Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Selecting Second Optical Drive in iTunes for Burning

Selecting Second Optical Drive in iTunes for Burning
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 04:33 PM

I have a 48X combo drive in my second optical drivebay on my dual 1 GHz MDD. iTunes doesn't see this drive so I can't burn CDs from iTunes with this drive which sucks because the superdrive only burns at 8X. Anyone know a workaround? The drive is a samsung combo CD-R/DVD drive. It works fine in Toast.

Leonis
Senior User
Apr 28, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I have a 48X combo drive in my second optical drivebay on my dual 1 GHz MDD. iTunes doesn't see this drive so I can't burn CDs from iTunes with this drive which sucks because the superdrive only burns at 8X. Anyone know a workaround? The drive is a samsung combo CD-R/DVD drive. It works fine in Toast.
Go to XLR8YourMac.com....then go to the CD/DVD section....there are bunch of modified CD-RW plug ins for you to download.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I had a similar problem with a Lite-ON 48x CD-RW a while back...

It was finally recognised with 10.2.3 but up to then it was a real hassle...

What I did before 10.2.3 was have a delve in the System/Library/Diskrecording frameworks/versions/a/deviceplugins files, and picked out the closest device driver to my model of Lite-On drive I could find description wise...

I was luck any found one that was pretty close.

I then fired up Vi and Hexedit and changed the 'device name' that appeared throughout the driver to match the device name on my drive...

I then logged in as root, and replaced the 'old' driver with the new 'hacked' one... it basically fooled the system and the new drive worked like a dream for about 6 months...

May be worth a try...

Peace,

Marc

P.S. However I didn't have a 100% sucess ratio with the procedure. I also tried it on another machine and totally fscked the system when I tried to replace the old file... All hell broke loose and I had to do a clean install...

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Leonis:
Go to XLR8YourMac.com....then go to the CD/DVD section....there are bunch of modified CD-RW plug ins for you to download.
Thank you! This is exactly what I needed

Forum Links
Forum Rules