Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone got a sprint wireless card to work?

Anyone got a sprint wireless card to work?
forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 02:15 PM

I currently have sprint pcs and wanted to get a wireless card (pcmcia) to use the network from the car, ect.

I know many times the compatibility list does not say it supports macs, even though it really does.

Also maybe there are some drivers floating around that I missed.

I have heard people talk about wireless cards before, I just wanted to make a dedicated thread about all wireless cards (sprint mostly though). Mainly cause sprint lacks a bluetooth phones (which would be just as easy to connect to if they had one)

So, does anyone know of a good pcmcia card to use on any wireless network, mostly sprint's.

And if there will ever be a bluetooth phone add that
Thanks
Force

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 08:03 PM

If you have a Vision enabled phone, you do not need the card, just a cable ($20 at RadioShack.) OS X has all the drives built in and set up takes about 5 min. A quick google will give you all the settings, #777, etc. Unlimited transfer and speeds around 120k. Latency is horrible, but one doesn't expect to play UT2k3 with it.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

forcelite  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2003, 02:38 AM

thanks but I was really looking for a completely wireless solution.

I should have said that from the beginning.
Force

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 09:12 AM

Yeah, I have the Novatel Merlin C201 card running in my TiBook. I haven't tried it since upgrading to Panther, but I am still hopeful about it.

I found a .sit file on the web with instructions on how to use it on a Mac, along with a modem string file. Do a google for novatel.sit or email me and I will send it to you.

-- Jason

PS, the card has to be activated in a Windows machine before you can use it on the Mac. There is no way around this. If you get the card from a sprint store, you can get them to activate the card there for you. Also, someone has released drivers for the Sierra Wireless card that Sprint sells also. Look on versionTracker for more info.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 02:10 PM

nally posted by Tomster:
If you have a Vision enabled phone, you do not need the card, just a cable ($20 at RadioShack.) OS X has all the drives built in and set up takes about 5 min. A quick google will give you all the settings, #777, etc. Unlimited transfer and speeds around 120k. Latency is horrible, but one doesn't expect to play UT2k3 with it. [/QUOTE]

This set up works great for wireless surfing and there is no additional fees for surfing vs the wireless card. I have had a problem getting it to work with Panther. It worked great in 2.7 and 2.8. Any thoughts?

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 6, 2003, 01:01 AM

Sprint still works under Panther for me. Maybe you can delete your location and recreate it. For whatever reason, it made a difference which usb port I plugged it into. Also, sometimes I have to log out and log back in when using the Sprint location. It shouldn't make a difference, but it did.

Also, on this end, I did an archive and install of Panther instead of an upgrade. Hope it helps.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules