dock! Save/Open dialogue boxes seem as bad as ever..

moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2002, 04:32 PM

Mike, you are generally correct. But in this case, you're wrong about one thing: the GM has already been declared (regardless of what rumor/news sites do or don't say). Yes, the only "official" info out there is that 6C115 is a GM candidate; Apple has not stated whether 6C115 is GM. However, 6C115, *is* GM; the decision has already been made. And yes, you're correct that if major problems are uncovered, there could be more builds. That's always true when there's a gap between GM acceptance and ship. However, the chances of anything happening to change the fact that 6C115 is GM are unlikely. If that happened, GM would have to be *revoked* on 6C115, which is very unlikely, but possible - Apple did it with Mac OS 8.1. Anyway, I think your larger point is that if people want to be sure, wait until the 24th. Always good advice. My larger point however is this: 6C115 is GM, it's been accepted and declared, and everything is revolving around 6C115. There are no builds beyond 6C115 at this time. The decision has been made.

It is the same gold master that stores will get. Please don't start this again. There's nothing different about versions developers get. At all.
115 is a CANDIDATE for the GM. Just because it is a CANDIDATE does NOT mean it is the GM!! There are 50 CANDIDATES for Miss America every year but only one get to be her. You see what I'm getting at?

Lastly, Why the F%$# does everyone care so much about which is the GM? The final will be out on Aug 24th. Get it then!
My pants are fancier than yours!

moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2002, 04:35 PM

Even if this does end up being the GM you know they alway change shite after that. There's a big difference between GM and final.
My pants are fancier than yours!

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by moss514:

115 is a CANDIDATE for the GM. Just because it is a CANDIDATE does NOT mean it is the GM!! There are 50 CANDIDATES for Miss America every year but only one get to be her. You see what I'm getting at?
Yes. It was a candidate for GM. And it became GM. Do you see what I'm getting at? This was the Miss California that won. Your logic amuses me: because it's a candidate, it can't possibly have been accepted as GM...it has to be something else!(*^#

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by moss514:

Even if this does end up being the GM you know they alway change shite after that. There's a big difference between GM and final.
You couldn't be more wrong. Guess you must have not been around for the whole 4K78 fiasco.*

For Apple's products, and generally speaking (without regard to what MacOSRumors says), GM == Final. There will be no changes between GM and Final, because GM *is* Final. If changes are made, the build number will no longer be 6C115.

* In case you missed it, that was the one where it was proven, categorically, beyond a shadow of any doubt, that the Mac OS X Developer Release Candidate 4K78 (which was subsequently accepted as GM) and the retail boxed 4K78 release some 2.5 weeks later were exactly bit-for-bit identical (which, of course, makes perfect sense since the whole purpose of build numbers is to uniquely identify single, individual builds). And people still didn't believe it.
( Last edited by piracy; Aug 4, 2002 at 04:47 PM. )

eizzumdm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2002, 05:00 PM

LiteSwitch X works if you use a key combination other than command-tab to invoke it.
You are correct sir!!! Switching from Apple-Tab to Option-Tab allowed LiteSwitch to function as intended. Thank you, piracy.

Also, thank you, Steve Bosell, for the warning on Apple Remote Desktop.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 05:06 PM

So you guys couldn't like, constrain the build number argument to the other three threads? Just bug reports in here would be nice, thanks.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 05:11 PM

Also, thank you, Steve Bosell, for the warning on Apple Remote Desktop.
There will be an update for ARD that adds compatibility with 10.2.

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
So you guys couldn't like, constrain the build number argument to the other three threads? Just bug reports in here would be nice, thanks.
Not as long as people keep posting incorrect information here.

abbie1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2002, 05:12 PM

not sure if this applies to anyone but has anyone tried to use MySQL on 10.2?

Scrod
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 12:37 AM

* Mathematically impossible to do with two different files that large. No one currently knows how to modify or recreate a set of data without effectively changing it's MD5 checksum.
Well, it's not impossible--extremely improbable, but not impossible. MD5 outputs a 128-bit (16 byte) checksum, so to do a "birthday attack", the run time would be no longer than C*3.403x10^38, where C is how long it takes to run MD5 once on the given data set. So you now have two pieces of data that generate the same MD5 checksum. What are the chances that they both end up being a working Mac OS X 10.2 installation disk image? That, I think, would be impossible.

pmcd
Senior User
Aug 5, 2002, 01:50 AM

6C115 is final.
Does everything work (spring-loaded folders, windowshade in place, etc..) ? I assume they wouldn't ship somethig with those not working (or whichever utilities come with the OS).

philip

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2002, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by pmcd:
[B]Does everything work (spring-loaded folders, windowshade in place, etc..) ? I assume they wouldn't ship somethig with those not working (or whichever utilities come with the OS)./B]
From what I've heard, window-let (or windowshade in place as you call it) isn't there in Jaguar

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 5, 2002, 03:20 AM

Well the system sounds don't all work in 6C115, nor does FTP'ing from the Finder, There is still some highlight bugs going on.. and a few other things. I don't think it's GM, but I could be wrong.

abbie1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2002, 03:29 AM

my build 115 is working fine, i have my ftp on my desktop, the systems work � like when you throw something away you can hear it hit the bottom of the trash can. windowshade by unsanity was actually messing up my system i guess its not compiled for 10.2.

but if this isnt the GM its still great, super fast, finally got my ftp on the desktop and ichat isnt all that bad, mail is great, the address is very nice, and sherlock is one tool i will use all the time.

i will use it to buy plane tickets and what not.

good job Apple

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 5, 2002, 04:42 AM

Honestly, no, it isn't that...
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Aug 5, 2002, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Well the system sounds don't all work in 6C115, nor does FTP'ing from the Finder, There is still some highlight bugs going on.. and a few other things. I don't think it's GM, but I could be wrong.
<throws something into the trash, hears thunk>

<loads up ftp.apple.com in the Finder, works fine>

<checks build number, says 6C115>

Nope, they both seem to be working.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 01:38 PM

6C115 is final.
Piracy,

What are you trying to tell us?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 01:49 PM

Yes. It was a candidate for GM. And it became GM. Do you see what I'm getting at? This was the Miss California that won. Your logic amuses me: because it's a candidate, it can't possibly have been accepted as GM...it has to be something else!(*^#
I really think Piracy is tryin to tell us someting.

I just can't quite decipher it....
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by pmcd:

Does everything work (spring-loaded folders, windowshade in place, etc..) ? I assume they wouldn't ship somethig with those not working (or whichever utilities come with the OS).

philip
Minimize-in-place didn't make the cut for 10.2. So no, it's not in there.

pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 02:10 PM

problems in particular installs do not equal "6c115 is not GM."
i look in your general direction

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by moki:

I was hoping Apple was going to do something about the price of Jagwire, but this is a bit extreme

crystalthunder
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2002, 02:15 PM

I want minimize in place...

::tear::
15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ w/ 128MB VRAM
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 02:30 PM

I don't think it's GM, but I could be wrong.
You are wrong.

Originally posted by crystalthunder:
I want minimize in place...
Well, it's not in 10.2.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 5, 2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Spirit_VW:
[B]

<throws something into the trash, hears thunk>
Wow system sounds for the trash. Is that all system sounds is going to make?

<loads up ftp.apple.com in the Finder, works fine>
What about other FTP sites? I have experienced and so have many other people major problems with this. Even ftp'ing to Apple is buggy.

<checks build number, says 6C115>

Nope, they both seem to be working.
Partially.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 5, 2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by pliny:

problems in particular installs do not equal "6c115 is not GM."
Err, I had no install problems. Clean installed. It's fine. 6C115 is just still a tad buggy.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2002, 03:09 PM

Desktop Picture cycling is a bit cpu intensive. Seems to bog down the machine as it's changing. Things studder a bit, as in typing, or opening a finder window pauses for a second during a crossfade.

that may just be the GeForce 2MX not doing a great job with QE.

???
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 03:12 PM

the problem is that money isn't growing on my back.

I bought 10.1 fully in november, and now I gotta pay it again.... it is "not so kind" of apple
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

cowerd
Senior User
Aug 5, 2002, 03:17 PM

zamphire:
try operator error on your part.

should read ftp://ftp.apple.com not afp://.ftp.apple.com
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Forum Links
Forum Rules