Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Don't Vote.

View Poll Results: Voting a duty?
Poll Options:
Yes, voting is a duty. Everyone has a responsibility to vote 3 votes (18.75%)
No, it is not a duty, it is a right. We should all vote, but it is not your duty to do so. 11 votes (68.75%)
Voting may be a right, but your vote doesn't mean squat 1 votes (6.25%)
Other 1 votes (6.25%)
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll
Don't Vote.
smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2010, 10:00 PM

A recent episode of Stossel interested me.

For those of you who don't know John Stossel, he was a consumer reporter on ABC who has gradually ascended from liberalism to a full-blown libertarian over his many years as a reporter. He now has a show on Fox Business Network.

The gist of his argument is that voting is serious, and if you are not educated in the issues and the candidates, you should just stay home.

It reminded me of what I told my daughter just before she turned 18.

We were at the kitchen table one day and she was talking about turning 18 and what that means, and she said "I can vote!" I replied; "Honey, every time I am watching a political show or a speech you say "Why are you watching that stupid show?", when I want to discuss issues you don't care, and if I suggest something for you to read you say, "That's gay." You may have the right to vote, but if you aren't interested in educating yourself you have no business voting. (or something to that effect)

It is a fallacy and a disservice to our country for rock stars and actors to pound it into young people's heads that it is their duty to vote and "voting is easy." Most young people don't give a damn about politics, at least not the details.

We tell people it's their "civic duty" to vote, and treat voter turnout as if is a football score. YEAH! BIGGER IS BETTER!" We would be much better off with a 20% voter turnout and a truly educated voter than we will ever be with a 90% voter turnout where 60% of them don't know what they hell they are doing.

Voting is not your duty, it is your right. One that you can choose to do or not to do. It is no more a duty than the right to free speech is a duty to speak freely. Voting is easy, responsible voting is not and responsible voting is what is needed. Not a higher score.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2010, 10:16 PM

Voting is a right. Voting can be performed by anyone with something close to 37ºC for a body temperature. It's a responsibility to vote in an educated manner, which is "hard work" for most people. So saying "it's a duty" would tend to rush people into buying the politicians' bill of goods and voting the way all the good sheep do. If they even noticed the whole "duty" thing in the first place.

I would like a LOT more people to vote in every single election. Instead, many leave the decision making to the hardline party faithful (who never had a genuine independent thought in their lives) and the crackpots. And the few, like me, who try to get their heads around the candidates and the issues.

Voting IS a serious matter. I'm glad that the "don't cares" stay home. But I'd like to see less of them and more people who DO care and who do something about it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2010, 11:18 PM

There is no reason to vote for the president. That vote truly counts for absolutely nothing.

Other than that, voting is a right, not a duty.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 7, 2010, 11:31 PM

What's the urban legend about the first name on the list in each category of the ballot is more likely to win the election?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2010, 11:21 AM

Voting is a right, not a duty. There could very well be an election where the candidates are Satan on the one hand and Lucifer on the other. So you should not be obligated to vote for the Devil no matter which name he's going by. But OTOH, if you choose not to vote then you have right to complain.

As for being educated on the issues, that is always the goal. But outside of political junkies the average American voter is woefully uninformed when it comes to the actual issues. Most people's votes are driven by their ideology or overall world view as opposed to the particulars on policy. And when issues do come into play it's generally on a few hot button social issues if anything.

OAW

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
It is a fallacy and a disservice to our country for rock stars and actors to pound it into young people's heads that it is their duty to vote
Proper rock stars don't do that. Proper rock stars pound it into young people's head that all politicians are scum and that voting only encourages them.

Doof don't vote. It's a pointless frivolity which the masses think is an important task but really all it is is you giving some idiot power over you.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2010, 11:41 AM

Voting makes more of an impact at the local level where you can make more of a difference. Presidential and congressional, not so much; especially congressional. The way they manipulate district lines, they have a 98% chance of being reelected.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Voting can be performed by anyone with something close to 37ºC for a body temperature.
Many an election has been won by voters who's body temp was 21ºC
45/47

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2010, 12:04 PM

If you're not going to vote, then politicians won't bother trying to do what you want. So it seems to me that if the candidates don't appeal to you, then refusing to vote would only make them appeal less (to you) in the next go-round.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
If you're not going to vote, then politicians won't bother trying to do what you want. So it seems to me that if the candidates don't appeal to you, then refusing to vote would only make them appeal less (to you) in the next go-round.
Yer problem here is that if you want to play the game, then you must realise that politicians are going to try to do what the average joe wants them to do... ...thus you must modify "what you want" to match that of the average if you're to stand any chance of getting it.

It's a stupid game. Why bother playing it?

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Doof don't vote. It's a pointless frivolity which the masses think is an important task but really all it is is you giving some idiot power over you.
Some idiot is going to have power over you either way. If you want some say as to which idiot that is, vote. If you don't, don't.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Some idiot is going to have power over you either way.
No. There are ways and means of extracting yourself from the game so that nobody has power over you. Well, not unless they have nice boobies, that is.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2010, 12:37 PM

No. There are ways and means of extracting yourself from the game so that nobody has power over you. Well, not unless they have nice boobies, that is.
Riiiiight. So if some idiot came along and wanted to abolish all copyright law, that wouldn't affect you?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2010, 01:08 PM

Yer problem here is that if you want to play the game, then you must realise that politicians are going to try to do what the average joe wants them to do... ...thus you must modify "what you want" to match that of the average if you're to stand any chance of getting it.

It's a stupid game. Why bother playing it?
You assume that only the winner has an impact. But the votes that go to the other candidates do get noticed, and their platforms are incorporated by others to appeal to those voters.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2010, 01:27 PM

A recent episode of Stossel interested me.

For those of you who don't know John Stossel, he was a consumer reporter on ABC who has gradually ascended from liberalism to a full-blown libertarian over his many years as a reporter. He now has a show on Fox Business Network.

The gist of his argument is that voting is serious, and if you are not educated in the issues and the candidates, you should just stay home.

It reminded me of what I told my daughter just before she turned 18.

We were at the kitchen table one day and she was talking about turning 18 and what that means, and she said "I can vote!" I replied; "Honey, every time I am watching a political show or a speech you say "Why are you watching that stupid show?", when I want to discuss issues you don't care, and if I suggest something for you to read you say, "That's gay." You may have the right to vote, but if you aren't interested in educating yourself you have no business voting. (or something to that effect)

It is a fallacy and a disservice to our country for rock stars and actors to pound it into young people's heads that it is their duty to vote and "voting is easy." Most young people don't give a damn about politics, at least not the details.

We tell people it's their "civic duty" to vote, and treat voter turnout as if is a football score. YEAH! BIGGER IS BETTER!" We would be much better off with a 20% voter turnout and a truly educated voter than we will ever be with a 90% voter turnout where 60% of them don't know what they hell they are doing.

Voting is not your duty, it is your right. One that you can choose to do or not to do. It is no more a duty than the right to free speech is a duty to speak freely. Voting is easy, responsible voting is not and responsible voting is what is needed. Not a higher score.
Let me guess, the bulk of these ignorant ill-informed voters are liberals?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
More likely the "Keep your goddamned government hands off my Medicare!" crowd I'd say.

OAW

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
More likely the "Keep your goddamned government hands off my Medicare!" crowd I'd say.

OAW
Despite the inanity of that article, yeah, we'd agree.

Oh yeah, and libruls 'cuz there stoopid.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 8, 2010, 04:19 PM

Oh yeah, and libruls 'cuz there stoopid.
As far as I've seen, "ignorant, ill-informed voters" are from all parties/ideologies, and think they're doing a good thing by voting in the first place. The problem is that they're just voting based on cheap TV commercials and some jerk that calls 'em at home to encourage them to vote for this fleabag over this other fleabag. They haven't done much more than seen those TV ads. They often haven't even looked at newspaper coverage of the election. As I said earlier, smart voting is hard work and it takes a lot of time and effort to make good choices among who's on the ballot.

'Round here, there are thousands of "ignorant, ill-informed" voters who simply buy what their local party organizers (both parties) tell them. These are the hard-core partisan voters who fill the polling places when they first open. These are the people who decide elections in Texas, often by simply bothering to vote for their party's candidate in the primaries.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2010, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Riiiiight. So if some idiot came along and wanted to abolish all copyright law, that wouldn't affect you?
If you have enough money, you can get away with anything.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2010, 12:30 AM

It's a right -and one that can be taken away. But I'd add the caveat that it is a duty to be informed about what one is actually voting for.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 9, 2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
It's a right -and one that can be taken away. But I'd add the caveat that it is a duty to be informed about what one is actually voting for.
...or voting against. I often wind up doing it that way. No candidate has enough going for him/her to warrant getting my vote, but the opponent has enough against him/her to warrant shifting my vote to someone else.

Unfortunately in the upcoming election, I have two bad choices for governor. I'll have to do a lot of homework to decide whether I want to vote against "Governor Good Hair" or against "Damaged Goods."

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If you have enough money, you can get away with anything.
Yeah, that's not lost on me. But if the source of said money is cut off, all bets are off.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2010, 05:12 PM

Unfortunately in the upcoming election, I have two bad choices for governor. I'll have to do a lot of homework to decide whether I want to vote against "Governor Good Hair" or against "Damaged Goods."
Same thing in California, only the choice is between "Previous Train Wreck" and "Nutmeg".

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2010, 01:22 AM

The lesser of two-evils option is not realy an option. When you only have a choice between crap and vomit, a vote against crap is still a vote for vomit.

If they really want to see a higher voter turnout and how the electorate really feels they should add a "none of the above" option to every ballot. I know I'd show up to check that box.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2010, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Same thing in California, only the choice is between "Previous Train Wreck" and "Nutmeg".
I thought her new nickname was "The Whore?"

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2010, 06:59 AM

its important to vote in the spirit of what our founding fathers envisioned. Small, efficient government that has been limited in how much they can interfere in our daily lives. What we have now is the opposite. Voting has more impact at the state and local level for a reason. The states were to have more power than the feds. We are the UNITED STATES of america after all. The states should be allowed to configure themselves to best utilize the people and resources in their states to the citizens advantage. Unions and such are a detriment.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 10, 2010, 09:33 AM

The lesser of two-evils option is not realy an option. When you only have a choice between crap and vomit, a vote against crap is still a vote for vomit.

If they really want to see a higher voter turnout and how the electorate really feels they should add a "none of the above" option to every ballot. I know I'd show up to check that box.
In the 1980 science fiction/alternate universe novel by L. Neil Smith, The Probability Broach, all ballots have "none of the above is acceptable" as an option. At one point the main character is taken on a tour of the U.S. Capital's hall of presidential portraits; the guide stops at an empty frame that contains the words "None Of The Above Is Acceptable," and notes this was "maybe our finest hour." Of course in our society this would be workable only in a fashion somewhat altered from the novel-we'd have to run a whole new election of the majority chose "none of the above." But I still like the idea.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2010, 05:02 PM

i think powerful people want the majority of stupid people to vote. It makes marketing much easier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules