Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going Google Free?

Going Google Free?
Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2010, 11:24 PM

So, I've been thinking, as the war between Google and Apple begins rage, while part of me says I should stick with my Google email account, Google Calendar, Google Docs, etc.

The big thing for me is, I'd rather not loose out on push email, but at the same time I'm growing more and more uncomfortable with the idea that Google can read all my email and data mine it, since they're becoming progressively more and more of a bully.

Google Calendar is nice but not a huge deal. Google Docs I mostly use for storing things I've been writing at work, mostly it's a copy and paste into something when I'm not at my home computer.

So yah, what services would you guys recommend. I've actually switched my sears bar to Yahoo! I thought of doing Bing but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2010, 11:56 PM

Drink the cool-aid. Buy mobileme.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2010, 07:19 AM

Google doesn't 'read' your emails, if you equate reading with comprehending.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2010, 08:46 AM

The only Google product I use now is Chrome. I had massive password issues with Gmail and cancelled it. It was freaking annoying to have to change my password numerous times a week for some reason.

Plus, I find Bing much better.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2010, 09:13 AM

Say what you will about Bing, but it's definitely put Google on notice. It's not coincidental that the first real changes in years to Google's interface have come about in the past few months.

That said, I still use Google for the odd thing, but I've switched to Bing full time and am quite happy with it.

Still love me some Gmail though. But I'm looking forward to see what Microsoft has in store for the next Hotmail/Live update.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2010, 11:48 AM

Bing sucks. SO many web owners are unhappy with the fact that Bing doesn't crawl their sites because Bing doesn't think they're worth crawling (true). They also said it takes MONTHS to get to crawl your site (is this 1994?) and then if there's an error on it, they ignore it.

So while we're getting hits from Google and Yahoo 24/7, Bing hasn't hit us once. Lots of upset site owners about that. Read their forums.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2010, 09:47 PM

I have to admit I opened this thread just to see if Salty started his post with "so."

That said, I hate Bing as well.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2010, 09:54 PM

Still with hotmail, since 2000. No plans to leave either.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2010, 11:45 PM

I use Google Search and Google Maps. I avoided GMail due to the 'beta' tag, as i suspected that they could lock me in and start charging for it, which is what happened with iTools .

I am not interested in Google's other services.

At the end of the day, i still think Google offers the best search. The rest of their products/services.... meh.

Cheers

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I'm growing more and more uncomfortable with the idea that Google can read all my email
I've read some of your email. They're really boring.

imdaf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2010, 12:21 AM

And the docs you put up are pretty much yawners, too.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2010, 01:23 AM

Google has the best search IMO.

Plus if you google "everything apple" my blog still shows up first on Google. On Bing, sometimes it does, but sometimes it lists a .org site that took the name rather recently. The bastards...

I also use Gmail as my backup email for website signups, and I love Google Maps and Google Images.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2010, 03:39 AM

It's a good thing that there's competition in the search space. Bing isn't as good as Google but it's better than Microsoft's previous search initiatives.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2010, 08:23 AM

I notice Safari 5 has options for both Yahoo and Bing. Aren't they the same thing now, or am I just confused?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I notice Safari 5 has options for both Yahoo and Bing. Aren't they the same thing now, or am I just confused?
They both use different technologies and methods to crawl and search so short answer they are not the same.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2010, 01:43 PM

Is Yahoo still primarily a directory based service that uses a bot to supplement its results, or is it purely bot driven now?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 02:26 PM

Google it and find out.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2010, 02:34 PM

Too lazy right now

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
They both use different technologies and methods to crawl and search so short answer they are not the same.
What I was referring to was Microsoft's search deal with Yahoo, finalized last year. Anyways I found the press release. If Yahoo and Bing aren't the same yet, they will more or less be the same soon:

--

SUNNYVALE, Calif. & REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Microsoft (Nasdaq:MSFT – News) and Yahoo! (Nasdaq:YHOO – News) announced today that they have received clearance for their search agreement, without restrictions, from both the U.S. Department of Justice and the European Commission, and will now turn their attention to beginning the process of implementing the deal.

Implementation of the deal is expected to begin in the coming days and will involve transitioning Yahoo!’s algorithmic and paid search platforms to Microsoft, with Yahoo! becoming the exclusive relationship sales force for both companies’ premium search advertisers globally. Once the transition is completed, the companies’ unified search marketplace will deliver improved innovation for consumers, better volume and efficiency for advertisers and better monetization opportunities for web publishers through a platform that contains a larger pool of search queries.

“This breakthrough search alliance means Yahoo! can focus even more on our own innovative search experience,” said Yahoo! Chief Executive Officer Carol Bartz. “Yahoo! gets to do what we do best: combine our science and technology with compelling content to build personally relevant online experiences for our users and customers.”

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer concurred with Bartz’s assessment. “Although we are just at the beginning of this process, we have reached an exciting milestone,” Ballmer said. “I believe that together, Microsoft and Yahoo! will promote more choice, better value and greater innovation to our customers as well as to advertisers and publishers.”

Consumer Search Experience

Under terms of the agreement, which was announced in late July 2009, Microsoft will provide Yahoo! with the same search result listings available through Bing, and Yahoo! will innovate around those listings by integrating rich Yahoo! content, enhanced listings with conveniently organized information about key topics, and tools to tailor the experience for Yahoo! users.

Yahoo! will focus on providing a compelling and innovative search experience that allows people to find and explore the things, people and sites that matter most to them. While Microsoft will provide the underlying platform, both companies will continue to create different, compelling and evolving experiences, competing for audience, engagement and clicks.

Transition Timeline

Yahoo! and Microsoft will work with advertisers, publishers and developers on a customized plan designed to make the transition as efficient and seamless as possible. Both companies will begin working closely with most partners well in advance of their planned transition to the Microsoft platform and will communicate important information to partners about the transition periodically via phone, email, webinars and a newly created website at Yahoo! & Microsoft Search Alliance – Official News on the Deal.

The companies will begin the transition of algorithmic search and have set a goal of completing that effort in at least the United States by the end of 2010. The companies also hope to make significant progress transitioning U.S. advertisers and publishers prior to the 2010 holiday season, but may wait until 2011 if they determine that the transition will be more effective after the holiday season. All global customers and partners are expected to be transitioned by early 2012.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
What I was referring to was Microsoft's search deal with Yahoo, finalized last year. Anyways I found the press release. If Yahoo and Bing aren't the same yet, they will more or less be the same soon:
I know what you were talking about. Did my answer sound like I got it confused with something else?

Again, rIght now search results with Yahoo and Bing are NOT the same despite any agreement because the technologies are different.

But then again if you are going to search for and post a whole press release to answer your own question perhaps you can do that rather than post the question to begin with?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 06:47 PM

analogue, yes, it sounded like you didn't know what he was talking about. I thought the press release was interesting, and I was happy to now have to look it up myself.

mindwaves
Jun 14, 2010, 06:22 PM

I've switched to Bing for search, but will still use Gmail and maybe Google maps. I'll try Bing maps and decide later.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 07:06 PM

I search with Bing whenever possible, but there are certain terms that it still can't handle quite right. Plus there's no transit option on Bing Maps, which is a deal-breaker for me. Gmail is fantastic, so I won't be switching from that any time soon.

As for docs, have you tried the new office.live.com site? I haven't spent much time on it yet, but it seems pretty awesome. If that's not your cup of tea, check out Evernote; that's what I use for all the random thoughts I have at work.
( Last edited by TheoCryst; Jun 14, 2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: i can haz grammars?)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 07:57 PM

Bing is nowhere near Google when it comes to accuracy of search results, in my experience.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 08:35 PM

I doubt I'll give up Google Calendar syncing with BusyCal, GMail, and Goole contact syncing OTA any time soon.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2010, 09:54 PM

I don't see what the big deal is of Google vs. Apple. Sure, they are competitors in some areas, but they both offer services that the other doesn't. It's not like Apple's gonna launch it's own search engine or map feature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules